Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve owned 1st and 2nd gen volts and currently am leasing a bolt ev and for the most part they don’t shift in electric. Pretty much single gear with a few exceptions in the Volts. So I was surprised when I test drove my 4xe and I felt the 1-2 then 2-3 shift in electric only mode. Surprised because in all of the umpteen reviews I watched no one mentioned this weird non ev like detail
Now don’t get me wrong I’m absolutely not upset about it, you get great torque multiplication with the electric motor going through the gears, with nice oomph off the line in first and better efficiency in 1:1 6th gear at higher speeds so I’m happy with the design. Plus it sounds sort of cool too hearing the electric motor shift.
Anyone else’s a little surprised?
(FYI you can turn always on which gear the trans is in in the settings of the dash display)

·
Registered
264 Posts
One thing I find interesting is that it won't pass 6th gear in electric. I assume that gets in that place where the electric motor would lose efficiency.

But other than that, since the Wrangler 4XE is more apt to run the gas engine than the Volt, the transmission keeps things spinning at a place where the gas engine can quickly become a part of the action should demand call for it to enter the equation.

Plus, that Volt transmission is a bit of a wonder box. It's a really cool design. It wouldn't be beefy enough for off-roading and dealing with a 5,000+ pound vehicle. But it was/is a wonderful design for the Volt. The Volt was/is a fantastic design. Even though I never had one, I'm still disappointed that GM killed it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
When you give it a little burst in hybrid mode with the ICE it will stay in higher gear with the electric engine. Thats what i tryed out with about 70 mph. Weather was good :)

or manual Shift..have not tryed out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I’ve owned 1st and 2nd gen volts and currently am leasing a bolt ev and for the most part they don’t shift in electric. Pretty much single gear with a few exceptions in the Volts. So I was surprised when I test drove my 4xe and I felt the 1-2 then 2-3 shift in electric only mode. Surprised because in all of the umpteen reviews I watched no one mentioned this weird non ev like detail
Now don’t get me wrong I’m absolutely not upset about it, you get great torque multiplication with the electric motor going through the gears, with nice oomph off the line in first and better efficiency in 1:1 6th gear at higher speeds so I’m happy with the design. Plus it sounds sort of cool too hearing the electric motor shift.
Anyone else’s a little surprised?
(FYI you can turn always on which gear the trans is in in the settings of the dash display)
I noticed that too and was so going to post the same question. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
With only 100 motor to work with and 5,000 lb vehicle sixth gear is probably about it unless your downhill with tailwind,had 2014 Cherokee with v-6 and nine speed,seldom saw ninth gear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From those "Ask the Expert" videos, I get the impression that the 8HP launch clutch is used in electric mode too. If I understand things right, that means the motor spins as you launch while the "ILE" clutch slips briefly, just like launching a manual car! That was mentioned real briefly as an answer to a question about trans overheating though, so don't quote me on that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts