Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guidance please: we are buying an older home. In the garage they have the plug that I have attached a picture of. Will this work for a level 2 charger?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'd open that up and check out the wire. That looks like a huge cable. The outlet can be replaced easy enough. But the AWG of the cable and the rating of the breaker is what is really important.
Agree with Wrangler4XEFan, as long at the wire is at least 8 AWG (copper) or 6 AWG ( aluminum) your in good shape. They may have even run out a neutral and aren’t using it in which case it’s an easy swap to a NEMA 14-50.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Agree with Wrangler4XEFan, as long at the wire is at least 8 AWG (copper) or 6 AWG ( aluminum) your in good shape. They may have even run out a neutral and aren’t using it in which case it’s an easy swap to a NEMA 14-50.
That cable sure looks big enough and the right shape to have a neutral.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No it’s a 30 amp plug. You need at least a #8AWG wire for 50 amps. Sounds like most everyone here has given you the correct info. I’m a journeyman electrician so PM me if you ever have a question. Also, to answer everyone else’s question look at the wire sheething, it should say SE or SER and the wire size 8AWG or something similar, be need to open the box. It’s most likely aluminum so you would need at least a 6.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That doesn't look like a 14-50 outlet. Also make sure you have a 50amp breaker installed. it should look like the image below. The breaker will take up 2 slots in your electrical panel.
View attachment 1207
Same boat, I will tel you want to do
As everyone else said. Check the breaker for amp. It should be minimum 20AMP. If it is 20AMP you can set you Leven 2 to 16AMP, if more you set it accordingly. Most level 2 has three options 16AMP, ~30AMP and 40AmP. More amp faster charging
Second nema 6-30r or 14-50 not big deal. Earlier you buy level 2 charger with correct nema or Amazon sales good nema connectors for 30$

Overall it should work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same boat, I will tel you want to do
As everyone else said. Check the breaker for amp. It should be minimum 20AMP. If it is 20AMP you can set you Leven 2 to 16AMP, if more you set it accordingly. Most level 2 has three options 16AMP, ~30AMP and 40AmP. More amp faster charging
Second nema 6-30r or 14-50 not big deal. Earlier you buy level 2 charger with correct nema or Amazon sales good nema connectors for 30$

Overall it should work.
Really now? The level 2 an ampacity selection? That’s interesting. I’ve never seen one or looked at the documentation but that’s a neat feature.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Really now? The level 2 an ampacity selection? That’s interesting. I’ve never seen one or looked at the documentation but that’s a neat feature.
For example By default, the JuiceBox Pro 40 is set to pull 40 amps, but this can be adjusted downward through the app or the web portal. on the other hand grizzle has physical button to adjust the amps. My breaker only 20amp so I downgraded to 16amp. It takes around 4.5 hours to fill charger instead of 2. But not bad b

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same 3 prong that was installed in the 70s. When I went to install the 4 prong the 4th wire was there. Previous poster suggested taking cover off and take a look. Either way it can be done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would just pay a small fee and get an electrician out to verify and resolve. If you can afford $55k+ you can afford an electrician. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No it’s a 30 amp plug. You need at least a #8AWG wire for 50 amps. Sounds like most everyone here has given you the correct info. I’m a journeyman electrician so PM me if you ever have a question. Also, to answer everyone else’s question look at the wire sheething, it should say SE or SER and the wire size 8AWG or something similar, be need to open the box. It’s most likely aluminum so you would need at least a 6.
Meh. Or he can just PM me some photos and I’ll gladly give him my journeyman electrical advice for free and save him the hassle and cost.
That is awesome! That’s what’s great about these forum, good people that look out for each other. I don’t
Meh. Or he can just PM me some photos and I’ll gladly give him my journeyman electrical advice for free and save him the hassle and cost.
that is awesome! I will take you up on that. We don’t take possession of the house for a couple of month, so you have a little time before I send some pictures your way. I love Jeep people!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is awesome! That’s what’s great about these forum, good people that look out for each other. I don’t

that is awesome! I will take you up on that. We don’t take possession of the house for a couple of month, so you have a little time before I send some pictures your way. I love Jeep people!
Sounds good! I’m admittedly not a Jeep owner, yet at least. Wife is getting a Bronco, I have a Challenger and I’m here debating every single day on if I need a Rubicon 4XE. Hard decision for me because I can’t have both and I love my car and have done stuff to it. So it’s difficult.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds good! I’m admittedly not a Jeep owner, yet at least. Wife is getting a Bronco, I have a Challenger and I’m here debating every single day on if I need a Rubicon 4XE. Hard decision for me because I can’t have both and I love my car and have done stuff to it. So it’s difficult.
You want it bad but you don't need it😂

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I am really starting to enjoy my Chevy Colorado ZR2 with the dusk package. However, the dealer is giving me a crazy good deal on the trade in plus the government is giving me 8k to go hybrid...so it's a no brainer to "upgrade" to the Jeep. But the more I drive the Colorado, the more I like it. Also, going from 7500 pounds of towing capacity to 3500 AND loosing the truck bed is going to be a problem down the road I believe. So I'm going to have to find a lightweight trailer to haul things around in and preferably a trailer with a double axle given my tendency to loose a tire at the wrong time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts