Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting a 4xe sahara since there is one available at a nearby dealer with everything I would want but a few thousand less than if I configure a sahara on my own due to the $7500 tax rebate. In addition, if I custom order the dealer said it could take up to 4 months to make. That being said, for various reasons, I may never plug in the 4xe. Does this make any sense? Are there still benefits to the 4xe if never charged - or am I just signing up for potential issues down the road with a more complex vehicle? For example, I read that it always keep 15% charge in Hybrid mode and this is used to improve acceleration. Not sure if this is correct. Anyone know? Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, complete waste.

FYI I'm in a rented apartment and thanks to CA law forced the prop. owner to let me install a charger and the city rebated the full cost back to me! Def get yourself a charging set up if you get the 4xe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First, without plugging in, you'll just be driving a Sahara with a 2.0 turbo and 600 extra pounds. Not great. And since the 4xe comes with a 110 charger that can be programmed to charge with your phone, why wouldn't you plug it in? Where I am in S F Bay Area, it is $3.00 to charge for the equivalent range of a $4.80 gallon of gas, so again, why not charge???

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, complete waste.

FYI I'm in a rented apartment and thanks to CA law forced the prop. owner to let me install a charger and the city rebated the full cost back to me! Def get yourself a charging set up if you get the 4xe.
Forced the property owner? I'm putting them in all my rental properties here in California at my cost.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to agree generally. There is a significant benefit on your daily commute being 25 miles or so.
Just this weekend I got 24 mpg on an uncharge loaded up Jeep with passengers and gear, due to regen on braking and descents. Was really impressed with that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Agreed, but the cost of gas and efficiency to do this is not economical. you'll spend at least 4x on gas vs. the electricity to charge, once again making the 4xe a silly upcharge if you never intend to plug-in.
Yep, that's correct. I believe the battery is 17kwh. At home I get $0.11/kwh, so a full charge for $1.87. IDK how much gas it would take for a full charge, however just a wild guess I'll say 2 gallons. Someone smarter than me can calculate the engine output in kw, but I think it makes sense it's not a better option to use the engine in that way for efficiency's sake.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep, that's correct. I believe the battery is 17kwh. At home I get $0.11/kwh, so a full charge for $1.87. IDK how much gas it would take for a full charge, however just a wild guess I'll say 2 gallons. Someone smarter than me can calculate the engine output in kw, but I think it makes sense it's not a better option to use the engine in that way for efficiency's sake.
One gallon of gas is roughly equal to 33.7 KWH so.....at the approximately 2.25 charges ( about 15 KWH per charge) to equal 33.7 KWH at 26 miles average per charge....that gets me roughly 58 ish miles for the equivalent of one gallon of gas. Hope that makes sense....costs me between $1.25 and $1.80 per charge depending on time of year rate schedule.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Agreed, but the cost of gas and efficiency to do this is not economical. you'll spend at least 4x on gas vs. the electricity to charge, once again making the 4xe a silly upcharge if you never intend to plug-in.
It's not that big of a cost actually.

The point being that if Nola wants to charge, they can. And on top of that, some buyers understand that the EV range of 25 miles, especially in cold weather, is a joke number, and plan to get more joy from the torque the Ex4 is capable of, not the minor savings in gas. If I wanted to save money on gas, I wouldn't buy a $70,000 brick with nearly no range.

I know that's not everyone's story for why they picked the Ex4. But while the EV capability of the Ex4 is a cute feature, people shouldn't be buying this car thinking it's either green or cheap. If you drive a decent number of miles, the turbo wrangler will have less up front cost, get better MPG, and given the reports in these forums, require less maintenance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One gallon of gas is roughly equal to 33.7 KWH so.....at the approximately 2.25 charges ( about 15 KWH per charge) to equal 33.7 KWH at 26 miles average per charge..
While it is true gasoline contains 33.7KWh equivalent of thermal capacity, please do factor in that the engine and generator is probably only 20-30% efficient and converting the fuel to mechanical energy to electrical energy then to chemical energy stored in the battery which then all has to be reversed to get forward motion again. Thats a long chain of energy conversions!

Given that you'd need at least 2 and probably closer to 3 gallons of gas to make a full charge happen + wear and tear on the engine.

2-3 Gallons is 40-60 miles of range @ 20mpg!

Please for the love of Pete plug your 4xe in and enjoy some cheap range and/or a cheap power adder for your Jeep!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts