Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is required to bring the battery back to 100% from <1%? I believe my charger has that information via an app but I do not have wifi in the garage.

·
Registered
168 Posts
$.90? Really? Your rate per kwh is $0.06 including deilvery?

I pay ~$0.20 here in Boston, MA, so its around $3/full charge. Though gas is around $3.45 here now.
My bad I just looked at generation. Total charge is $0.17.

~$2.50 cents for ~25 miles on electric.
~$4.50 for 25 miles on gas.

I didn't buy the 4xe to save on gas money though. There's not enough range to make that math work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My bad I just looked at generation. Total charge is $0.17.

I didn't buy the 4xe to save on gas money though. There's not enough range to make that math work.
Ah ok. I was just amazed at the cost of electric.

Yeah, I knew i wasn’t saving a ton from a gas perspective at first, but we will be putting on solar soon and I get free charging at the office (when I eventually go back).

the PHEV credit and the illusion of “free” mileage was just what I needed to convince my wife to not complain that I was spending $20k more by upgrading my 2019 JLU Sport S to the Rubicon 4xe…😂😂😂

(EDIT: I meant $20K more, not $30K...too many beers while watching hockey)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ah ok. I was just amazed at the cost of electric.

Yeah, I knew i wasn’t saving a ton from a gas perspective at first, but we will be putting on solar soon and I get free charging at the office (when I eventually go back).

the PHEV credit and the illusion of “free” mileage was just what I needed to convince my wife to not complain that I was spending $30k more by upgrading my 2019 JLU Sport S to the Rubicon 4xe…😂😂😂
I am happy to use less gas but with only 25 miles of range and the bad MPGs on ICE, we aren’t saving money at a high rate. We have a Bolt that helps with the gas $$ because my wife puts on 2000 miles a month.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, 90% of my everyday driving is <30 miles. And with the ICE getting ~23-24 mpg highway I will save on actually buying gas. I just don’t save much as electricity per kWh is expensive here..

·
Registered
209 Posts
Given that 15% of the 17.3kWh battery is reserved for hybrid ops, that's ~14.7kWh of actual electric-run-only battery capacity until reaching "<1%" after which it's hybrid-mode only.

There are charging efficiency losses from the AC to DC inverter (just like DC to AC for solar, for example). So, assuming a typical ~90% charging efficiency, it takes ~16.3kWh of electricity to "fill" up ~14.7kWh in the battery.

When I'm at <1% left, I've measured 15-16kWh of electricity used to get to 100% battery charge pretty consistently. That means the buffer has some variation or the inverter is more efficient than is typical or the 15% buffer is an approximation, OR it's a combination of all the above. So kWh used "depends" on how you want to measure it; actual at-the-battery or kWh of charging needed to recharge.

(steps off of nerd soap box)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I'm at <1% left, I've measured 15-16kWh of electricity used to get to 100% battery charge pretty consistently. That means the buffer has some variation or the inverter is more efficient than is typical or the 15% buffer is an approximation, OR it's a combination of all the above. So kWh used "depends" on how you want to measure it; actual at-the-battery or kWh of charging needed to recharge.

(steps off of nerd soap box)
Good stuff you shared there. "So kWh used "depends" on how you want to measure it; actual at-the-battery or kWh of charging needed to recharge." Both I'm thinking. I am interested in getting an accurate comparison in gasoline-per-mile (mpg) vs kW-per-mile (mpkWh). I will have that ability after running wi-fi to the garage, pretty sure the Wallbox has the data.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, after connecting to the Wallbox Pulsar Plus and downloading the existing data, this charger averages 14.89 kWh from <1% to 100%. The time average for the full charging is 2 hours, 9 minutes and 48 seconds. How accurate is this data? Good question, and since it is all I have to work with, it will be the basis for further calculations. Next step will have to be an accurate record of miles per full charge. I will not trust the accuracy from the dash readouts until proofing with the data collected on my end.

Wondering if anyone has already calculated their kWh use per mile and does it show the same on their dash readout.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wondering if anyone has already calculated their kWh use per mile and does it show the same on their dash readout.
I've logged usage several times and see 60kWh per 100 miles, so .6kWh (600Wh/mile), compared to a few folks I know who own Teslas who measured theirs at 30-38 kWh per 100 miles. This makes sense that the 4xe is about half as efficient as a Tesla and is even backed up by the EPA: 100mpge Tesla vs 49mpge 4xe. That's not a bad "hit" to take to have more room, have more capability and have no range anxiety with cheaper insurance costs as a bonus feature.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.