Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new rubicon 4xe. Everyone says it's supposed to be silent, but there's a high pitched whine when I drive. Is this normal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine isn't completely silent. I can hear the whine of the motor too. I'm used it from my wife's Prius Prime so I wasn't suprised by it. It might also be I am getting older and am likely losing pitch ranges. If you have young ears, it might be more prominent to you. That being said, without hearing it, it's hard to say whether there is a problem or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. It's not that prominent but definitely noticeable and tbh, a little annoying at low speeds. From the reviews, I expected "silence."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not to downplay your disappointment, but I think you'll get used to it and barely notice it after a while unless you listen for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to downplay your disappointment, but I think you'll get used to it and barely notice it after a while unless you listen for it.
I think so, Just want to be sure it's not indicative of a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think so, Just want to be sure it's not indicative of a problem.
What would you compare that noise to for someone who's never been around a 4xe? Would it be comparable to say a microwave oven or maybe when your under or near high tension electrical wires. I know one reviewer said when off-road ,meaning stop and crawl type driving, that all he could hear were the electrical contractors opening and closing. I'm not familiar with the high voltage system on the 4xe but with industrial electrical drives and inverters you can always hear the "flow" of power even through a solid state type system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like someone blowing through a whistle at less than full breath. It does seem to get louder while accelerating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like someone blowing through a whistle at less than full breath. It does seem to get louder while accelerating.
One would think they could have added some lightweight insulation around the primary electrical motor just for that. The first thought I had when reading about the 4xe was how nice it would be to have the functionality of an unlimited Rubicon with just the sound of dirt under your tires. That might be an upgrade they come out with or a DIY mod if it gets really annoying. Hopefully I can find the "ONE" soon and hear it for myself haha.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hear some whining, but it's actually the Jeep complaining ...

"Why can't we go drive on the beach? I want to take my top off ... waaaaaaah ..."

·
Registered
55 Posts
Picked up my new rubicon 4xe. Everyone says it's supposed to be silent, but there's a high pitched whine when I drive. Is this normal?
Hi @RJeep,

If you decide to visit your dealer to have this looked into, please let us know. We would like to have your experience documented on your behalf.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just realized the other day that Max Regen causes an additional noise I never noticed before. I wouldn't describe it as a whine but more like a hum. It's present even when the vehicle isn't moving on mine. Once I get up to speed, I don't notice it because of wind noise which is likely why I didn't notice it before. I recently have been doing local trips on electric with Max Regen on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've watched some videos of high performance EVs and they can make some interesting sounds. Electric motors still make sound, just much less per HP.

·
Registered
231 Posts
One of the getting acquainted/marketing materials it comes with is specifically about all the different and interesting sounds the 4xe makes. Guess in some focus groups, people were like, wtf was that sound?

I don't hear the pedestrian warning so much unless I'm near other sound reflecting objects. From the outside or in my garage, it sounds a bit like a UFO passing by.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts