Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my Sahara 4xe for about 2 months. I noticed some power issues in the beginning with it going up hills (nothing steep, just normal highway driving) where it would feel like it was missing or slipping gears. But I thought maybe I was mistaken, but I clearly was not.

I decided to take it on its first road trip, and I was going down the interstate, and as we were climbing a hill/mountain on a gradual incline in cruise control in hybrid mode, it started to lose speed. Then, it downshifts, pushing it to 100% on the power meter, then it starts to jerk and sputter; I took it off cruise, but still jerked when trying to accelerate. Then the fuel efficiency starts to be in the single digits. I reduced speed and it didn’t do it as much, but the highway had flattened out. Another hill, repeated the same issue and the check engine light goes on. I took it in to a dealer and they pulled the code, but no technicians were able to assist - they indicated it wasn’t serious as it looked like it was a code for fuel/air intake sensor (stupid me forgot to write down the exact code). They said it wasn’t doing it anymore and the light was off, so to continue to drive it as I’m away from home.

The next day I get about 150 miles down the road or so, up a hill, same issue but no light this time. I had to move it to manual shifting just so I could limp it to another dealership. I tried this in both hybrid and eSave modes; both modes experienced the issue. When stopped, idling was erratic and was shaking the car - almost felt like it was missing. The second dealership couldn’t get to it until the next day, brought it in, couldn’t replicate the issue. I was sent on my way.

I’m now about 600 miles down the road, no issues, but all flat. I’m taking to my home dealer on Monday as soon as I get back, but they said unless they can replicate it, there’s not much they can do. I’m now stuck feeling like I cannot rely on this vehicle, so I thought I’d see if anyone else was having this issue. FYI, I’m about 6,000 miles on the Jeep (due to the road trip). I’ve noticed reduced fuel mileage over time (high 20s avg, now only in the high teens avg.), but when it was actually shaking was the only time it stayed in single digits mpg.

·
Registered
381 Posts
they can perform an oil change, metal friction can create vibrating or shaking. heat, oil pressure + hill driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had my Sahara 4xe for about 2 months. I noticed some power issues in the beginning with it going up hills (nothing steep, just normal highway driving) where it would feel like it was missing or slipping gears. But I thought maybe I was mistaken, but I clearly was not.

I decided to take it on its first road trip, and I was going down the interstate, and as we were climbing a hill/mountain on a gradual incline in cruise control in hybrid mode, it started to lose speed. Then, it downshifts, pushing it to 100% on the power meter, then it starts to jerk and sputter; I took it off cruise, but still jerked when trying to accelerate. Then the fuel efficiency starts to be in the single digits. I reduced speed and it didn’t do it as much, but the highway had flattened out. Another hill, repeated the same issue and the check engine light goes on. I took it in to a dealer and they pulled the code, but no technicians were able to assist - they indicated it wasn’t serious as it looked like it was a code for fuel/air intake sensor (stupid me forgot to write down the exact code). They said it wasn’t doing it anymore and the light was off, so to continue to drive it as I’m away from home.

The next day I get about 150 miles down the road or so, up a hill, same issue but no light this time. I had to move it to manual shifting just so I could limp it to another dealership. I tried this in both hybrid and eSave modes; both modes experienced the issue. When stopped, idling was erratic and was shaking the car - almost felt like it was missing. The second dealership couldn’t get to it until the next day, brought it in, couldn’t replicate the issue. I was sent on my way.

I’m now about 600 miles down the road, no issues, but all flat. I’m taking to my home dealer on Monday as soon as I get back, but they said unless they can replicate it, there’s not much they can do. I’m now stuck feeling like I cannot rely on this vehicle, so I thought I’d see if anyone else was having this issue. FYI, I’m about 6,000 miles on the Jeep (due to the road trip). I’ve noticed reduced fuel mileage over time (high 20s avg, now only in the high teens avg.), but when it was actually shaking was the only time it stayed in single digits mpg.
I had the same issue. Constant Check engine light and kept getting a service hybrid electric system notification. I took it in once and they couldn’t find anything. So they cleared the CEL. It came back on the way home from service. Long story short after trying to figure out if it was a specific driving condition that caused it, I took it back in.
The wire harness and wires running to the turbo completely melted. It is a manufacturing error with the way the wiring is routed. They are ordering the needed wires and going to figure out a new way to route them so they don’t melt. I imagine that this is going to be happening a lot.
hope this helps you and that they can find the issue in your jeep.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Doesn't sound normal to me. No issues. Just finished 11k miles - steep inclines, high elevation, high heat (and even temps in the low 40s)... It isn't the smoothest transition from electric to gas motor, but it always had plenty of power. I passed 18 wheelers without issues, even hit 90+ doing so on the 80 mph interstates.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had the same issue. Constant Check engine light and kept getting a service hybrid electric system notification. I took it in once and they couldn’t find anything. So they cleared the CEL. It came back on the way home from service. Long story short after trying to figure out if it was a specific driving condition that caused it, I took it back in.
The wire harness and wires running to the turbo completely melted. It is a manufacturing error with the way the wiring is routed. They are ordering the needed wires and going to figure out a new way to route them so they don’t melt. I imagine that this is going to be happening a lot.
hope this helps you and that they can find the issue in your jeep.
sorry but no

1 - 7 of 7 Posts