Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Leaving the car for 90 days

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bmeister 
#1 ·
Hi, new member to the forum. I've got a 2022 Rubicon 4xe on order (still probably eight weeks out). I live in Hawaii and am planning to spend about three months or so on the mainland this coming Summer/early Fall. Does anyone know if I will have any issues leaving the car without running it or charging it for this long? With my 2007 Wrangler, I just unhook my battery before leaving the island, and then reconnect it when I get home, and it starts right up every time.

Mahalo.

#2 ·
I wouldn’t leave it go unplugged for that long. There are steps to take from the Hybrid Pages Manual and or the Regular Owners Manual. But if I were you, I would let a friend drive it once a week or once every other week and charge it, keep an eye on it. Put a 12v battery tender on it. Just keep it lubricated up, and working. Kinda like dog sitting.😁👌🏻

#5 ·
This is a valid concern for military folks who have to leave a vehicle parked for a while when duty calls to go out and break things (salute to the grunts out there). The 12v battery can probably hold charge well if disconnected for 3mo, but the HV Lithium pack loses charge over time just sitting there. Going 3mo might push the HV battery pack beyond physical discharge limits given my experience with Lithium cells and kill the pack.

A Tesla we had parked at home for ~1mo in 40-50F temps, unplugged by mistake, was at 3% upon return. Yes, we were very lucky the battery didn't discharge too far and avoided a quick $8000-$12,000 pack replacement. I haven't tested the 4xe limits yet but did leave it in very cold temps for three days unplugged and it was still at 99% afterward. 🤷‍♂️

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.