Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25mi round trip commute and I've been charging every night thinking that I'm saving money (and because running on electric is fun). I live in an apartment complex that has 8 charging spots, but the cost for charging is 20c/kwh. If I estimate that around $3.40 per charge, and the distance as about the same as a gallon of gas will get me (I'm at about 22-23mpg), then I'm losing about 50 cents every time I charge instead of just running it on gas.

Is there a point to me charging and using the plug-in at all at this point other than for fun? I mean I'll probably keep doing it anyway, but this was a sad realization.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly Id download chargpoint,Plugshare, FLO and check them if have anything around your work. some of them are free or will cost less then 3.40$ per charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My last car was getting about 16mpg, so its still a small win I guess. My work as green spaces but no chargers. Checked the one a few blocks away and they charge 17c/kwh but tack on a $4 hourly fee. How do they get by charging more than gas? At least I know I can mostly avoid gas if it shoots up crazy high this summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if it's possible to calculate whether it's cheaper for me to charge it using E-Save with gas than plugging it in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
@rgeep I'm not sure if this helps or not but I just went to see my mom yesterday with no charge and I drove it in e-Save with Charge mode on and Max Regen turned on. I burnt through aabout half a tank of gas with a combination of rural and highway driving. When I got home, I had an 80% charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@rgeep I'm not sure if this helps or not but I just went to see my mom yesterday with no charge and I drove it in e-Save with Charge mode on and Max Regen turned on. I burnt through aabout half a tank of gas with a combination of rural and highway driving. When I got home, I had an 80% charge.
And mom is??? 30 miles away? 120?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That sucks, we pay 7.5 cents at home plus can charge for free at my job if i use it. 20 miles is enough for wife to go to work and back on electic

·
Registered
3 Posts
While FCA rates the battery pack at 17.3kWh, not all of that is usable for electric driving. The system reserves 10-15 percent. My home charger keeps tabs on how much electricity I can put into my battery during a full charge. So far the largest fill was 15.4kWh.

(15.4 x .20cents = $3.08) So you are doing a little better than you thought.

My utility was charging 30cents at the lowest tier. I gave them my VIN and was able to get an EV rate of 18cents per kWh. This is coastal California... Gas and electricity is higher than most areas.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yikes, many of the ChargePoints around here are $0.10 kWh or free. My Whole Foods has free ones but they are usually taken up by non EVs.

I do love driving on electric so much I'd consider paying a little more than gas if I had to. I think energy cost alone is one of the mistakes many people make when judging BEVs and PHEVs. It's like buying a sports car and worrying about 87 vs. 93 octane.

But using e-save with recharge is likely not a good idea outside of special purpose needs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
E-save charging is not advisable. Just use hybrid mode if you don’t want to charge it. I have a similar commute, but I get to charge level 1 for free which is nice. But the bad thing is - I’m actually paying ~$3 a night for the garage space I now have. I also have a free level 2 charger at the grocery across the street but it’s like a 10 minute walk. At first, that level 2 was all I had but after a few weeks and a winter storm I decided to get a garage space for the convenience. I also found a nice perk in that I’d have a place to put my top when I decide to take it off for the day.

I debate charging when I go into town because you are right - over $3 to fill up an equivalent of one gallon of gas is kind of a crapshoot, but I think I’d rather do that because it’s one of the tenants of why I bought the vehicle - to promote cleaner energy. Hopefully - these will decrease in price with time but I totally see where you are coming from!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 4xe is fast, has lots of torque and power and is fun to drive. It is a vehicle that satisfies different emotional needs. If your primary purchasing decision is economical transportation, the cheapest transportation is a small gas engine barebones Honda, Kia or Toyota with automatic and air - not a $45k 4xe. It would take you six to seven years in gas savings to makeup the price difference for even the cheapest PHEV or EV.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
The 4xe is fast, has lots of torque and power and is fun to drive. It is a vehicle that satisfies different emotional needs. If your primary purchasing decision is economical transportation, the cheapest transportation is a small gas engine barebones Honda, Kia or Toyota with automatic and air - not a $45k 4xe. It would take you six to seven years in gas savings to makeup the price difference for even the cheapest PHEV or EV.
^THIS^
Absolutely! I bought mine because of the added horsepower and torque. Neither of which I’ll ever fully use but it’s cool.😁 I really couldn’t care less about gas mileage, buts that’s probably because my previous truck got 12/mpg. I know some people really care about mpg’s but I never have. Good on everybody that does, nothing wrong about that.👌🏻

·
Registered
27 Posts
E-save charging is not advisable.
@BHawk New to all of this, I do not mean any disrespect I am just trying to learn what makes the most sense for my situation. Why is e-save charging not advisable? My apologies, I am just not educated about all of this. I do put a priority on using battery more than fuel given most of my commuting is under 21 miles. I do not have access to a level 2 unless i drop off and pick up later. (trying to add a level 2 at home if/when amazon decides to ship what they have listed as “in stock”)

·
Registered
610 Posts
With e-save in recharge mode you will burn more gas than you will get back for electric use. It's just basic physics/thermodynamics.

Where it makes sense to use is if you are driving to a trail and want to do the trail in full electric power. The other situation is if you wanted extra electrical power to use an inverter at a camp site or other remote location.

Hybrid will always be the best mode to use if you don't charge.

This may be one of the best posts on 4xe charging, Warning: Energy Geek Stuff - Why the 15% below <1%...

If you follow what he says it explains much why everything works the way it does.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With e-save in recharge mode you will burn more gas than you will get back for electric use. It's just basic physics/thermodynamics.

Where it makes sense to use is if you are driving to a trail and want to do the trail in full electric power. The other situation is if you wanted extra electrical power to use an inverter at a camp site or other remote location.

Hybrid will always be the best mode to use if you don't charge.

This may be one of the best posts on 4xe charging, Warning: Energy Geek Stuff - Why the 15% below <1%...

If you follow what he says it explains much why everything works the way it does.
Thanks. You know “basic to those that are familiar with it”. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks. You know “basic to those that are familiar with it”. :)
LOL, I do have a degree in engineering. Both manuals are also good to read. But they leave out much of the engineering and science behind it all. The Wrangler is a bit different than most vehicles, then put PHEV in the mix!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is there a point to me charging and using the plug-in at all at this point other than for fun? I mean I'll probably keep doing it anyway, but this was a sad realization.
I haven’t been able to charge more than 15.2kW in my 4xe, even with it at <1% for some time. So I’m going to use that number.
‘You pay 20 cents per kWhr, so $0.20 * 15.2 = $3.04 per charge.
I’m getting about 22 miles of range per charge, So $3.04 / 22 = $0.138 so about 13.8 cents per mile.
Assuming you get 22MPG on gas alone, your break even gas price is: $0.138 * 22 = $3.04 per gallon.

So if you can buy gas for less than $3.04 per gallon, run on gas.
If your gas is more than $3.04 per gallon, run on electric.

You can plug in your own numbers above and see how it works for you.
I pay 12.3 cents per kW, and I am getting 20 MPG in my Rubicon, so my break even gas price is $1.70 per gallon.

So, for me, it’s pretty easy to see I will charge every chance I get. I don’t think we will ever see $1.70 per gallon gas prices again. Per liter, probably.

yes, 20 cents per kWh is very expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to the 4xe but not electric. We have a Tesla and had a x1. Another reason to charge is your time is valuable. Charging every night will save you trips to the gas station. With my days I was always ready to just go home, and remembering and also taking time for the gas station is often a extra chore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
With no alternator on board, do you need to charge to keep the 12 volt battery charged? In Hybrid mode, is the electric battery depleted in 25 miles or so? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts