Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Maybe not News... But a new test video for the Overland 4XE

I do like these guys but man they really giving this vehicle some pricing slaps. Only thing I have seen this not compare value wise is to a BMW 45e. They say Jeep is going after a Land Rover... well ok lets put them on the same playing field. PHEV to PHEV. Land Rover PHEV starts at 104k. Now we are talking a 30k difference from the Overland. For 30k more I better not have hard plastic at the knee.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Could the overall popularity of the grand cherokee be what's keeping them from really building more 4XEs?

Building more and allocating resources to trims and engines styles that are more profitable?
I can't imagine it holding them back from fulfilling orders but not fulfilling inventory I could see.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Price increases had happened already for the 2022. It will likely happen again for the 2023. They will keep adjusting as needed to continue to make the desired profits on new orders. The longer they sit on old orders the more money they lose so it would be in their best interest to pump out existing orders vs sitting on them. My guess is there is just continued parts shortages.

Reactions: sjbartnikowski

·
Registered
727 Posts
This is just a wild ass guess to add fuel to the fire, but nobody has said anything about software. Even if the GC 4xe drivetrain is the same or even very close to that of the Wrangler, I'd imagine the software would be somewhat different. And software could also play a role in getting final certifications. This is pure speculation, but having managed software engineering teams for 20+ years and having worked on complicated HW/SW integration efforts, it seems plausible. It could explain why units are getting built but not shipped. Maybe all the parts are there, but the SW isn't quite ready?
I also deal with hardware/software builds and launches on occasion and have had decent pressure on software side to get it done before launch. We have been delayed launch before but only by a week or two... not months on end and nothing to the size of Jeep.

Reactions: Roy Hobbs

·
Registered
727 Posts
Why does everyone keep saying "Certification"? Everything I've gotten from Jeep (Letter with the Hat, multiple emails from Jeep Wave) have said "Validation".
True, especially the last communication. I've validated software and hardware but also have failed validation and had to rework and then revalidate. There were times I could "push" software through and know I could follow up with a patch but hardware related needed to be addressed before launch to avoid recalling the hardware which is costly. I'd rather they delay, "fix" and validate/certify whatever they are doing to make a great launch vs doing it quick and pulling a Toyota with tires falling off.

·
Registered
727 Posts
True, especially the last communication. I've validated software and hardware but also have failed validation and had to rework and then revalidate. There were times I could "push" software through and know I could follow up with a patch but hardware related needed to be addressed before launch to avoid recalling the hardware which is costly. I'd rather they delay, "fix" and validate/certify whatever they are doing to make a great launch vs doing it quick and pulling a Toyota with tires falling off.
I've also held up hardware with software that I couldn't modify after launch as we encrypt it to stop people from modifying/duplicating the software. Some parts upgradable/patchable and others hardwired into chips and hardware. Who knows really what is going on but I bet they are frantically looking to resolve it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Speaking of, how will SW updates be done on the Jeep? I just updated my 17 Pacifica's SW and Nav and each was an hour-long process with a USB stick and I needed the car to stay running the whole time.
I am really hoping you can connect to home wifi and update over night or something. I agree updating software on uconnect isn't a "speedy" process.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do we know if the mack plant runs 24/7? Mine is supposed to be built on the 13th and so just D1.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts