Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on a limb and installed a JB4 tuner on my wife’s 4xe Wrangler. Very easy install. The performance increase in pretty great. Most places are showing 0-60 around 6.0 seconds. With the JB4, I managed 5.17 on wet asphalt and slightly uphill (w/ 1ft rollout, which is what most testing goes by). I feel a high 4 sec 0-60 is attainable. Highly recommend!
Rectangle Azure Font Line Slope

·
Registered
442 Posts
So where is your baseline data, really hard to compare when there isn't really a solid basis for what the vehicle ran before and after,
I tend to stay away from piggyback tuners but I guess if it works for you that's fine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So where is your baseline data, really hard to compare when there isn't really a solid basis for what the vehicle ran before and after,
I tend to stay away from piggyback tuners but I guess if it works for you that's fine
I was using industry tests as baseline. But I understand what you are saying. I will turn to Map 0, which is OFF, and test that as well. Will post later today or tomorrow.

I, too, prefer a full custom tune, but the fact that these devices are undetectable do make them attractive. I have a fullsized Bronco Wildtrak (also with a JB4) and gained over a second 0-60. Which is what led me to buy one for my wife's 4XE.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.15s difference between runs with one at .24% incline and the other at 3%+ looks like a negligible difference to me
Mmhmm, agreed. It feels like it pulls stronger. The transmission shifts slower though. Terry from Burger said that that is what happens with the 2.0 Wranglers, the more boost they get, the tranny shifting slows.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That really doesn't make any sense, granted I wouldn't trust anything Berger has to say about tuning as they were full of shit when they said they tuned the ZF9 (they had no clue) I tune the ZF8 and ZF9 transmissions. What Berger should have said is its torque management making the shifts sloppy and trying to preserve the drivetrain (even though there is room for torque capacity on the ZF8 in the 4xe). It's not unique to 2.0 wranglers it happens on any FCA GPEC controlled vehicle that doesn't have torque management values adjusted

The TCM has certain torque management values if it senses values above this, like when a piggyback tuner is installed it's going to limit shifting performance which is where the driver gets a perceived difference in shifting. Same thing goes for the PCM torque management as well, its why when tuning FCA platforms you can't just tune the PCM without the TCM and vice versa because then each part is fighting against each other and is why there is diminishing returns with piggyback tuners on FCA platforms specifically GPEC PCMs. I'm not saying piggyback tuners don't work but they are of limited use on certain platforms.

As for before and after testing, people always wanted to call bullshit on my results when I told them nothing more than bolt ons and a tune gave me around 50hp extra on a 3.2 Pentastar, but I had 1/4 mile slips stock and modified with 2 different 3.2 Cherokees at various stages of mods to show what certain mods could do.

Example.

A simple customer tune from HP tuners on the PCM was good for 0.6s and 2.2mph in the 1/4 mile. Add in the TCM tune and some bolt ons, well then its 1.22s and 5.2mph difference from stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That really doesn't make any sense, granted I wouldn't trust anything Berger has to say about tuning as they were full of shit when they said they tuned the ZF9 (they had no clue) I tune the ZF8 and ZF9 transmissions. What Berger should have said is its torque management making the shifts sloppy and trying to preserve the drivetrain (even though there is room for torque capacity on the ZF8 in the 4xe). It's not unique to 2.0 wranglers it happens on any FCA GPEC controlled vehicle that doesn't have torque management values adjusted

The TCM has certain torque management values if it senses values above this, like when a piggyback tuner is installed it's going to limit shifting performance which is where the driver gets a perceived difference in shifting. Same thing goes for the PCM torque management as well, its why when tuning FCA platforms you can't just tune the PCM without the TCM and vice versa because then each part is fighting against each other and is why there is diminishing returns with piggyback tuners on FCA platforms specifically GPEC PCMs. I'm not saying piggyback tuners don't work but they are of limited use on certain platforms.

As for before and after testing, people always wanted to call bullshit on my results when I told them nothing more than bolt ons and a tune gave me around 50hp extra on a 3.2 Pentastar, but I had 1/4 mile slips stock and modified with 2 different 3.2 Cherokees at various stages of mods to show what certain mods could do.

Example.

A simple customer tune from HP tuners on the PCM was good for 0.6s and 2.2mph in the 1/4 mile. Add in the TCM tune and some bolt ons, well then its 1.22s and 5.2mph difference from stock.
Very nice and detailed explanation, thank you!

I hope to squeeze a bit more out of this platform. It seems as though there isn’t much going on for the 4xe’s. Which is a shame because they are relatively quick for a Jeep. Nice to have a vehicle that does it all.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here is a ¼ mile pull in Map 2 as well as a 0-60 for Map 0.

not a huge gain, but a gain none the less View attachment 5261
View attachment 5262
I believe you are the first person on planet earth to tune a 4xe and post any evidence of doing so. Atleast from what I’ve found. So thanks for that.

second, that’s the slowest trap speed I’ve ever seen for a 13.xx 1/4 mile. From the 1/8th to the 1/4 you only gained 7.5mph. Guessing you accidentally lifted before it was over or something.

For reference here was brandon haneline 1/8th mile slip for a stock 4xe.

He destroyed you on the launch yet you have a similar 1/8th mile time, so you definitely picked up some power.

4xe is left lane, obviously (right lane is 2016+ camaro SS for those that care)
Sky Cloud Font Temperature Rectangle

·
Registered
428 Posts
Went out on a limb and installed a JB4 tuner on my wife’s 4xe Wrangler. Very easy install. The performance increase in pretty great. Most places are showing 0-60 around 6.0 seconds. With the JB4, I managed 5.17 on wet asphalt and slightly uphill (w/ 1ft rollout, which is what most testing goes by). I feel a high 4 sec 0-60 is attainable. Highly recommend! View attachment 5257
I still dont see 4xe tunes available by any vender, is this a tune for the 2.0T wrangler or the 4xe specifically?

·
Registered
64 Posts

Example.

Do you have anything for a 2.0 turbo 9 speed Cherokee AWD High Altitude yet?? Torque management seems all over the place. From a dead stop no wheel spin and feels slower than from a role. Turn off traction control, same results. From a 25 MPH role it will burn the front tires with the traction control light flickering to 60 MPH.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Do you have anything for a 2.0 turbo 9 speed Cherokee AWD High Altitude yet?? Torque management seems all over the place. From a dead stop no wheel spin and feels slower than from a role. Turn off traction control, same results. From a 25 MPH role it will burn the front tires with the traction control light flickering to 60 MPH.
torque management from american automakers in non sports cars makes me want to drive the car off a cliff.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You are totally out of luck. I tune the 3.2 Pentastar Cherokees, there is no tune for the 2.0 Cherokee. Also the Cherokee KL platform has "unique" (read garbage torque management) that is unlike any other FCA GPEC powered vehicles.

They limit engine torque in both the PCM and TCM, and the TCM is limited below stock values sometimes.

In the case of the 2.0 it can't be tuned, it has a hard limit of 295ft/lbs of torque management programmed in to the TCM and if these limits are exceeded it will dial the power back and in some cases put the vehicle in to limp mode.
The 2.0 Cherokee also limits boost in first gear below maximum values. There is so much TM and poor tuning that it really only has a window of about 3500-4500rpm where it actually makes more power than the 3.2 V6. In fact the V6 actually makes MORE torque at a lower RPM than the Turbo 2.0 Cherokee does.

Transmission torque limits

·
Registered
442 Posts
torque management from american automakers in non sports cars makes me want to drive the car off a cliff.
That doesn't ever happen.......your aren't spinning all 4 tires in an awd cherokee v6 or turbo from 25mph. If you pulled the F10 fuse and forced it to FWD then it might spin the tires.

My fully tuned and bolt on 3.2 Cherokee could spin all 4 tires from a dead stop at the track launching at 2800rpm..........but it would never spin from a roll in AWD mode and it was making around 320hp/270tq.

Example

F10 PTU fuse pulled not much wheel spin but spins on the 1-2 shift.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That doesn't ever happen.......your aren't spinning all 4 tires in an awd cherokee v6 or turbo from 25mph. If you pulled the F10 fuse and forced it to FWD then it might spin the tires.

My fully tuned and bolt on 3.2 Cherokee could spin all 4 tires from a dead stop at the track launching at 2800rpm..........but it would never spin from a roll in AWD mode and it was making around 320hp/270tq.

Example

F10 PTU fuse pulled not much wheel spin but spins on the 1-2 shift.
Wasn’t really talking about him specifically or spinning all 4. Just the incredibly unnatural throttle response and pulling power at certain times.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You are totally out of luck. I tune the 3.2 Pentastar Cherokees, there is no tune for the 2.0 Cherokee. Also the Cherokee KL platform has "unique" (read garbage torque management) that is unlike any other FCA GPEC powered vehicles.

They limit engine torque in both the PCM and TCM, and the TCM is limited below stock values sometimes.

In the case of the 2.0 it can't be tuned, it has a hard limit of 295ft/lbs of torque management programmed in to the TCM and if these limits are exceeded it will dial the power back and in some cases put the vehicle in to limp mode.
The 2.0 Cherokee also limits boost in first gear below maximum values. There is so much TM and poor tuning that it really only has a window of about 3500-4500rpm where it actually makes more power than the 3.2 V6. In fact the V6 actually makes MORE torque at a lower RPM than the Turbo 2.0 Cherokee does.

Transmission torque limits

Do you tune penastar in cherokee L?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts