Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21 JL Rubicon 4xe on 38” Nitto Ridge Grapplers
24 Posts
Looks sick! I was on Mc Cray road. It’s the fire road up near the top of “fremontia”. In my case I was way too close to the edge to make the turn from Mc Cray down to Fremontia. I noticed last week when I went back they rebuilt and reinforced the trail all along where I slid in.
My friend who was following me said that my rig fell in rear wheels first, so the back must have washed out as it was a right hand turn. I was probably going about 1mph honestly. I definitely learned that I need to pay attention at all times, especially on the “easy” trails.
It’s nice to hear that you are liking your 4xe. I mean the power to weight ratio is insanely good for a stock car, and you are not the first to suggest that the weight could be an advantage possibly. Learning to crawl at crawl speed has been very difficult for me. I usually favor high speed driving…
I View attachment 2219
I know exactly where that is. That area just has so many hidden drops and deceiving lines. Glad your ok, hope you get another one soon!

I live a little south in San Luis Obispo County. Are you close by. Maybe we could meet up when you get your replacement!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks sick! I was on Mc Cray road. It’s the fire road up near the top of “fremontia”. In my case I was way too close to the edge to make the turn from Mc Cray down to Fremontia.
The top of Fremontia into McCray has been eroding for a while. It's gotten worse as folks have used more gas and wheelspin to make it up over the top. Glad they reinforced it. It ought to be possible for folks to "blue trail" their way up to Hector Heights without leaving brown stains on their seats.

I do like driving Fremontia, and have driven it both directions. EDIT - in my Tacoma. I don't (yet) have a 4xe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The top of Fremontia into McCray has been eroding for a while. It's gotten worse as folks have used more gas and wheelspin to make it up over the top. Glad they reinforced it. It ought to be possible for folks to "blue trail" their way up to Hector Heights without leaving brown stains on their seats.

I do like driving Fremontia, and have driven it both directions. EDIT - in my Tacoma. I don't (yet) have a 4xe.
Seriously! I like fremontia also up and down, but I guess I usually do the whole trail, and I don’t think I have ever taken the Mc Cray to fremontia before. My first rig was a Tacoma! And when I say reinforced I still wouldn’t get anywhere near that ledge haha.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know exactly where that is. That area just has so many hidden drops and deceiving lines. Glad your ok, hope you get another one soon!

I live a little south in San Luis Obispo County. Are you close by. Maybe we could meet up when you get your replacement!
Nice, I went desert running down there and shooting in Pozo a few years back. That would be fun! I can always borrow my wife’s rig, I’m amazed she still lets me drive it. 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have State Farm and they seem cool so far. I have no idea what they will value the car at, as well as all of the accessories. I’m scared… Worst case I will rip off as many parts as I can.
When I asked my State Farm agent, they always said they'll replace add ons as long as I've saved my receipts and can document the purchases.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
26 Posts
I have wheeled a lot of heavy land Rover Discoveries and weight is an issue with them. It isn't always a bad issue. But on off camber runs they do tend to slip sideways more than the lighter Defenders and Wranglers. I haven't taken the 4xe off road yet to test it. On mine I did the mild Mopar lift as it came with springs and shocks that were different part numbers than the standard lifts. I figured Mopar figured the weight for the different springs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’m glad you’re alive and not injured. Get Jeep to pay you to be their safety story about surviving a roll.
Seriously. “I modded the heck out of my Jeep with aftermarket parts not even designed for it, took it out to the middle of nowhere, flipped myself down a mountain like a bourbon barrel, and walked out of the wreckage” is a glowing review of the Wrangler’s durability.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
44 Posts
I am curious as well what insurance will do with it. Usually when they total it they give you an option to buy it back as well. This could be a good chance to get hands on charge controllers, and other systems to tinker with and try to push the 4xe further.

chance to find out what happens if larger or more batteries are added, chances to tinker with firmware and other settings. Hopefully someone with the time and resources can buy a 4xe like this from an insurance company and do what the jeep community does and find ways to make it bigger and better via tinkering.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey All, So last week I had just built up my 4xe on 37s with a 3.5” Metal Cloak Gamechanger kit, and Fox 2.5 Performance shocks. It drove so good on the road and absolutely destroyed the rock gardens and trails I took it on. Then coming down a mountain I was on a fire road(think loose rocks and moon dust) in Hollister hills CA, when suddenly the ground swept away with me on it. I rolled more than 20 times and 300 feet down a cliff and pancaked my poor Jeep. Amazingly I’m uninjured, but witnesses describing the even said “the road just caved.”

Was the extra 600-700lbs a factor? I know I was on a bad line, so poor driving is probably the highest factor, but still it’s a line I have taken many times in the stock Jeep and been fine. Picturing a lifted 4xe on granite at a roll of 30plus degrees now gives me nightmares. Should it?

I’m trying to buy a replacement wrangler now and I absolutely loved the 4xe, but my goal is off roaring, and I can’t get that top heavy weight out of my mind. I love plugging In, and I have solar panels. And I had half of my 4000 miles in all electric at the time of the crash.
On another note, the roll bars really work 😅
Glad you're OK and the Jeep did well. I've had mine on some pretty steep and loose climbs, but I can't compare it to other new Jeeps as I came from a '98 TJ. It never seemed tippy or sluggish.

I do have tons of questions, though, after spending the summer out west in Moab, CO, MT, etc.... and being amazed at the abilities of my Rubicon vs the open-diffed Sahara TJ that I wheeled extensively.

With the mods, I can't tell if your 4xe was a Rubicon. Was the rear diff locked when it broke loose? Were you using hill descent? Was the sway bar disconnected? Was it running in electric or was the ICE running? Seems odd that the rear went first if you were on the brakes, but hill descent might try to push past hard front braking or if you were 2-footing it on the brake and gas pedal at the same time. Pointed downhill, most of the weight should have been on the front tires.

We're heading to AZ and CA this winter and might end up in Hollister weather permitting. I would hate to recreate what you went through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
might end up in Hollister weather permitting. I would hate to recreate what you went through.
Hollister is not an excessively dangerous location. From a "driving" perspective, it really sounds like the OPs main "lesson learned" is don't be lulled into a false sense of security when driving a relatively easy shelf road that adjoins a steep cliff. Continue to pay attention, and give your full attention to the task at hand, and if things don't look or feel right, stop.

I wasn't there. All I have to go on is what OP has written in this thread. But that's my main takeaway, (in addition to simply looking at how his rig was sitting on its axis after the lift install, which would lead me not to install that particular lift until after 4xe specific springs are available.)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hollister is not an excessively dangerous location. From a "driving" perspective, it really sounds like the OPs main "lesson learned" is don't be lulled into a false sense of security when driving a relatively easy shelf road that adjoins a steep cliff. Continue to pay attention, and give your full attention to the task at hand, and if things don't look or feel right, stop.

I wasn't there. All I have to go on is what OP has written in this thread. But that's my main takeaway, (in addition to simply looking at how his rig was sitting on its axis after the lift install, which would lead me not to install that particular lift until after 4xe specific springs are available.)
I was kind of hoping to get some insight into what the vehicle was doing when it went arse-first off a cliff. Coming from a '98 TJ into a '21 JLUR, I have concerns about what the vehicle will actually do for you without you realizing it. For instance, coming down a long gravel grade in the 4xe with max regen set, it kicked itself out of regen downhill on a curve when it detected a little wheel slip. 😳 Not a good feeling when your "engine" braking is suddenly taken away.

I've had similar experiences using hill descent in electric-only mode where it tried to run-away on a steep grade. That's my one gripe with the machine: you can't auto-stick hill descent in electric mode, only when running the engine.

Curious if the OP had a similar issue when they rolled it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I actually just got back from Hollister this weekend! I have a 2” Synergy MFG lift on Nitto 38” Tires. Do you know what trail you were on?

I found that the 4xe actually has a better center of gravity and has traction more often than the lighter rigs.

there were definitely a few close calls that I made, but it’s all throttle control. Lots of places it gets over 30 degrees of incline or side pitch around hollister. Too much throttle could easily throw you over.
Glad your ok View attachment 2209 View attachment 2210
Dude you chopped the plastic bumper! That's wicked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This was not by fault of weight as mentioned above. Also as mentioned ebikes have extra added weight. This in fact happens also depending on the season and can be seen alot in mud. As was mentioned the lines were pushed and it sounds like poor decisions were made a spotter could of possibly helped and when ever in doubt stop and get out and look. Super glad you were not injured!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was kind of hoping to get some insight into what the vehicle was doing when it went arse-first off a cliff. Coming from a '98 TJ into a '21 JLUR, I have concerns about what the vehicle will actually do for you without you realizing it. For instance, coming down a long gravel grade in the 4xe with max regen set, it kicked itself out of regen downhill on a curve when it detected a little wheel slip. 😳 Not a good feeling when your "engine" braking is suddenly taken away.

I've had similar experiences using hill descent in electric-only mode where it tried to run-away on a steep grade. That's my one gripe with the machine: you can't auto-stick hill descent in electric mode, only when running the engine.

Curious if the OP had a similar issue when they rolled it.
I never use max regen when off roading, under any circumstances. This is just lazy. You can get the same effect by just applying the brakes. The discs kick in at about 48 kw regen power, and if you don't feel it( I do) , you will see while you slow down faster, the regen KW slide towards 0. I can modulate it from the brake pedal, to my heart's content , not have a fixed ratio, and the action/feedback is familiar with other vehicles. Unless you are driving really really slow, the regen force is enough to maintain the proper speed without using the disk brakes at all, so no danger of overheating them. I descended so long slopes using this that I got got back at the trail head with 72 % battery coming from 0 at the top of the mountain using this technique. This is one of the things I love about 4xe.
With a classic 4x4, you downshift and use engine braking, either on Hi or Low, what ever the situation requires. Works fine, but it is not really something you can fine tune easily.
The ability to brake for like 40 min continuously with 0 effect on the disc brakes, this is the biggest plus and the unique thing about 4xe off road. The rest of it it is just like any other jeep.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You're way over thinking this. You were on a trail, the road gave way underneath you and you rolled down the hill. The road was gonna cave with somebody just bad luck it happened with you. Its pretty simple, it was the condition of the ground underneath you, not anything you did to your jeep that caused the ground to cave.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts