Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I picked up Sahara 4xe on Saturday, I'm going to install level 2 charge station, my question is how do all these charge stations work. For example do you purchase then and then have electrician come install, or can they simply plug into a 220v outlet? I'm so confused,

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok I picked up Sahara 4xe on Saturday, I'm going to install level 2 charge station, my question is how do all these charge stations work. For example do you purchase then and then have electrician come install, or can they simply plug into a 220v outlet? I'm so confused,
Depends on the one you order. I ordered one that will just plug in. I think it would be better that way, cause you can have the plug for other uses as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Level 2 really just means 240v connection, the same kind that might power your clothes dryer. If you have one of these already within reach of where you park, you could buy a charger unit with the proper adapter for the style of plug you have and not necessarily need an electrician. If you don’t have one of these plugs near your garage/driveway the question becomes, “how much work needs to be done to install one?” That answer is different for every home depending on where your existing wiring is and how much overhead capacity you have to expand it. You can also hardwire them, but don’t need to.

The wall charger itself is just a unit that plugs into that 240v outlet and has a j1772 connector on the other end. Different units offer different convenience features like apps to monitor status, scheduling charge sessions during off-peak, etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, now I have a much better understanding, installing the 240v outlet, need on the side of the house where I park, now I just have to research the charges, thank you again. Love this forum people are so helpful

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just use this with the dryer outlet and takes about 5-6 hours to get a full charge.
it is important to mention that the cord that comes with the 4xe does not work with this. Husband made this adapter and we use the cord from his Chevy Volt.
CF1BF6F8-7C71-41D5-B668-8209B7C7E607.jpeg

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got a splitvolt (smart switch for the dryer outlet) and a Grizzl-e charger. Works fantastic, 0-100% in 2:58

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this but what I understand is the electrician will run a 3 or a 4 wire and a plug (or hard wired). Plug type N6-50 (3 wire) or N14-50 (4 wire). N14-50 is available at RV parks so you could take the charger to the RV park and use it there (if not hard wired at your home). Also, N14-50 has more power so is a bit of future proofing for later vehicles that can take advantage.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thank you, now I have a much better understanding, installing the 240v outlet, need on the side of the house where I park, now I just have to research the charges, thank you again. Love this forum people are so helpful
Your Jeep is capable of drawing 32A @ 240v so if the EVSE you purchase is capable of delivering 32A or greater then make sure your circuit has at least a 40A 2 pole breaker.

You can use a lower rated circuit such as a clothes dryer outlet but make sure your EVSE has a setting to limit the amps delivered to the car.

Here is what it looks like when you draw too many amps from the panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a splitvolt (smart switch for the dryer outlet) and a Grizzl-e charger. Works fantastic, 0-100% in 2:58
quick question - I think in the US it's standard to have a dryer set to 30amps max. Are you adjusting the max current output of Grizzl-e charger to 24 amps?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just use this with the dryer outlet and takes about 5-6 hours to get a full charge.
it is important to mention that the cord that comes with the 4xe does not work with this. Husband made this adapter and we use the cord from his Chevy Volt. View attachment 945

Not the right cable , need to be at least 8 gauge wire each. your's will act like a fuse , getting very hot and maybe starts a fire.
Some City codes require even 6 gauge for high amp installations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would check with your electric company to see if they offer any kind of rebates on a level 2 charger or the installation.
For example my electric company has a $500 rebate on the purchase of a ChargePoint Flex Home charger and help finding an installer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts