Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased a level 2 (32A) charger for their Jeep? And if so what model? I've seen the one on Mopar.com for $650.00 but wanted to see if there were better options and recommendations from people that had them instead of playing Eeny, meeny, miny, moe on Amazon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I bought the Grizzl-E Smart charger. $449, ships for free from Ontario, Canada. I got the plug-in version (NEMA 14-50 plug), no hard-wired. This is a 40-Amp charger, but you can adjust dip-switches to set it up for 32 (or 16). But no need, the 4xe chokes down the current to 32 on its own.
They’re still developing the app, so for now you use a portal in your web browser to profile your charger and set up charging schedules (If you’re into that kinda thing).
The UI in that portal is pretty sub-par, and it took me a few tries to get my charger connected to my network. But now it’s dialed in and works like a charm.
I don’t know if I see myself scheduling my charges. It’s so fast (2 hours and change to full charge) that the plug and play technique seems fine to me. But I do want to use the app eventually to monitor usage, etc.
As far as design, this thing is burly: looks meant to withstand arctic winters (which, well, it kinda is).
The customer service is outstanding, and I’m confident they’ll get the “smart” part up to speed soon. Their classic charger is a time-tested product with rave reviews across the board. In the meantime, you can set your charger up to work with 3rd-party apps.
If you don’t need a smart charger, you can get the Grizzl-E Classic for even less ($400). Either way, I recommend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got the Accell fast from Costco. Not sure exactly the specs but takes about 4 hours from empty. And I figured with Costco I had some extra protection should it go south. Not sure on electronics with them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a ChargePoint Home Flex. Good brand, good features, mobile app, good charging network. A bit more money than some of the others, but the added features seemed compelling enough to me to spend the extra $$$.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with the Wallbox pulsar plus due to its size and ability to lower the amperage via an app for overnight charging (which should theoretically extend battery longevity vs very rapid charging). $600 on Amazon (though not yet OCPP compliant if your locale like California offers it). My second choice was the Jeep rebranded Clipper Creek. My third choice was chargepoint flex but they are double the price of the others. I had to install mine outside in the elements. The first two are nema 4 rated so much more weather/water proof.

Here's the charger handle holder I got (comes with the Jeep branded one):

Excellent comprehensive reviews on this channel of all the top models:

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought the Grizzle-e Smart Avalanche. Reason for that is I live in the Northeast and I am having it installed outside. Charger reviews testing for stiffness of the cable caused by cold weather suggested this one did best. ElectricIan is in process of installing the line to it. Meanwhile, I am still waiting for accurate word since 6/14 order date as to when vehicle will be built.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm looking at these level 2 chargers and considering the Grlzzl-e charger, but I'm going to be sharing a 30 amp dryer circuit from my main panel with one of the smart-switches which toggles between the dryer and EV charger automatically. The Grizzl-e chan charge at 16 or 32 amps, but on a 30 amp circuit that will limit me to 16, otherwise I'm going to be tripping the breaker. So what I really need is a level-2 charger than can charge at 24 amps, correct? This is the max I can charge at on a 30amp circuit, correct? I'm looking at this one:

If I buy a 32 or 40 amp charger, set it up on this 30-amp circuit and the jeep automatically dials it back to charge at 30amps, am I going to run the risk of tripping that breaker on a regular basis? I want to avoid that scenario, and I think the only way to do it is to buy a 24 amp charger. Tell me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I bought the Grizzl-E Smart charger. $449, ships for free from Ontario, Canada. I got the plug-in version (NEMA 14-50 plug), no hard-wired. This is a 40-Amp charger, but you can adjust dip-switches to set it up for 32 (or 16). But no need, the 4xe chokes down the current to 32 on its own.
They’re still developing the app, so for now you use a portal in your web browser to profile your charger and set up charging schedules (If you’re into that kinda thing).
The UI in that portal is pretty sub-par, and it took me a few tries to get my charger connected to my network. But now it’s dialed in and works like a charm.
I don’t know if I see myself scheduling my charges. It’s so fast (2 hours and change to full charge) that the plug and play technique seems fine to me. But I do want to use the app eventually to monitor usage, etc.
As far as design, this thing is burly: looks meant to withstand arctic winters (which, well, it kinda is).
The customer service is outstanding, and I’m confident they’ll get the “smart” part up to speed soon. Their classic charger is a time-tested product with rave reviews across the board. In the meantime, you can set your charger up to work with 3rd-party apps.
If you don’t need a smart charger, you can get the Grizzl-E Classic for even less ($400). Either way, I recommend.
I have the grizzl-e without the smart application (internet horrible at my home) and it works great!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm looking at these level 2 chargers and considering the Grlzzl-e charger, but I'm going to be sharing a 30 amp dryer circuit from my main panel with one of the smart-switches which toggles between the dryer and EV charger automatically. The Grizzl-e chan charge at 16 or 32 amps, but on a 30 amp circuit that will limit me to 16, otherwise I'm going to be tripping the breaker. So what I really need is a level-2 charger than can charge at 24 amps, correct? This is the max I can charge at on a 30amp circuit, correct? I'm looking at this one:

If I buy a 32 or 40 amp charger, set it up on this 30-amp circuit and the jeep automatically dials it back to charge at 30amps, am I going to run the risk of tripping that breaker on a regular basis? I want to avoid that scenario, and I think the only way to do it is to buy a 24 amp charger. Tell me if I'm wrong.
I'm almost positive the Grizzl e charger can be set to 16,24,32,40 amps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts