Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove my Rubicon home and noticed the e Milage is not what I would have expected. After reading the manual, it says in hybrid mode the vehicle uses up the battery first then then switches to gas, which doesn’t sound like anything different than just running in battery mode and the jeep switching to gas when it’s gone. Anyone know what’s up with that?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just drove my Rubicon home and noticed the e Milage is not what I would have expected. After reading the manual, it says in hybrid mode the vehicle uses up the battery first then then switches to gas, which doesn’t sound like anything different than just running in battery mode and the jeep switching to gas when it’s gone. Anyone know what’s up with that?
In hybrid mode the battery/electric motor is basically used to get the 4xe going when accelerating, then the gas motor kicks in. While in electric mode everything is done by the electric motor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
@Tonguencheek Jeep did this because stop-and-go traffic and most city driving conditions contribute to worse range numbers in ICE vehicles. So looking at the 4xe's setup from that angle, it makes perfect sense they did this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my observations while driving in electric mode the ICE will not get engaged/started until the battery is at 1 to 0% or full throttle is applied for more than about 1 second.
In hybrid mode the 4xe prefers the battery but will start the ice above around 50% throttle and is more likely to engage/start the ICE as loads increase and even more so below 30% battery (for example a moderate hill with 60% battery hybrid mode does not start the ICE, but the same hill at the same speed at 25% battery ICE does start, and in my driving seems to stay on a little longer once loads / throttle is reduced before turning off, unlike electric which tries to turn of the ICE asap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
How do I tell how many engine miles I have? Breaking in to 300 miles could take awhile if it keeps running on battery. Maybe I should stop charging it during the first couple weeks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How do I tell how many engine miles I have? Breaking in to 300 miles could take awhile if it keeps running on battery. Maybe I should stop charging it during the first couple weeks.
As long as you don't drive in fully electric mode you should pretty much get 300 engine miles as you're driving from my understanding.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A little late with the reply, but the trip screen splits out battery and gas (and also shows the total).

·
Registered
45 Posts
As long as you don't drive in fully electric mode you should pretty much get 300 engine miles as you're driving from my understanding.
Hybrid used all the battery first. I know its not the same as the electric mode, but not different enough. Maybe I just need to start mashing the accelerator (once its broken in). Although, I'm only getting 20-21 mpg around town on gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hybrid used all the battery first. I know its not the same as the electric mode, but not different enough. Maybe I just need to start mashing the accelerator (once its broken in). Although, I'm only getting 20-21 mpg around town on gas.
It keeps getting more efficient as you break in the engine. My battery went down to zero about 8 miles from the dealership when I brought it home. It took about 2500 miles, but now my battery in hybrid mode lasts about 40 miles. I am getting avg 29mpg, charging only at night. I drive about 100 miles/day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Completely agree, why even have a Hybrid button? I am currently getting 28 miles on electric but the moment I get on a highway I have to change to E-save. It is so frustrating that while doing 75 the battery just flies away and 20 minutes into the drive I hit traffic and am using gas for stop and go. The lesson is learned but I fear that when I continue to go back and forth from E-save to Hybrid as much as I do something is going to break. I would love for an update that once 40 or 45 mph is reached it goes into gas and if you don't want that you till have the electric button.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Completely agree, why even have a Hybrid button? I am currently getting 28 miles on electric but the moment I get on a highway I have to change to E-save. It is so frustrating that while doing 75 the battery just flies away and 20 minutes into the drive I hit traffic and am using gas for stop and go. The lesson is learned but I fear that when I continue to go back and forth from E-save to Hybrid as much as I do something is going to break. I would love for an update that once 40 or 45 mph is reached it goes into gas and if you don't want that you till have the electric button.
Why would changing modes break anything?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts