Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I am totally in love with this vehicle, so glad I made the purchase. Picked up 6/19 and just completed my first 300 miles, 37.6 gas and 262.4 electric. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Level 2 charger is a must to maximize electric range as you can top off every time you are home. I personally find myself not wanting to use any gas even though I know that is not realistic or the intent of this vehicle.
  2. Max Regen requires some skill to truly maximize regen. Using it wrong can actually work against you. Key is to use it at the right time (i.e. not on the highway) and to not let it slow you down too aggressively by keeping your foot lightly on the accelerator (unless you need to come to a full stop) as it will cost you more power to get back up to speed than you earned by slowing down too much.
  3. Accleration is awesome compared to my ’12 JK even in 100% electric mode.
  4. Ride quality and interior comfort are also much improved over the JK.
  5. Uconnect app is pretty great but updating it is painfully slooooooooooooooooooooow.
  6. Backup camera lines disappearing is a small but annoying bug.
  7. Stock Rubi wheels are sharp but Jeep needs a blackout option.
  8. Alpine sound system sounds pretty good but needs more power. I had the Alpine system installed in my JK aftermarket and the subwoofer would vibrate the seats, this system doesn't.
  9. 300 miles and gas tank still on FULL. I would be refillling my JK about now albeit I did have 35's on the JK and only 33's on the 4xe.
  10. Soft top operation is much easier and the auto folding is very convenient. Nice touch.
  11. Speaking of the soft top, the frame is so much quieter than the JK. Doesn’t rattle at all.
  12. The paint around the hinges is sub par. You can see the primer through the white paint in a few areas where the hinge meets the door. Tailgate is the worst.
  13. 2 hard rains and it doesn’t leak!
  14. Check your fuses! 30-40% of mine were not seated fully.
  15. Getting 24-26 all electric miles pretty consistently. Curious to see how this changes in winter.
  16. Another 25-50 electric miles would be awesome but baby steps.....
  17. Wish Carplay was wireless.
  18. Would be great to have the option to set Max Regen and electric as the default instead of having to press each time you start the car.
  19. The power windows need the option to automatically go all the way up so you don't have to hold the button. Small, I know.
  20. The space between the fender flare and body panel is too large leaving room for debris and small rocks, luckily there are some good hacks on the JL Wrangler forum.
All for now. I have a 150 miles road trip tomorrow so be curious to see my MPG.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats on your first couple of weeks of ownership. You seem to have hit on all the pluses and minuses of this new Jeep technology. I got mine the Saturday before Mother’s Day and enjoyed my wife’s special day out on the trails. I enjoyed 2400 miles of extreme bliss until I got the dreaded CEL last Monday. I dropped it off at dealer on Tuesday and has been there ever since. Not as long as some people have experienced, but I’m worrying it could be longer because my service advisor called me this morning and told me that technician is ”baffled” and they will need more time with it. Initial diagnosis was new batteries and wiring harness needed to be replaced, but after doing those repairs the light is still on. Waiting for resolution.
I do hope it gets fixed and I am not without it too long, because I do miss it and really loved it for the time I drove it. Wishing you many more miles of trouble free adventures!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on your first couple of weeks of ownership. You seem to have hit on all the pluses and minuses of this new Jeep technology. I got mine the Saturday before Mother’s Day and enjoyed my wife’s special day out on the trails. I enjoyed 2400 miles of extreme bliss until I got the dreaded CEL last Monday. I dropped it off at dealer on Tuesday and has been there ever since. Not as long as some people have experienced, but I’m worrying it could be longer because my service advisor called me this morning and told me that technician is ”baffled” and they will need more time with it. Initial diagnosis was new batteries and wiring harness needed to be replaced, but after doing those repairs the light is still on. Waiting for resolution.
I do hope it gets fixed and I am not without it too long, because I do miss it and really loved it for the time I drove it. Wishing you many more miles of trouble free adventures!
I hope they figure it out for you soon!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
The power windows need the option to automatically go all the way up so you don't have to hold the button. Small, I know.
Not small at all! It really annoys me. Especially the difference between front and back windows. That's lazy/inconsistent design.

It's a driving distraction that doesn't need to be in a modem vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Definitely missing the one-touch up on the front windows. So basic.

I'd also like ventilated seats and a brake hold button for when I'm in a drive thru. Those are the two things I miss the most.

Reactions: Coskier

·
Registered
218 Posts
So far I am totally in love with this vehicle, so glad I made the purchase. Picked up 6/19 and just completed my first 300 miles, 37.6 gas and 262.4 electric. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Level 2 charger is a must to maximize electric range as you can top off every time you are home. I personally find myself not wanting to use any gas even though I know that is not realistic or the intent of this vehicle.
  2. Max Regen requires some skill to truly maximize regen. Using it wrong can actually work against you. Key is to use it at the right time (i.e. not on the highway) and to not let it slow you down too aggressively by keeping your foot lightly on the accelerator (unless you need to come to a full stop) as it will cost you more power to get back up to speed than you earned by slowing down too much.
  5. Uconnect app is pretty great but updating it is painfully slooooooooooooooooooooow.
  8. Alpine sound system sounds pretty good but needs more power. I had the Alpine system installed in my JK aftermarket and the subwoofer would vibrate the seats, this system doesn't.
  9. 300 miles and gas tank still on FULL. I would be refillling my JK about now albeit I did have 35's on the JK and only 33's on the 4xe.
  10. Soft top operation is much easier and the auto folding is very convenient. Nice touch.
  11. Speaking of the soft top, the frame is so much quieter than the JK. Doesn’t rattle at all.
  12. The paint around the hinges is sub par. You can see the primer through the white paint in a few areas where the hinge meets the door. Tailgate is the worst.
  15. Getting 24-26 all electric miles pretty consistently. Curious to see how this changes in winter.
  18. Would be great to have the option to set Max Regen and electric as the default instead of having to press each time you start the car.
  19. The power windows need the option to automatically go all the way up so you don't have to hold the button. Small, I know.
  20. The space between the fender flare and body panel is too large leaving room for debris and small rocks, luckily there are some good hacks on the JL Wrangler forum.
This is a amazing read!
i just placed my order for a build yesterday, how long did it take you to get yours?
im being told its going to take me 8 to 10 weeks! for it to hit the lot :(

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not bad. 21mpg. I made the same trip in my Jk and got 14mpg but my JK had 35s and my 4xe has 33s. Could have been better but the ChargePoint station I tried when I got to my destination didn’t work.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@michail yeah, this was the only one that didn’t work. Oddly it asked me if I wanted to charge without an account, even though I have an account, but it wouldn’t actually charge when I plugged in.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

21. OMG the soft top removal and install is so much easier than the JK. Not having zippers is fantastic!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Sjbiss. I think you said somewhere you were from Buffalo NY. If so, just wondering what your thoughts are on the soft top in winter. I think you had other jeeps w/ soft top. I part outside in Phila area all year round so have convinced myself that hard top is a must. But would like to confirm that. Do you park in a garage in winter. Is insulation/heat an issue in winter with just the canvas? Thanks.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi Sjbiss. I think you said somewhere you were from Buffalo NY. If so, just wondering what your thoughts are on the soft top in winter. I think you had other jeeps w/ soft top. I part outside in Phila area all year round so have convinced myself that hard top is a must. But would like to confirm that. Do you park in a garage in winter. Is insulation/heat an issue in winter with just the canvas? Thanks.
Hey @demingr, I live in Boston and had only soft top (2006 Wrangler X and 2019 JL unlimited sport s). Never had an issue with soft top only (and my wrangler x only had half doors). Only reason I got the hard top was so I could put our Thule carrier on the roof without having to buy a cage. 2 kids, plus dog and 4 bikes, I needed the roof top carrier or be stuck on family trips with my wife’s RAV4, who would want that!

Edit: also always parked outside as I don’t have a garage.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do live in Buffalo and use the soft top all year long. Did this for 10 years with my JK. I do garage the vehicle when home but heat has never been an issue even when it is -15. While I haven’t used the 4xe in winter, the JK had amazing an amazing heater.

I choose the soft top because I love to fold the top back whenever possible and find the dual top group too cumbersome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts