Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Wasn’t really talking about him specifically or spinning all 4. Just the incredibly unnatural throttle response and pulling power at certain times.
Sorry pal I tagged the wrong person.

Do you have anything for a 2.0 turbo 9 speed Cherokee AWD High Altitude yet?? Torque management seems all over the place. From a dead stop no wheel spin and feels slower than from a role. Turn off traction control, same results. From a 25 MPH role it will burn the front tires with the traction control light flickering to 60 MPH.
See my post above.....you aren't spinning your tires at 25mph.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
so OP....any more runs/tests you have done with the JB4 installed? I am very curious since there are no other tuners that work with the 4xe even though this is for just the 2.0t.

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
246 Posts
I was using industry tests as baseline. But I understand what you are saying. I will turn to Map 0, which is OFF, and test that as well. Will post later today or tomorrow.
Car & Driver got 5.4....so maybe you are just on the better end of drivers compared to what some test sites do...

Looking forward to the baseline test.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hahaha, hey sorry about that. The notifications were going to my spam folder.

So this unit is for the 2.0, but I tested with Terry to make sure this works with the 4XE and it definitely does.
Whos terry?

diablo tried to tune this and gave up and said they won’t be supporting it. I saw another post on JL forums who tuned it and then said not to do it. Unfortunately it’s been extremely vague info. Nobody has been clear on what the issue is and you are the first person on the internet to do it and not mention any issues.

So have you noticed any issues whatsoever?

me and many other people are very interested in this and you’re all we got

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Whos terry?

diablo tried to tune this and gave up and said they won’t be supporting it. I saw another post on JL forums who tuned it and then said not to do it. Unfortunately it’s been extremely vague info. Nobody has been clear on what the issue is and you are the first person on the internet to do it and not mention any issues.

So have you noticed any issues whatsoever?
Terry is the owner of Burger Tuning. He is the maker of the JB4. The only issue I have had is the slightly slower shifting from time to time. Tyler (above) had a great detailed explanation about why that is.

I am not sure it will yield any better results, but I plan on trying some E85 mixed in. Shooting for an E30 blend. Then I will try MAP 3 and retest. I would love to see it reach 4.5 0-60.

For those interested, the tuner is super easy to install and with the bluetooth adapter, the app works real slick to change the maps on the fly. Best part is, it can be taken off and no-one is the wiser.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Terry is the owner of Burger Tuning. He is the maker of the JB4. The only issue I have had is the slightly slower shifting from time to time. Tyler (above) had a great detailed explanation about why that is.

I am not sure it will yield any better results, but I plan on trying some E85 mixed in. Shooting for an E30 blend. Then I will try MAP 3 and retest. I would love to see it reach 4.5 0-60.

For those interested, the tuner is super easy to install and with the bluetooth adapter, the app works real slick to change the maps on the fly. Best part is, it can be taken off and no-one is the wiser.
ah so I re-read the thread

ok so here’s the real mystery. You said your trans is shifting slow. Makes sense.

usually slow shifting heats up the fluid and puts a lot of stress on the torque converter. I would say this is not a good idea long term

but….we don’t have torque converters, it was replaced with an electric motor. Hmmmm

maybe that’s why diablosport chose to not offer a tune for the 4xe as I imagine trying to get an electric motor to replicate what a torque converter does is not easy and maybe he didn’t want to mess with something he didn’t fully understand.

also when you say slow shifting, does it feel like it’s cutting the power or does it feel like it’s slipping?

i know on my truck with a 6l80 the vehicle has to briefly cut power to make a shift. On the 8l90 it’s designed to power through the shift. Anybody know what this zf8 is supposed to do?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Its torque management, like I said before when the vehicle sense more power than programmed into the PCM and TCM it will change shifting methods ect. Same thing happens on other vehicles, even if you tune properly and change PCM values, if you don't touch the TCM the trans shifts sloppy and slow.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Its torque management, like I said before when the vehicle sense more power than programmed into the PCM and TCM it will change shifting methods ect. Same thing happens on other vehicles, even if you tune properly and change PCM values, if you don't touch the TCM the trans shifts sloppy and slow.
I’m wondering is if it’s shifting slow because it’s not enough pressure and the clutch packs are slipping.

or

it’s cutting power to complete the shift

i wish you could take a crack at the 4xe tcm

also wonder if any of the drive modes increase line pressure. My sierra increases the pressure when you engage tow-haul mode

·
Registered
442 Posts
I’m wondering is if it’s shifting slow because it’s not enough pressure and the clutch packs are slipping.

or

it’s cutting power to complete the shift

i wish you could take a crack at the 4xe tcm

also wonder if any of the drive modes increase line pressure. My sierra increases the pressure when you engage tow-haul mode
Clutches aren't slipping the transmission is rated for 550ft/lbs of power.

Its programming, nothing more nothing less, there is no sport mode so line pressure is controlled by whatever current shift pattern is being used.......and there is 80+ different patterns.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Clutches aren't slipping the transmission is rated for 550ft/lbs of power.

Its programming, nothing more nothing less, there is no sport mode so line pressure is controlled by whatever current shift pattern is being used.......and there is 80+ different patterns.
So yeah basically nobody is ever going to tune the 4xe because tunes kinda suck without the tcm tune. I doubt anybody wants to figure out how to tune the electric motor built into the trans which is probably controlled by the tcm.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts