Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Door Grey Wood Fixture Gas
Product Clock Gas Font Rectangle
Just bought a home. We have been living in a rental since we purchased our 4xe. I need electrical help with next steps to install a level 2 charger. Here are photos of my plug and breaker box. What are my next steps or what do I need to tell the electrician to get us up and running?

Appreciate all help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Unfortunately you need to remove that black plug and see if you have a 4th wire. The 6-30 plug is most likely connected to that 50A breaker (no idea why anyone did that) but in order to use the level 2 charger you will need 4 wires (hot, hot, ground, neutral) where as the 6-30r plug is just hot, hot, ground. You'll also need a 50A plug unless you are planning on limiting the power output of your level 2 charger.

To put it simply: Call an electrician and say "I have a 60-30r plug being fed by a 50A 220v breaker and I want to install a level 2 charger that requires 4 wires and a 50A service." They will have to do the rest. You could turn off the breaker and remove the face cover of the 6-30r plug...but you're not going to save anything apart from what the electrician is going to charge you. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Unfortunately you need to remove that black plug and see if you have a 4th wire. The 6-30 plug is most likely connected to that 50A breaker (no idea why anyone did that) but in order to use the level 2 charger you will need 4 wires (hot, hot, ground, neutral) where as the 6-30r plug is just hot, hot, ground. You'll also need a 50A plug unless you are planning on limiting the power output of your level 2 charger.

To put it simply: Call an electrician and say "I have a 60-30r plug being fed by a 50A 220v breaker and I want to install a level 2 charger that requires 4 wires and a 50A service." They will have to do the rest. You could turn off the breaker and remove the face cover of the 6-30r plug...but you're not going to save anything apart from what the electrician is going to charge you. :)
A NEMA 14-50R requires 4 wires, a NEMA 6-50R requires 3 wires, there are more choices in EVSEs that have a NEMA 14-50 plug but some are available in a NEMA 6-50. I have a Grizzl-E Classic with a NEMA 6-50 plug on it.
Also you need to make sure the wire gauge is thick enough to carry the 50 AMPs if that's what your looking for. My Grizzl-E is set for 32 AMPs and its on a 40 amp 2 pole breaker with the proper sized wire (actually the wire is rated for a 40 AMP load and 50 AMP breaker in case I want to pull more power in the future). The Jeep will only pull 32 AMPs so unless your trying to charge something else with a higher AMP charging capacity you'll only need a 40 AMP breaker/proper gauge wire/proper plug that matches the EVSE your getting.

·
Registered
88 Posts
View attachment 2644 View attachment 2645 Just bought a home. We have been living in a rental since we purchased our 4xe. I need electrical help with next steps to install a level 2 charger. Here are photos of my plug and breaker box. What are my next steps or what do I need to tell the electrician to get us up and running?

Appreciate all help.
You can simply read the writing on the cable that will tell you the gauge and number of conductors.
It should be right above "WITH GROUND" in the pic.
I'm going to go with 10/3 or 8/3 NM-(B) with ground due to the shape of the cable. (It's hard to determine the size with the close up pic)

Are the breakers labeled? (It could be on the 2P20 also)

The cable connector should be repaired/replaced before use as the metallic locknut is no longer secured to the connector and could possibly short to the metallic box.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks Grimmjpr, I didn't think they made a charger that didn't require the 4th wire.
No problem, I wanted the 3 wire, originally I had a longer run that the 4 wire would have been a bit more costly, but it ended up being a short run from another source so I ended up running the 4 wire anyway.
Funny thing is my electrician said pretty much every NEMA 14-50P EVSEs don't even use the 4th wire, from what he's seen. I think he said it just terminates inside the EVSE to nothing.
To my understanding the NEMA 14-50 is more common for dryers/ranges, and the NEMA 6-50 is more common for welders/compressors.

·
Registered
2021, Jeep, JLUR 4xe
5 Posts
A NEMA 14-50R requires 4 wires, a NEMA 6-50R requires 3 wires, there are more choices in EVSEs that have a NEMA 14-50 plug but some are available in a NEMA 6-50. I have a Grizzl-E Classic with a NEMA 6-50 plug on it.
Also you need to make sure the wire gauge is thick enough to carry the 50 AMPs if that's what your looking for. My Grizzl-E is set for 32 AMPs and its on a 40 amp 2 pole breaker with the proper sized wire (actually the wire is rated for a 40 AMP load and 50 AMP breaker in case I want to pull more power in the future). The Jeep will only pull 32 AMPs so unless your trying to charge something else with a higher AMP charging capacity you'll only need a 40 AMP breaker/proper gauge wire/proper plug that matches the EVSE your getting.
What he said. I’ve got a Mustart I got off Amazon I’ve been using on my Bolt and it works great, came with a 6-50 plug, but has a quick connect plug so you can get different plugs and switch out easily without buying entire EVSE. I’ll probably buy another of the same once the 4xe gets here. I live on an old farm with 6-50 outlets everywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 2644 View attachment 2645 Just bought a home. We have been living in a rental since we purchased our 4xe. I need electrical help with next steps to install a level 2 charger. Here are photos of my plug and breaker box. What are my next steps or what do I need to tell the electrician to get us up and running?

Appreciate all help.
A qualified electrician would know exactly what to do. All you have to tell them is the purpose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can buy the leviton which uses the 6-30r plug already supplied. Only downside is that you are maxxed out at 20 amps instead of possible 32amps.

I bought one from Amazon for approx 420. There are cheaper options but I appreciate that it has all the electrical certs.

I use it as travel setup, since I charge at other locations that have either a 6-50 or 10-30 plug. And I use adaptors from Amazon.

It will take 3.5 hours or so for full charge vs 2 hr 20 min on 32 amps.

One thing to consider is making sure its running at least a #10 awg wire. Since I see u also have a breaker for 20 amp service. If it's connected to the 20 amp, u can exchange breaker if u have at least #10 awg. If you don't have #10 awg or greater (#8 or #6) then you are out of luck.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
90 Posts
Just guessing that the panel is a sub-panel located in a garage, yes or no? The 50 amp circuit could likely be feeding that receptacle. So all that is necessary would be to verify the cable size used in the receptacle is sufficient for the 50 amp maximum load and replace with the receptacle that your charger requires. An electrician could have you up and running in about an hour. Here's hoping all goes well for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all of the answers and feedback. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
The panel is just for the garage. It actually has its own account with the power company. We do not have gas at the home.
I will call the electrician today!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.