Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR: Two raw surfaces with no adequate protection between them cause galvanic corrosion and make our JL hinges bubble :(

Galvanic corrosion took over my 2018JL After 3 years of ownership AND 3 years of the best antirust service I could get
(hinges, front to back, hood, tailgate you name it)
I knew I couldn’t let that happen to my rubicon4xe. Or at least try and hold back what seems like an unstoppable force lol...

so today I started from the back, you will notice the raw door meets a raw hinge.I thank god there is a bushing in the door to prevent what I asume is a steel bolt from touching it. Not the case with the hinge. Altho you might find a very thin and sporadically applied film to the door it is imo not nearly enough to withstand the test of time. (Suprise,practically no film on bottom hinge lol)

I applied fluid film brand rust inhibitor to all and will most likely continue to reapply after every winter.

#wishilivedinarizona

·
Registered
480 Posts
To make it worse, the paint process doesn’t always fully seal the gap between the hinge and door. I have been spraying a corrosion blocker along the edge and It is able to seep between the two. If it wasn’t for the painted bolts, I would do what you are doing. For now, I just have to hope my solution slows it down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can’t imagine living in rusty areas,haven’t seen that in southern Colorado,we have cars from 1940s with no rust.starting to see cars from Denver area with some rust from people moving here that can’t drive in snow requir salt use and magchloride.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great idea, but I’m not busting through paint on those bolts if I don’t have to.
The paint on the bolts did not break off, sure it marred the paint a tiny bit but nothing you can see standing next to it.
If it really bugs someone its nothing some touch up wont fix afterwards :) Also, better some scuffed bolts than living with corrosion 😂👍
#stillWishiLivedinArizona

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
The paint on the bolts did not break off, sure it marred the paint a tiny bit but nothing you can see standing next to it.
If it really bugs someone its nothing some touch up wont fix afterwards :) Also, better some scuffed bolts than living with corrosion 😂👍
#stillWishiLivedinArizona
Sorry, you don’t understand my ocd issues. Marred and paint cannot co-exist in my brain.
I completely understand your point however and I’m not dismissing it.👍🏻

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t imagine the anxiety you guys must feel when you hear or see a small rock hit the hood 😂🤟

Allow me to share the second week or ownership of my new back then 2018JL, gosh damm was I beyond myself when a truck lifted a piece of asphalt into my car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Jesus! Looks like it was fired from a cannon. I got PPF on my hood and windshield frame but I don't think it would have stopped that bullet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts