Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude 4xe
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time off the lot on the drive home about 20 miles. The battery was at 0% so we drove it home in E-Save mode with Max Regen activated. Upon pulling it in the garage it smelled bad and the engine was extremely hot. Could barely touch the hood! Does anyone know if this is normal-like a break in thing or should we be concerned? BTW temp that day was only around 70 degrees.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First time off the lot on the drive home about 20 miles. The battery was at 0% so we drove it home in E-Save mode with Max Regen activated. Upon pulling it in the garage it smelled bad and the engine was extremely hot. Could barely touch the hood! Does anyone know if this is normal-like a break in thing or should we be concerned? BTW temp that day was only around 70 degrees.
Do you remember what your water temp gauge was reading?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not. I'll pay attention next time and look at that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You don't need to use e-save when the battery runs out. It just turns into a hybrid.

That doesn't sound normal. I take it you weren't in 4L? There should be gauges you can pull up in the off-road pages.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As someone else said, your best option is hybrid mode. ESave is like a special case use for when you want to use the battery later.
There is a smell for a couple hundred miles. Just normal break in stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can also use ESave mode to back charge the battery when you battery is depleted. just depends on your settings

·
Registered
15 Posts
To answer your question I also had that smell after my first two drives. cant speak to the heat from the engine since i didn't go touch the hood but the smell hasn't returned. I imagine @FirstF80InSpace is correct and it may just be the cosmoline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all. Hasn't been excessively hot since then. Maybe just being paranoid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Engine smell perfectly normal for new vehicle. Mine did it too and I suspect smell will last longer as my dealership fully charged the battery and engine barely runs or gets hot when hybrid batteries are charged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts