Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 4xe for exactly 2 months….dead in driveway, no response from keyfob, no lights, won’t start, was fully charged, all fuses checked. waiting on tow to dealer which is more than 23 miles from my house so I have to pay the extra mileage (What??????). Kind of upset. Luckily I have a Gladiator and Subaru WRX to get to work with. Anybody have this issue resolved yet?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Had my 4xe for exactly 2 months….dead in driveway, no response from keyfob, no lights, won’t start, was fully charged, all fuses checked. waiting on tow to dealer which is more than 23 miles from my house so I have to pay the extra mileage (What??????). Kind of upset. Luckily I have a Gladiator and Subaru WRX to get to work with. Anybody have this issue resolved yet?
I see you sent us a private message, montananmrk. Wanted to give you a heads up that I will be answering you there shortly!

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's an odd one. Especially for the dash to not turn on at all. How long was it sitting in the driveway? Keep us updated with what they find!

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much fun would this be on the Rubicon trail!! Dead at Rubicon Springs...I could only imagine. Hopefully Jeep gets this sorted out soon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to trade it in on a regular gas powered Rubicon, but since I have only had it 2 months I want all, I mean ALL my money back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had something similar happen when new. Have you tried jump starting? Jumpers to 12v battery underhood just like regular car. If 12v battery goes dead, vehicle is totally dead as you describe. Once you jump start you should switch to esave and drive it for 20 minutes to recharge the 12v battery. I had this happen one time and never quite sure what caused the battery drain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just got back from a long trip (600) miles driving in hybrid mode without being able to charge the big battery. shouldn’t happen. the alternator should be charging the 12V.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One hypothesis is if you leave the car in ‘run’ and exit vehicle, your dash and other accessories run on the 12v battery only. Car parked will not start engine so alternator never runs to charge battery while this drains your starter battery. You can plug in and hybrid battery will be 100% charged - no mattet as dead 12v battery will cause it to be dead dead dead (good description). If you have a voltmeter run it across the 12v starter battery under hood. Mine was at 2.7V. Should be minimum of 11.5V to start!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had this happen only once and like the Jeep too much to let her go. Not a single problem in three months since. There is a chance the starter battery drain is ‘user error’ (walking away from running vehicle) although a software safeguard should prevent total battery drain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First time it happened, battery was empty, after 20 mins able to get it started, charged overnight, took another 15 mins to get it started. Brand New Jeep shouldn't be acting like that. If want a replacement, have to wait 2 months. May as well get refund.

·
Registered
381 Posts
One hypothesis is if you leave the car in ‘run’ and exit vehicle, your dash and other accessories run on the 12v battery only. Car parked will not start engine so alternator never runs to charge battery while this drains your starter battery. You can plug in and hybrid battery will be 100% charged - no mattet as dead 12v battery will cause it to be dead dead dead (good description). If you have a voltmeter run it across the 12v starter battery under hood. Mine was at 2.7V. Should be minimum of 11.5V to start!
Team Hybrib3.0
we killed our bmw i3 with a dashcam ..guess. the 12 volt bat was done in one week . lucky bmw fixed it at no cost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
got it back from the dealer service….all they did was charge the 12V. Waiting for Mike at Fiat Chrysler to call me back. never answers his phone.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
got it back from the dealer service….all they did was charge the 12V. Waiting for Mike at Fiat Chrysler to call me back. never answers his phone.
How did you not check the 12v?? Granted, it should not be dead, but they are fallible. You sure you didn’t leave a light on or something? I’m not even sure, maybe it has built in protections against battery drain, that didn’t work? So many questions…
Dc to dc converter not working to recharge the 12v? Just a guess

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the point is it shouldn’t be dead. They never figured out WHY it was dead. I am not a stupid woman. I have had jeeps and old FJ 40’s for years and have even restored a few. I didn’t check it because its brand new and a hybrid. No I didn’t leave anything on.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
the point is it shouldn’t be dead. They never figured out WHY it was dead. I am not a stupid woman. I have had jeeps and old FJ 40’s for years and have even restored a few. I didn’t check it because its brand new and a hybrid. No I didn’t leave anything on.
View attachment 1090
Didn’t know you were a woman…
They probably should have put a new one in. I guess if it happens again it would mean something isn’t working properly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
OP you had exact same thing happen as I did (12v battery drain left vehicle dead) as mentioned earlier. Never fully confirmed the cause of the drain, but now I am deliberate about confirming that the engine is off every time I get out of the vehicle. Even in my quiet gas Jeep GC I have left the vehicle with the engine running as it idles so quietly with doors closed windows up. Never had this problem when I had to physically turn a key LOL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts