Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else had issues with the charging port not working? I took it into the dealer only 2300 miles and they said the charging pin is damaged. Then they tell me it's not under warranty which I find ridiculous with it being brand new with only 2300 milea. @jeep

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi there,

We came across your concerns and I'm sorry to hear that your charging port isn't working. If you don't mind, please send us a private message with more details about which ports are not working, along with your VIN, so we can look into this!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone else had issues with the charging port not working? I took it into the dealer only 2300 miles and they said the charging pin is damaged. Then they tell me it's not under warranty which I find ridiculous with it being brand new with only 2300 milea. @jeep

Thanks
What were the symptoms of the failed plug? Were you getting any warnings or messages from the vehicle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had this happen to me at 1,500 miles. The charge port needs replaced, problem is like everything else, it is on back order with no delivery estimate available. Dealer told me they would warranty it as a one time but if it happened again it would be on me because of my negligence.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I just had this happen to me at 1,500 miles. The charge port needs replaced, problem is like everything else, it is on back order with no delivery estimate available. Dealer told me they would warranty it as a one time but if it happened again it would be on me because of my negligence.
What evse are you using?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
just came away with a bent pin.
Ah, an actual bent pin. Seems to be something that occasionally pops up on different ev forums. Did you have an issue with one of the public chargers not behaving.

Have you tried manually straightening it? You probably can't make it any worse than already having to be replaced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah, an actual bent pin. Seems to be something that occasionally pops up on different ev forums. Did you have an issue with one of the public chargers not behaving.

Have you tried manually straightening it? You probably can't make it any worse than already having to be replaced.
When I looked at the public charger, nothing looked out of place, so I’m not sure what caused the pin to get bent.

I have tried to straighten it some however it is such a small place that I cannot get a pair of needle nose pliers in and I need to put pressure on both sides of it to get it straight. @JeepCares

·
Registered
50 Posts
What’s peoples thought on adding a little dielectric grease or spray to these charge ports, plugs and pins to potentially help mitigate these issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
What’s peoples thought on adding a little dielectric grease or spray to these charge ports, plugs and pins to potentially help mitigate these issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On something being plugged in and unplugged a lot, that may attract more dirt/grime/etc than you'd like.

Probably is a good plan to visually inspect public evses for any debris/damage in the plug before connecting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those two definitely seem to be the ones that get bent the most. I suppose that may be simply because they're smaller in diameter. I do wonder if the smaller diameter tube they ride in in the evse plug is more likely to hold a rock or something like that.
I’m not sure. I didn’t inspect the plugs first but after the public one I tried out, that worked previously, wouldn’t engage I looked at the plug and nothing seemed off. Lesson learned though. I enjoy the electric for around town. Just don’t want to wait for who knows how long to receive the replacement.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I didn’t inspect the plugs first but after the public one I tried out, that worked previously, wouldn’t engage I looked at the plug and nothing seemed off.
I don't think most people do inspect them, but it's probably a good habit to get into. It's certainly something I'm going to try to be more mindful of that I never really considered before.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,209 Posts
I put some dielectric grease on my charge port and some on my home charger plug. Wanted a smoother on and off with the plug in. And preventing salt corrosion and or water damage. Not a lot, just enough to coat it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts