Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it's cold here in Colorado, I see my 4xe using the engine almost all the time. I leave my ~32-40F garage on battery, and after a few minutes in the cold the engine starts and doesn't stop until I turn the Jeep off. Electric mode is "temporarily unavailable", though I saw it come back (and the engine stop) when the weather warmed up to just below freezing and I drove for a while.

Anyone know the actual rules for how the 4xE is supposed to handle cold weather? I really wonder why the engine needs to run at all, but I'm guessing there's a good engineering reason.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There’s a few other recent threads on the subject
Here’s one…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't think it was FORM causing engine use in the cold. I thought fuel oil refresh had a prompt or something on the screen? I also figured it wouldn't suddenly go away on a (slightly) warmer day.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,265 Posts
Yeah, read around, there are plenty of questions already posted of this. Probably at the top of the forum for a month now. At least…

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cold starting a DI ICE under heavy load at say 50mph going up a hill = very, very bad

<10F = cold

Vehicle knows when it's cold outside but doesn't know how it will be operated or for how long. Stellantis is suppose to cover the warranty on the ICE for 5 years so they are mitigating "bad" by taking away the Electric Mode operation when it's cold outside. Or hot outside. Or when it has old gas. Or when it has gas in the oil. Or when you turn the cabin heater on. Or when you turn the cabin AC on... Or when it damn well feels like it on a random Tuesday afternoon in the Wendy's drive through in the fall with the doors and top off. 🤷‍♂️

Similar post this morning. @Shakes has the right recommendation in the following post.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Stellantis is suppose to cover the warranty on the ICE for 5 years so they are mitigating "bad" by taking away the Electric Mode operation when it's cold outside. Or hot outside. Or when it has old gas. Or when it has gas in the oil. Or when you turn the cabin heater on. Or when you turn the cabin AC on... Or when it damn well feels like it on a random Tuesday afternoon in the Wendy's drive through in the fall with the doors and top off
Other brands do similar things.

On the rav4, they take away electric mode if you turn on the window defroster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now that it's cold here in Colorado, I see my 4xe using the engine almost all the time. I leave my ~32-40F garage on battery, and after a few minutes in the cold the engine starts and doesn't stop until I turn the Jeep off. Electric mode is "temporarily unavailable", though I saw it come back (and the engine stop) when the weather warmed up to just below freezing and I drove for a while.

Anyone know the actual rules for how the 4xE is supposed to handle cold weather? I really wonder why the engine needs to run at all, but I'm guessing there's a good engineering reason.
I have the same behavior here in Iowa over the past few days were the highs are around 0.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I wonder if it turns off after a while/some temp on something, or if it's just

if (outside < 15F) {
engine = yes;
}

I saw a post (supposedly) from an engineer stating that that's pretty much what it does, separate from the warm weather fuel/oil refresh, but now I can't seem to find it.

Either way, it doesn't bother me too much I guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nathan. Same issue for me, in Colorado also. It let me run electric only with the fan below speed 2 and the defrosters off. Yesterday when it was 8F, it was gas only regardless. Have you noticed that “heart beat” sound yet?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, no, no heartbeat sound here - my engine sounds pretty good after the warmup period, where it does that funky loud heat-the-cat thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This occurred only once so far. Seemed to come from behind glove compartment, and happened when on electric. Sounds like it’s pumping something. Pretty wild.

·
Registered
354 Posts
@Erik0338
LOL ... Yes! Heard it for the first time today. 12F out at the moment. Lasted maybe 5 seconds. Assuming it is a blend door or something because I felt cold air on my feet prior to the noise.
Heart beat noise was a good description.
Very interested in what it actually is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same behavior here in Iowa over the past few days were the highs are around 0.
Fellow Iowan 4xeRubi (Des Moines area), I left the 50ish F garage this AM Electric and it went Hybrid ICE at around 17F (pretty normal when it sees the rapid temp drop). When it is still around 30F Electric remains an option. Crazy, then yesterday it was after a remote start on ICE, unplugged Level2 & it ran Electric for a few miles until key items must have cooled on the drive home.... Hey I just drive and enjoy as long as I never experience the full shutdown event from weeks back with it was 20F with low SOC and I pushed Electric to use up my last few battery mile on the way to work.... When it is cold out and combined with low SOC available power is sluggish it seems and the 4xe systems wants to do what is programmed vs what buttons you might press.

Loving the TECH in this unique PHEV beast! :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cold starting a DI ICE under heavy load at say 50mph going up a hill = very, very bad

<10F = cold

Vehicle knows when it's cold outside but doesn't know how it will be operated or for how long. Stellantis is suppose to cover the warranty on the ICE for 5 years so they are mitigating "bad" by taking away the Electric Mode operation when it's cold outside. Or hot outside. Or when it has old gas. Or when it has gas in the oil. Or when you turn the cabin heater on. Or when you turn the cabin AC on... Or when it damn well feels like it on a random Tuesday afternoon in the Wendy's drive through in the fall with the doors and top off. 🤷‍♂️

Similar post this morning. @Shakes has the right recommendation in the following post.

I am from Canada...and I have the same issue says "Fuel/Oil Refresh In Progress, Electric Mode Is Temporarily Disabled".....that happened over a month ago. The only time it briefly restored, was when I was almost completely out of fuel, as I was trying to burn off all the gas. I'm very disappointed! I love my jeep...just want it to do what it was purchased for....not to have a gas bill!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never saw the actual fuel/oil refresh message, and now that it's gotten warmer, electric mode is back. I'm not too bothered by the apparent temp based forced gas usage, since it doesn't get that cold here - but I understand why people are unhappy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I never saw the actual fuel/oil refresh message, and now that it's gotten warmer, electric mode is back. I'm not too bothered by the apparent temp based forced gas usage, since it doesn't get that cold here - but I understand why people are unhappy.
Yep honestly it sucks. Where I am in Alberta, it's been been between -20c and -35c for about a month now, so the vehicle has been stuck to just using gas since then. I can normally squeeze 5 minutes out of the electric mode when I start my car in the garage but it'll soon kick me out of it once I'm a few km down the road.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,265 Posts
Yep honestly it sucks. Where I am in Alberta, it's been been between -20c and -35c for about a month now, so the vehicle has been stuck to just using gas since then. I can normally squeeze 5 minutes out of the electric mode when I start my car in the garage but it'll soon kick me out of it once I'm a few km down the road.
Yep, just drove about 27 miles, single digits for temps, used mostly gas but some electric. Mostly on inside accessories being on.
Im ok with it, but I don’t drive much so it won’t be that expensive. If I was commuting every day it would run through more gas than we all expected when we bought these. Maybe they will come up with a solution to this.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts