Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law bought a 2021 4xe. It was explained to us at the dealership that the engine would regenerate the batteries in it. We are having to plug it in every day which is not what he wanted as all other hybrids typically recharge themselves while driving like my BMW I8. Is this normal for these jeeps to have to plug in every time you drive it for more than 30 miles or is there something wrong with his?

Thanks for the help.

Rob

·
Registered
262 Posts
The i8 is a different animal. It is an electric performance car. It’s only a hybrid for the sake of the electric performance. It’s performance is the priority more than the efficiency.

The Wrangler 4XE does charge the battery. When it hits the “<1%” state, there’s still about 15% left. That’s when the 4XE is comparable to standard hybrids where there’s a constant eb and flow of power in and out of the battery. The point of plug-in hybrids is that you have some electric range to be able to cover daily commutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The i8 is a different animal. It is an electric performance car. It’s only a hybrid for the sake of the electric performance. It’s performance is the priority more than the efficiency.

The Wrangler 4XE does charge the battery. When it hits the “<1%” state, there’s still about 15% left. That’s when the 4XE is comparable to standard hybrids where there’s a constant eb and flow of power in and out of the battery. The point of plug-in hybrids is that you have some electric range to be able to cover daily commutes.
Just so I am clear, it does have to be plugged in every time the charge gets to 1% because his is not doing the eb and flow, sits at 1%

·
Registered
262 Posts
It doesn’t have to be plugged in but it’s more efficient if you do. You could just run it as a hybrid. It’s much like the i8 where you can do either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just so I am clear, it does have to be plugged in every time the charge gets to 1% because his is not doing the eb and flow, sits at 1%
It does not need to be plugged in once it gets to 1%, as Wrangler4XEFan said above there is an additional 15% of battery capacity underneath that <1%, you just don’t get status on it, when the engine kicks on it is cycling between charging/discharging the battery based on power demand, you will always have access to the electric motor horsepower even when it reads <1%. Plugging the 4xe in simply allows you to save on gas costs, not required and does not change the performance profile of the vehicle.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have never had to plug it in once.
Technically, you don’t “have” to plug in any plug-in hybrid. But not doing so makes them less efficient and over the life-span of the vehicle, it has a bigger carbon footprint than a comparable gas model. PHEVs can be worse from a carbon emissions standpoint than a gas model if not plugged in. They will also cost more per mile to operate over the lifespan of the vehicle because electric is cheaper. So while you can operate a PHEV without ever plugging it in, it defeats the purpose of them being made to begin with.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the help, he can not get the Jeep to run on engine only until the battery is depleted to 1%
Right. That’s what PHEVs do. They operate in electric mode as much as they can until they reach a state where they operate as a hybrid. When it reaches the <1% state, it goes in to hybrid mode. It never operates on gas only since it’s always a hybrid.

·
Registered
378 Posts

sorry i could not resist.

maybe explain " hybrid , elec, and e-save" or

" page 8"
E-SELECT MODE
This system allows the driver to select different modes by pushing the following buttons located below the headlight switch.E-Select Mode Switch
Hybrid: Depletes electric range first, then gas range.Automatically switches between using gas and battery for greatest efficiency and performance.Best HVAC and acceleration performance.Default Mode
.Electric: Prevents the engine from running, unless you absolutely need it.Acceleration and heating performance may be degraded.Engine will switch on during a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) event, or if cruise control requires it.Vehicle will automatically switch to Hybrid mode upon reaching 0% State Of Charge (SOC) or due to system needs.Not allowed with manual gate operation unless in 4WD Low and Selec-Speed Control (SSC) is active.
E-Save: Engine only. Saves the current SOC/Electric range for later.SOC/Electric range may increase, but will not decrease.Engine may turn off at a stop.You can further customize the E-Save oper-ation in the Radio, refer to the Uconnect Settings section of your Owner’s Manual for more information.

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ler_4xe/P125757_21_JL_H_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

·
Registered
378 Posts
the bmw i8 charges his battery while driving only if you use the non eletric modes , in hybrid mode only with regenative braking...sounds familiar to the e-save with uconnect e-save mode "charge" to charge the batteery, + hybrid mode with reg. braking (or + max regn. braking) .

the 4xe battery is 17 kwh strong. a full charge for electric driving is 14.5 kwh. 14.5 / 17 = 0.85 =85% battery volume . 15 % left for hybrid driving /start/stop. without charging over the plugin. the 15% battery is the holding charge . it will be recharge from the gas engine + braking power to operate permanently in hybrid (gas+electric engines).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the bmw i8 charges his battery while driving only if you use the non eletric modes , in hybrid mode only with regenative braking...sounds familiar to the e-save with uconnect e-save mode "charge" to charge the batteery, + hybrid mode with reg. braking (or + max regn. braking) .

the 4xe battery is 17 kwh strong. a full charge for electric driving is 14.5 kwh. 14.5 / 17 = 0.85 =85% battery volume . 15 % left for hybrid driving /start/stop. without charging over the plugin. the 15% battery is the holding charge . it will be recharge from the gas engine + braking power to operate permanently in hybrid (gas+electric engines).
Got it, that was a good explanation. The engine in my BMW charges the battery all the time while running except when I switch it to Electric only.
View attachment 1124

sorry i could not resist.

maybe explain " hybrid , elec, and e-save" or

" page 8"
E-SELECT MODE
This system allows the driver to select different modes by pushing the following buttons located below the headlight switch.E-Select Mode Switch
Hybrid: Depletes electric range first, then gas range.Automatically switches between using gas and battery for greatest efficiency and performance.Best HVAC and acceleration performance.Default Mode
.Electric: Prevents the engine from running, unless you absolutely need it.Acceleration and heating performance may be degraded.Engine will switch on during a Wide Open Throttle (WOT) event, or if cruise control requires it.Vehicle will automatically switch to Hybrid mode upon reaching 0% State Of Charge (SOC) or due to system needs.Not allowed with manual gate operation unless in 4WD Low and Selec-Speed Control (SSC) is active.
E-Save: Engine only. Saves the current SOC/Electric range for later.SOC/Electric range may increase, but will not decrease.Engine may turn off at a stop.You can further customize the E-Save oper-ation in the Radio, refer to the Uconnect Settings section of your Owner’s Manual for more information.

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ler_4xe/P125757_21_JL_H_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf
Even when he switches it to E-Save, it will run off of battery only until depleted to 1% unless he gives it enough power to engage the engine as well just like the hybrid mode. Is that normal for the E-Save mode?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Got it, that was a good explanation. The engine in my BMW charges the battery all the time while running except when I switch it to Electric only.

Even when he switches it to E-Save, it will run off of battery only until depleted to 1% unless he gives it enough power to engage the engine as well just like the hybrid mode. Is that normal for the E-Save mode?
okay , maybe the 2nd electric engine (alternater replacement ) is not working well, but then your 12 volt battery in the front will not charge too.
to check . 1st enter the e-drive info on the uconnect and select e-save and check mark the CHARGE option.
2nd let the 4xe idle in parking and select the e-save button (little blue light comes on) and tip down the throttle , the ICE must go on. keep watching the ev battery % or miles and see it the 12v battery will show 14.5 volt .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also e-save won't have the engine charge the battery unless you have that setting turned on in the U-connent hydride pages.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts