Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sahara Unlimited 4xe
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many people choose to lease or purchase their 4xe. I decided to lease mine mainly for two reasons. 1. The $7500 tax credit was very attractive and 2. I was worried about it buying a 1st year hybrid. I know the tech has been around for more than 20 years but first generations usually are the Ginny pig models.

This is my first Wrangler and only have 850 miles on it but I love it so far. Do you think this could be a long term vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
244 Posts
Another leaser here, we tend to lease our "family cars" since we like to keep them newer / under warranty, and I've done all the math gyrations for decades to determine if/when a lease isn't optimal for our use case (which also includes lower mileage use, our April purchased 4xe has ~1500 miles).

Especially in this case where it's hard to determine what long term ownership might look like, where there could be massive battery/tech improvements making the first gen depreciation plummet. Worst case, we hand over the keys in 3 years (well, ~29 months :D), best case, we do what we did with the vehicle it replaced: buy out the lease at the end, turn around and sell it to Carvana for $10,000 over the buyout price :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought mine. I didn't even consider a lease. Maybe that was a mistake but it's the best mistake I've made in a long time. I can do whatever I want with it (although I don't know if you can mod a leased jeep or not). I plan to have it for about 7 to 10 years although I might be tempted if they have a much longer lasting battery or a full EV before then.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just curious how many people choose to lease or purchase their 4xe. I decided to lease mine mainly for two reasons. 1. The $7500 tax credit was very attractive and 2. I was worried about it buying a 1st year hybrid. I know the tech has been around for more than 20 years but first generations usually are the Ginny pig models.

This is my first Wrangler and only have 850 miles on it but I love it so far. Do you think this could be a long term vehicle?
You get the $7,500 tax credit whether you lease or buy so that shouldn't factor into the decision.

·
Super Moderator
244 Posts
I can do whatever I want with it (although I don't know if you can mod a leased jeep or not).
I did a full T1 suspension, wheels/tires, exhaust/headers/tune on a leased Corvette :D Just planned for the swap back, some things I kept, other things I left on, a few things I did a swap with another owner for their OEM parts (and they covered the labor).

·
Registered
2021 Sahara Unlimited 4xe
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since it’s my first jeep and I’m leasing I decided no expensive upgrades. I like in Florida 2 miles from the ocean so the most this Sahara will see off road is flat sand. If I continue to love it like I do now I’ll trade in at the end of the lease and buy the next one, then I can do what I want to it.

·
Super Moderator
244 Posts
Since it’s my first jeep and I’m leasing I decided no expensive upgrades. I like in Florida 2 miles from the ocean so the most this Sahara will see off road is flat sand. If I continue to love it like I do now I’ll trade in at the end of the lease and buy the next one, then I can do what I want to it.
We're about the same location/use/etc., and since we're in a real evolution with EV tech, I'd imagine by the time our lease ends, PHEVs will have xxx range, and there will be a full on BEV jeep that might be more of a long-er-ish term keeper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts