Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4xe seems to be charging faster than the JuiceBox is estimating. An amazing difference to have from an L1 EVSE!

As an example, after a 30 mile drive I put it on the charger today with 3% left on the battery. I had actually tried to burn off all the battery so I could test from 0% but the weather was nice and I didn't need AC.

I matched the starting charge to 3% on the app and by the time charging was complete I was showing somewhere in the 80s. It also completed about 20~30 minutes faster (around 1:57) than either the Jeep or JuiceBox originally estimated. I though charging had actually failed becuse of the time and the percentage reported on the app. But the Jeep was showing 100%.

I modified vehicle settings from the default to bump up the charging rate about 1 kWh to 7.6 and the range to 28 miles. When Charging the rate seems to be a solid 7.6 kWh (Graph below). The original 6 kWh setting may have been trying to average the trickle phase?

Only other parameter I can see is the EVSE Efficiency and battery capacity. It could be we only charge 15.5 kWh range? The charge from 3% added 13.44 kWh.

Not sure if anyone else here is as neurotic as me, lol. But have you had any luck getting the app to match?

Font Screenshot Parallel Circle Number

Rectangle Slope Purple Violet Font

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 4xe seems to be charging faster than the JuiceBox is estimating. An amazing difference to have from an L1 EVSE!

As an example, after a 30 mile drive I put it on the charger today with 3% left on the battery. I had actually tried to burn off all the battery so I could test from 0% but the weather was nice and I didn't need AC.

I matched the starting charge to 3% on the app and by the time charging was complete I was showing somewhere in the 80s. It also completed about 20~30 minutes faster (around 1:57) than either the Jeep or JuiceBox originally estimated. I though charging had actually failed becuse of the time and the percentage reported on the app. But the Jeep was showing 100%.

I modified vehicle settings from the default to bump up the charging rate about 1 kWh to 7.6 and the range to 28 miles. When Charging the rate seems to be a solid 7.6 kWh (Graph below). The original 6 kWh setting may have been trying to average the trickle phase?

Only other parameter I can see is the EVSE Efficiency and battery capacity. It could be we only charge 15.5 kWh range? The charge from 3% added 13.44 kWh.

Not sure if anyone else here is as neurotic as me, lol. But have you had any luck getting the app to match?

View attachment 2022

View attachment 2023
I think the main difference for the app %reading is the fact that the JuiceBox counts the whole 17.3kW as capacity but since the 4xE always holds back ~20% you will never go from 0% to 100% via the app. You can edit the total kW capacity for the JuiceBox but I was afraid to get it too close to 15kWhrs because I don’t know if theJuiceBox turns off once it gets to “100%”

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of trying that. I suspect it only uses those figures for the estimation. When you charge from 0% how many total kWh does your session report?

A little off topic, but I find the money saved calculation to be way too high. I adjusted my utility rate on the we portal but on the app side the settings are little more limited.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm calculating 13.86 kWh as a target value. But there is probably no telling what the actual charge is at 0%. It could likely take anywhere from 13.8 to 15.6.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was thinking of trying that. I suspect it only uses those figures for the estimation. When you charge from 0% how many total kWh does your session report?

A little off topic, but I find the money saved calculation to be way too high. I adjusted my utility rate on the we portal but on the app side the settings are little more limited.
I had the unrealistic cost savings issue too, if I remember correctly is was something ambiguous like the field being in $ instead of cents or watts instead of kWatts.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the web site the utility rate was defaulted to $0.01. I updated it to my rate and then got reasonable numbers for the statements. But I don't see any parameters for that metric.

I think the app is still a little rough but has good potential, especially because we can get the raw data.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the main difference for the app %reading is the fact that the JuiceBox counts the whole 17.3kW as capacity but since the 4xE always holds back ~20% you will never go from 0% to 100% via the app. You can edit the total kW capacity for the JuiceBox but I was afraid to get it too close to 15kWhrs because I don’t know if theJuiceBox turns off once it gets to “100%”
I reset mine to 13.86 kWh. I'll let you know what that does. But I think it's a reasonable amount for a full charge on the 4xe.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only got to charge from 81% today but the app seemed to match up better with what was being reported by the 4xe.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far that 13.86 kWh vehicle setting seems to be close. I just charged from 10% and the final kWh in matched at 90.2%.

I suspect variance on the Jeeps computer would make it harder to get much closer. We don't get enough significant digits to measure very well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you said " I modified vehicle settings from the default to bump up the charging rate about 1 kWh to 7.6 and the range to 28 miles", how do you do that?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you said " I modified vehicle settings from the default to bump up the charging rate about 1 kWh to 7.6 and the range to 28 miles", how do you do that?
I just got my JuiceBox so I'm curious how accurate the live charging status is for everyone. My first charge showed it ending at 81% (if memory is correct) and I thought something had gone wrong.

It's under the vehicle setup.

Menu -> My Vehicles -> Select your 4xe. Then you will see the screen shot I have above. Click "Edit" and then they can be modified.

I picked 7.6 as that's what the app reports back as the normal rate up till it hits the trickle charge phase. Their default may average out the trickle charge but I've seen it be a little variable in when the 4xe decides to do that. If they offered full data I'd try to get it and take an average. But the CSV data only tracks the summary. I tried checking their APIs but the chart data comes in through a javascript array of objects.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you michail. I will try your suggestions and see what happens. Just so you know, a certain amount of what you have described above is like a foreign language to me. It will probably make perfect sense after a cold cocktail…

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, I did just have an error reported by the Jeep I posted in another thread. But I doubt it's the settings I made. If you want, you can hold off and let me be the guinea pig for a few more days.

I'm just trying to tweak the battery capacity to the chargeable range we have access to and the charging rate. From observations it looks like these just impact the estimations you see in the app (current percentage, time to completion). The EVSE has no way of knowing since the onboard charger is responsible for everything. There is a signaling wire in the charging cable, the onboard chargers vary their resistance across this signal wire to tell the EVSE how much current to send. (I could be wrong on some details, I'm no expert)

·
Registered
64 Posts
LOL, I did just have an error reported by the Jeep I posted in another thread. But I doubt it's the settings I made. If you want, you can hold off and let me be the guinea pig for a few more days.

I'm just trying to tweak the battery capacity to the chargeable range we have access to and the charging rate. From observations it looks like these just impact the estimations you see in the app (current percentage, time to completion). The EVSE has no way of knowing since the onboard charger is responsible for everything. There is a signaling wire in the charging cable, the onboard chargers vary their resistance across this signal wire to tell the EVSE how much current to send. (I could be wrong on some details, I'm no expert)

For those curious it actually uses pulse width modulation to set current rate on the control pilot tone, resistance is used to indicate status:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I confirmed with enel X support that modifying the vehicle values is fine. So if anyone wants to get a more accurate estimation of the charge those values I have above could be a good starting point.

I did have an error but I had accidentally entered the same value in the web portal for a charge limit on the EVSE. It's very poorly marked there but it should be at 0.

When I hit the limit the jeep treated it as a charger failure.

Too bad EVSEs and onboard chargers can't communicate better with each other.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts