Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Interior protective film

12K views 106 replies 20 participants last post by  Screen ProTech 
#1 · (Edited)
A while back, someone posted about installing interior protective film over the piano black surfaces and I wasn't able to find which thread that comment was in. Does anyone have a link to something like this? Googling hasn't turned anything up, and my PPF/ceramic guy said they can't do XPEL around electronics due to the liquid they need to use to apply it.

###

Update: Install Tips for ScreenProTech

A few tips:
-They don't have a 4xe set, so I emailed with them to create a custom set (this matters because the center console configuration is slightly different than any of the ICE trim film sets, at least for the 4xe TH). Pay special attention to the "1 switch" or "2 switch" option, which refers to whether or not you have the switches to the left/ right of the drive shifting nob (air suspension hight, drive mode)

-I'd recommend installing outside during daylight hours with a headlamp on for extra intense directional light. I found that it helped ensure I was able to spot issues like dust after I had cleaned the screen, imperfections with my application so I could reset it, etc.
Id highly recommend using painters tape or something to lift dust off the screen after you clean it for application (the kit doesn't come with sticky tape)

-I also got a backup set of film, which I ended up using a couple pieces of since I botched a couple install attempts.

-Have several extra microfiber cloths on hand, they include one small one. Not required, but makes it easier... but be careful because depending on the cloth, it might introduce dust/small filaments (their cloth is weaved in a way that prevents this)

-Biggest thing is to install when you have plenty of time so you can go very slowly and meticulously. If you do it right the first time, you only have to do it once.

-I was initially a little skeptical when applying the main screen film because I kept getting corners with extra film popping up in spots, but you just need to be really precise with placement and it'll go on fully flush. I found that alternating between pushing on the edges that kept popping up over the course of several minutes ended up taming them down to be flush.

-Latex (or similar) gloves helped immensely with handling the film without worring about fingerprints on the sticky side.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A while back, someone posted about installing interior protective film over the piano black surfaces and I wasn't able to find which thread that comment was in. Does anyone have a link to something like this? Googling hasn't turned anything up, and my PPF/ceramic guy said they can't do XPEL around electronics due to the liquid they need to use to apply it.
Paging @mkenny28 to the courtesy phone...

He posted about it somewhere.

Edit... Found it and also found a discount code for 15% off... "MUMFY15"

#3 ·
This kit literally says it comes with "water based solution". Is that detrimental to the electronics (buttons and stuff not the screen) it will be surrounding.

#10 ·
Gear shift Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Where the 3 is in this diagram I have cupholders. So I am not sure if this kit will jive with my setup. I think I am going to send this picture to their email and ask if I will get full coverage or not.

Reactions: Screen ProTech
#21 ·
Anyone get this done yet? I'm having trouble finding shops (in the Denver area) that will do protective film on the interior because of the risk of the application liquid getting into the electronics (even with sending them that XPEL interior web page). Considering getting the film @brnscofrnld linked at the top, but I'm curious if anyone's used it yet and if so, how you like it.

#24 ·
I've been emailing with Screen ProTech about the protective film linked above, and they said none of those packages are specifically designed for the 4xe Trailhawk (because each one of the options has 1-2 different parts), but they just received the design specs on the 4xe Trailhawk, so they're putting in a custom order for me for the exact right protective film pieces.

The difference thing is that the trailhawk trim doesn't have the retractable cover for the cupholders.

#41 ·
Did you ever get your custom kit order completed? We are wanting to basically get the same thing but kind of waiting for you to do it and show us what its like. ;)

Reactions: Screen ProTech
#26 ·
Just dropped my Jeep off for PPF, ceramic, and tint. Talked to the owner/installer about the piano black trim. My preference was stealth, but there may not be pattern for all of the black trim and I don't want some to be matte and some gloss - seems like that would look weird. He said they don't really do custom cuts for interior stuff. I'll see how it comes out tomorrow when I pick it up.

#33 ·
Anyone else experiencing issues with the XPEL website? I click the "Browse interior patterns here" link on their site and I just get a spinning wheel of death and nothing loads. Although I'm guessing since I have a Trailhawk it would be best to call them and have them put together a custom order due to the cupholders being different than higher trims.

#34 ·
Picked up my Jeep. Slightly disappointed. Couldn't tint (70% XPEL Prime +) the windshield because he said he heard that the leather on the dash for the SR is so touchy that bad things happen if even a few drops of water get on it. I'm glad he didn't try it. I would have been sad if that beautiful dash was marred, but it's a bummer losing the ceramic thermal tint there.

He was only able to put XPEL on the center console and screen. There weren't patterns for anything else. He tried using the patters from the L but none of them fit. He said more patterns might come out in 6-9 months. I'm not sure what I think about the PPF on the center console. You can see where the pieces are if you really look. That doesn't bother me. but I expected not to be able to see anything else and that is not the case. I'll let it sit overnight and then clean it and take some pics. I may have to have them redo that part. They also did ceramic on the whole Jeep, PPF on the front and tint on all the side windows and pano.

#35 ·
Picked up my Jeep. Slightly disappointed. Couldn't tint (70% XPEL Prime +) the windshield because he said he heard that the leather on the dash for the SR is so touchy that bad things happen if even a few drops of water get on it. I'm glad he didn't try it. I would have been sad if that beautiful dash was marred, but it's a bummer losing the ceramic thermal tint there.

He was only able to put XPEL on the center console and screen. There weren't patterns for anything else. He tried using the patters from the L but none of them fit. He said more patterns might come out in 6-9 months. I'm not sure what I think about the PPF on the center console. You can see where the pieces are if you really look. That doesn't bother me. but I expected not to be able to see anything else and that is not the case. I'll let it sit overnight and then clean it and take some pics. I may have to have them redo that part. They also did ceramic on the whole Jeep, PPF on the front and tint on all the side windows and pano.
Some photos would be great.

#43 · (Edited)
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Personal luxury car

Pictures don't do it justice...Screen looks and feels great with the Screen ProTech film... it actually seems to deepen the colors and clarity of the screen a bit, and fingerprints don't really show up on it, which is a HUGE improvement vs without it. If you zoom in on the passenger screen you can see some small bubbles that should come out in 7-14 days as it cures. Did the same for the piano black and looks similarly good.

A few tips:
  • They don't have a 4xe set, so I emailed with them to create a custom set (this matters because the center console configuration is slightly different than any of the ICE trim film sets, at least for the 4xe TH). Pay special attention to the "1 switch" or "2 switch" option, which refers to whether or not you have the switches to the left/ right of the drive shifting nob (air suspension hight, drive mode)
  • I'd recommend installing outside during daylight hours with a headlamp on for extra intense directional light. I found that it helped ensure I was able to spot issues like dust after I had cleaned the screen, imperfections with my application so I could reset it, etc.
  • Id highly recommend using painters tape or something to lift dust off the screen after you clean it for application (the kit doesn't come with sticky tape)
  • I also got a backup set of film, which I ended up using a couple pieces of since I botched a couple install attempts.
  • Have several extra microfiber cloths on hand, they include one small one. Not required, but makes it easier... but be careful because depending on the cloth, it might introduce dust/small filaments (their cloth is weaved in a way that prevents this)
  • Biggest thing is to install when you have plenty of time so you can go very slowly and meticulously. If you do it right the first time, you only have to do it once.
  • I was initially a little skeptical when applying the main screen film because I kept getting corners with extra film popping up in spots, but you just need to be really precise with placement and it'll go on fully flush. I found that alternating between pushing on the edges that kept popping up over the course of several minutes ended up taming them down to be flush.
  • Latex (or similar) gloves helped immensely with handling the film without worring about fingerprints on the sticky side.

#44 ·
View attachment 8032

Pictures don't do it justice...Screen looks and feels great with the Screen ProTech film... it actually seems to deepen the colors and clarity of the screen a bit, and fingerprints don't really show up on it, which is a HUGE improvement vs without it. If you zoom in on the passenger screen you can see some small bubbles that should come out in 7-14 days as it cures. Did the same for the piano black and looks similarly good.

A few tips:
  • They don't have a 4xe set, so I emailed with them to create a custom set (this matters because the center console configuration is slightly different than any of the ICE trim film sets, at least for the 4xe TH)
  • I'd recommend installing outside during daylight hours with a headlamp on. I found that it helped ensure I was able to spot issues like dust after I had cleaned the screen, imperfections with my application so I could reset it, etc.
  • Id highly recommend using painters tape or something to lift dust off the screen after you clean it for application (the kit doesn't come with sticky tape)
  • I also got a backup set of film, which I ended up using a couple pieces of side I botched a cutie installs.
  • Have several extra microfiber cloths on hand, they include one small one. Not required, but makes it easier.
  • biggest thing is to install when you have plenty of time so you can go very slowly and meticulously. If you do it right the first tone, you only have to do it once.
Sounds like I need to make sure the kids are occupied somewhere else before they see me tinkering around in the new Jeep... They like to follow me out and jump around in the car when I am cleaning stuff.

#61 ·
That they're registered on this forum now as a vendor, interacting in the thread, and have gotten numerous orders for the Trailhawk customized kit, surprises me that we still have to jump through email hoops to order the right kit and they're not responsive to you. If they would update their site they would sell more, it's that simple.

And yes, forum codes, group buys, Black Friday sales, etc go a long way, too. The Charger Forums had a large and involved vendor base that did group buys and it was amazing how many people would pool for those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.