Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
How often depends on many things such as the remaining level of the battery. Jeep doesn't provide much guidance here but for the type of battery being used (lithium ion) there's 'rules of thumbs' to follow for best life of the battery such as:
  • don't fully discharge when possible
  • do frequent partial charges when possible
  • don't always max out the charge

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyone know how long I can go without a plug in charge for my 4xe? A week, a month, a year?
All your life. It can be run like a regular hybrid, never plugged once in its life. Won’t be optimal, but won’t break your car. Maybe a little bit of premature battery loss of capacity - but it will matter to the next owner, not to you.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
158 Posts
All your life. It can be run like a regular hybrid, never plugged once in its life. Won’t be optimal, but won’t break your car. Maybe a little bit of premature battery loss of capacity - but it will matter to the next owner, not to you.
But if one were to do that in the long-term, the situation where the vehicle will no longer start up will have the owner confused and angry at Jeep for their dead 12V battery. Maybe invest in a trickle charger for the 12V if for the long-term unable to charge the HVB.

·
Registered
56 Posts
But if one were to do that in the long-term, the situation where the vehicle will no longer start up will have the owner confused and angry at Jeep for their dead 12V battery. Maybe invest in a trickle charger for the 12V if for the long-term unable to charge the HVB.

Whenever the propulsion system is active, or electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE) charging is in process, the 4xe system uses power from the High Voltage battery to actively maintain the 12 volt battery state of charge (like an alternator). This can happen even when the engine is not running. However, when the hood is open, this function is suppressed.

Which means that when someone drives on gas with <1% SoC, that the propulsion system is active and this there is transfer from the HV battery to the 12V.

No need for a triickle charger from what I understand.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,209 Posts

That is great info, thanks for that. Been wondering about those very questions since I’ve owned my Jeep. I have a battery maintainer on it, because I don’t drive real often and I was confused as to how the 12v was maintained when HV battery was 100% charged. And I always leave the Jeep plugged into the charger. I did know the HV battery will top off the 12v every 3 months if it’s left undriven and there is adequate charge in the HV battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.