Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Quick question on Gas utilization while in Hybrid mode. I have noticed that while driving in Hybrid mode, with plenty of battery left, that the gas only range starts to gradually decline as well. I was under the impression that in Hybrid mode, as long as you have charge, only battery power will be utilized.

Is there something wrong with my 4xe? Just want to see if other owners are seeing something similar.

Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Depends on how much demand you place on the Jeep. It will drive in electric first and draw from the gas engine when needed in hybrid mode. Electric mode will favor the electric motor a bit more but will still draw from the gas engine if needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on how much demand you place on the Jeep. It will drive in electric first and draw from the gas engine when needed in hybrid mode. Electric mode will favor the electric motor a bit more but will still draw from the gas engine if needed.
Thanks for the response!

Interesting. It seems to be pulling from gas when I am in Hybrid mode going to grab coffee and keeping a speed of <35 MPH (with a charge of >50%). I wonder if this has something to do with me being in 100 degree Las Vegas weather--perhaps AC? I am sure there is an explanation! But for example, I went on a 2 mile round trip this morning, had 54% Battery, 80 mile gas range and came back to 45% battery, 76 mile gas range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I notice the same thing in AZ. im generally happy with my mpg though. My electric range when fully charged is 24 mpg but typically end up getting about 27mpg and I lose about 5 mpg on my overall gas range. So I guess it averages out. After getting the whole hybrid system replaced after 2200 miles it’s been running great! 🤞

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I notice the same thing in AZ. im generally happy with my mpg though. My electric range when fully charged is 24 mpg but typically end up getting about 27mpg and I lose about 5 mpg on my overall gas range. So I guess it averages out. After getting the whole hybrid system replaced after 2200 miles it’s been running great! 🤞
Cool! Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "getting the whole hybrid system replaced"? Is that something I should expect to have done given what I mentioned above?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cool! Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "getting the whole hybrid system replaced"? Is that something I should expect to have done given what I mentioned above?
I’m sorry. I’m not suggesting that. My vehicle was in for over a month due to a CEL and after some diagnostic testing they determined that the cause was a bad hybrid system that needed to be replaced. It is not everyone’s repair for a CEL, it was the case for mine, and after I got it back, I have had over 600 miles of trouble free enjoyable driving with no issues. Hope this clarifies what happened to me. I guess the point of my post was that I live in extreme heat and run a/c constantly and it does draw power from the engine even though the engine isn’t kicking in visibly in hybrid mode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m sorry. I’m not suggesting that. My vehicle was in for over a month due to a CEL and after some diagnostic testing they determined that the cause was a bad hybrid system that needed to be replaced. It is not everyone’s repair for a CEL, it was the case for mine, and after I got it back, I have had over 600 miles of trouble free enjoyable driving with no issues. Hope this clarifies what happened to me. I guess the point of my post was that I live in extreme heat and run a/c constantly and it does draw power from the engine even though the engine isn’t kicking in visibly in hybrid mode.
Very helpful! Sounds like we are in the same boat re: AC drawing from engine power. Summer is the worst season here in the desert!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts