Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...
I've had a bunch of PHEVs and they've all used up the battery first and then switched to gas if needed.
That was perfect for me because most of my trips are 20 miles or less, and then I recharge.
When I am making that kind of short trip in the 4xe, does it make sense for me to switch to Electric to avoid burning any gas?
And if so, is there anyway to set the default mode to Electric? (Hint Hint)
Thanks for any insight.
Gregg

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey...
I've had a bunch of PHEVs and they've all used up the battery first and then switched to gas if needed.
That was perfect for me because most of my trips are 20 miles or less, and then I recharge.
When I am making that kind of short trip in the 4xe, does it make sense for me to switch to Electric to avoid burning any gas?
Thanks for any insight.
Gregg
I believe I read that the hybrid mode is pre-selected upon startup and one cannot make a new default. This is due to the EPA rating, and that it would suffer if the default was able to be changed.

But I default to those with hands on.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I do all my day to day driving with electric mode on. It prevents warm-ups from happening and you have to floor it a bit harder to get the engine on. It helps if you want to stick 100% electric driving.

The 4xe will occasionally try to warm-up if you are in hybrid mode. It's a little strange feeling as it will do this when there is no load on the engine and just charges the battery.

Hybrid mode is also a good set and forget mode. Well, it's the default mode, so we don't really need to set it. It's basic PHEV operation there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey...
Thanks for any insight.
Gregg
We leave ours in default Hybrid mode and it uses electric first and then the ICE comes on when the battery is depleted. Yours doesn't work the same way? If ai drive aggressively then the ICE will come on so I try and not do that very often.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Drive very conservatively in hybrid mode and it stays electric only for me on short trips. If I am driving over longer distances with interstate driving connecting me to the destination, I sometimes put it in e-save to run the ICE on the interstate where it is most efficient and switch back to hybrid to run on electric at the origin and destination.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
Drive very conservatively in hybrid mode and it stays electric only for me on short trips. If I am driving over longer distances with interstate driving connecting me to the destination, I sometimes put it in e-save to run the ICE on the interstate where it is most efficient and switch back to hybrid to run on electric at the origin and destination.
I’ve just recently started doing this. I also switch to battery charging when in e-save mode in the hybrid app. Then switch back out of it when I switch back to hybrid mode to use the rest of the electric battery up. I realize that’s less fuel efficient when running ICE but I don’t care. I’d rather recoup some electric range because I like how it drives in electric much better.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Same here....I also like to save battery for my destinations because I secretly enjoy sneaking up on people in parking lots.

·
Registered
901 Posts
You don't ever have it turn on? I frequently see mine will turn on once battery is below 95% and I'm slowing down and coming to a stop.

I have one stretch I drive where I've seen it come on in exactly the same spot on multiple occasions.

However, this only seems to occur if it has been over 24 hours without the engine running.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I let the onboard computer decides( Hybrid ) . In my case I do not drive aggresively and sometimes when I still have lots of battery left, the engine kicks in, for whatever reason but stays on for 30 or 40 seconds, maybe it is priming the engine and lubricating so I prefer not to fuss with it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
It's kind of neat how it does that. The engine gets to lubricate and warm up without being loaded heavily.

If I know I need to get on it hard, I'll run the engine in advance. Supposedly it's okay on occasion but I feel funny cold flooring it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's kind of neat how it does that. The engine gets to lubricate and warm up without being loaded heavily.

If I know I need to get on it hard, I'll run the engine in advance. Supposedly it's okay on occasion but I feel funny cold flooring it.
I do the same. I leave it in default Hybrid mode most times. If a significant portion of my drive is highway speeds then I switch to e-save (I don't charge though). If I know I am going to do something to cause the engine to turn on then I like to pre-run it first which is pretty easy to do just by moving the gear selector to Manual briefly.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
90 Posts
Knowing I would travel approximately 45 miles round trip, this is how it went. Max regen engaged, default hybrid mode engaged and selecting manual shift mode (giving the ICE priority) results in an approximate 80/20 load share. This is beneficial in two ways, firstly it heats the engine coolant that contributes to cabin heating and second it has a slower battery drain rate. Keeping an eye on the charge level of the battery and the distance to final destination allows one to calculate when to switch to auto drive mode (giving the battery priority) so as to fully deplete (<1%) the battery at the same time as pulling up to the home or satellite charge station.

My intention is to arrive home at <1% of battery regardless of total distance. Home electricity at 11 cents is our most affordable propulsion fuel at this time. Gasoline fuel is currently just over $3.00.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Knowing I would travel approximately 45 miles round trip, this is how it went. Max regen engaged, default hybrid mode engaged and selecting manual shift mode (giving the ICE priority) results in an approximate 80/20 load share. This is beneficial in two ways, firstly it heats the engine coolant that contributes to cabin heating and second it has a slower battery drain rate. Keeping an eye on the charge level of the battery and the distance to final destination allows one to calculate when to switch to auto drive mode (giving the battery priority) so as to fully deplete (<1%) the battery at the same time as pulling up to the home or satellite charge station.

My intention is to arrive home at <1% of battery regardless of total distance. Home electricity at 11 cents is our most affordable propulsion fuel at this time. Gasoline fuel is currently just over $3.00.
I tried the manual shift a few times, but kept forgetting after stop lights so I'd Rev really high before I remembered to shift. I'm guessing I'm not gaining much mpg as a result.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too have been going back and forth on this. My daily commute is 15 miles and I can recharge at work. So I always put it in electric mode as I can do the full roundtrip all electric/no gas and don't pay for the charge at the office. It is mildly annoying when I forget to switch from Hybrid to Electric when I start the trip either way!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here....I also like to save battery for my destinations because I secretly enjoy sneaking up on people in parking lots.
That is correct. You can indeed do this (sneak up on anyone even in parking lots (although you will be seen unless you can shut off all the lights! I did this with a few electric wiring tricks. Just like the German U boats. you can run silent, run deep like lol. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts