Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would pose this question to the pro's here, I ordered my HA on 6/14 (still gathering parts in D status...) and was wondering how I should drive to work.

I am roughly 23 miles away from work and the beginning portion of it is all down hill.

Knowing I wouldn't have any battery on the ride home should I drive in hybrid or electric on the way to work to minimize my gas usage in general?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hybrid and electric modes are mostly the same when you have electric range. But if I know I'll be using gas I'll just start off in hybrid mode and not overthink it too much.

People have been debating if forcing the engine to run for trips under 80 miles is beneficial or not. I don't think it is as it just all comes down to energy, weather it's gas or electric. But I may be wrong.

Too bad work isn't uphill. You'd probably be able to make it back home on mostly battery and regeneration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my 4xe in mid April. I have a similar drive to yours.
Here is what I have been doing:
  • Keep it in hybrid mode and drive normally.
  • When the all electric range is depleted, it is still a hybrid. The battery will provide energy for starts, shifts and charges the battery.
  • The % number of above the right hand range indicator is the percentage of all electric range, not the % charge of the battery.
  • If you don't have a level 2 charger, get one so that you can keep the 4xe charged if you have multiple trips per day. Also check with you utility company for rebates for smart charges.
  • Get an applike Plug Share that shows the location of public chargers. You might find one close enough to your work location to charge for the return trip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my 4xe in mid April. I have a similar drive to yours.
Here is what I have been doing:
  • Keep it in hybrid mode and drive normally.
  • When the all electric range is depleted, it is still a hybrid. The battery will provide energy for starts, shifts and charges the battery.
  • The % number of above the right hand range indicator is the percentage of all electric range, not the % charge of the battery.
  • If you don't have a level 2 charger, get one so that you can keep the 4xe charged if you have multiple trips per day. Also check with you utility company for rebates for smart charges.
  • Get an applike Plug Share that shows the location of public chargers. You might find one close enough to your work location to charge for the return trip.
Do you have it in 4H as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have it in 4H as well?
If the roads are dry I run it in 2H.

I find that the engine is more likely to come on during accelerating when in 4H. You also may lose 1 to 2% of MPG by running in 4H. I haven't seen this but was discussed by Dan Fry from Jeep in one of the "Ask The Expert your Wrangler 4XE Question"s sessions on YouTube by Wrangler4XEFans.

If you want to check it out here is the link to the first session: Ask The Expert your Wrangler 4XE Questions - Episode 1

·
Registered
131 Posts
You should drive over to the closest Jeep dealer and ask them to buy it. Then Uber over to the closest Tesla store and place a deposit before you start having problems like pretty much everyone on this forum

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some days I need about 175% of my battery for commuting (my commute locations vary). I consider a full charge to be equivalent to about 1.2 gallons of gas, so if you’ve got a pay charger near work that can charge you for 2.5 hours and cost less than a gallon of gas, then it’s probably worth it to charge. Otherwise, just leave it in hybrid. If you turn on max regen, it seems the brake lights come on a lot, so I stopped using that mode after I realized that’s why someone was trying to run me off the road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Some days I need about 175% of my battery for commuting (my commute locations vary). I consider a full charge to be equivalent to about 1.2 gallons of gas, so if you’ve got a pay charger near work that can charge you for 2.5 hours and cost less than a gallon of gas, then it’s probably worth it to charge. Otherwise, just leave it in hybrid. If you turn on max regen, it seems the brake lights come on a lot, so I stopped using that mode after I realized that’s why someone was trying to run me off the road.
Stop using the gas pedal as an on/off switch and use it as a dimmer instead. You can regen(slow down) while not activating the brake lights. You can also coast if you find the sweet spot in the gas pedal. Coming from a Tesla this is just second nature for me but my wife(primary driver of the 4Xe) is still a little jerky with her pedal controls. If you change your center screen display to your power delivery methods*? (the one that shows battery power and gas power on the right half of the circle it can help you determine these spots in the pedal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stop using the gas pedal as an on/off switch and use it as a dimmer instead. You can regen(slow down) while not activating the brake lights. You can also coast if you find the sweet spot in the gas pedal. Coming from a Tesla this is just second nature for me but my wife(primary driver of the 4Xe) is still a little jerky with her pedal controls. If you change your center screen display to your power delivery methods*? (the one that shows battery power and gas power on the right half of the circle it can help you determine these spots in the pedal.
Is there somewhere on the dash that will inform me when the brake lights are on? I haven’t looked that closely, but I haven’t seen them come on yet.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Is there somewhere on the dash that will inform me when the brake lights are on? I haven’t looked that closely, but I haven’t seen them come on yet.
If you feather the throttle like GAGT was suggesting the brake lights will activate like a normal driver that knows how to not ride their brakes.

If you are on a dark road by yourself, you can check the mirror and see the brake light activation to get a feel for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.