Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '07 JK that has been covered in sand for all 15 years of it's existence and I've had no issues. No carpet, kept up with regular maintenance, no issues. So.....I've searched here and read the electric addendum to the manual. What are the long term ramifications of the additional equipment in the vehicle? I see the battery is basically 10 year/150k miles which is good.

I'm just wondering how it will live up to a beating. Constantly being rinsed out, covered in sand, etc. That's what pushes me back to a normal JL. The 4xe is definitely interestng and I would love to do the bulk of my driving in all-electric mode, but.......I also want something I can depend on for the long haul.

Any comments?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good question but I think only time will tell. I had a 2012 JK with no problems other than after 9 years of the New England salted roads I had to replace the parking brake. So I’m hoping for the same long term results with my 4xe. I’m absolutely loving it so far. But I haven’t done the sand thing you’re talking about.

·
Registered
73 Posts
At least with older hybrids, like Prius-es, the hybrid parts seem to last a very long time and simultaneously reduce wear on the engine. The 4xe has a very different design than those, and is most similar to the BMW PHEV's, none of which are that old yet - so it's hard to say for sure. On paper at least nothing should require more maintenance than a regular JL, and the hybrid components are supposed to be sealed against water/sand ingress. Personally, I'm not worried though my 4xE isn't my primary/only vehicle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm positive for a long term relation with the 4xe, the maintenance is equivalent to the other Wranglers, but can be better if we use it more in EV drive.
Having the Samsung Batterys is a Plus since i see no lost in capacity from the BMW I3 after 3 Years and many recharges. Maybe after 150k miles on Battery use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've beaten the crap out of mine in Moab, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.... I prefer electric mode doing technical crawling and steep climbs and descents as it's more predictable than the little turbo engine. That said, I expect this Jeep to last longer due to the limited wear on the engine. I was surprised to see the same maintenance schedule for oil changes on the 4xe since there will be many less miles on the oil than on the vehicle overall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've beaten the crap out of mine in Moab, Colorado, Wyoming, etc.... I prefer electric mode doing technical crawling and steep climbs and descents as it's more predictable than the little turbo engine. That said, I expect this Jeep to last longer due to the limited wear on the engine. I was surprised to see the same maintenance schedule for oil changes on the 4xe since there will be many less miles on the oil than on the vehicle overall.
Yeah, this was my thought as well - the maintenance invovled with the ICE, it's going to have a lot less wear and tear. I guess there's no substantive long-term effects documented, because well........they don't have that data. So, I mean the miles are still calculating on the transmission, suspension, etc. but just a quick calculation using my '07 JK:

JK has 166k miles (actually 180k due to a tire switch) in almost 15 years of use (bought in October 2016):Roughly 12k/year
4ke: given that I work from home and drive 80% of time within the 20-25 mile radius, and drive roughly 9k miles a year (it would go up with a dependable vehicle - trips, etc.), let's say 10k, with 2k of those miles on ICE, So.......in 15 years of use, that's roughly 30k miles on a ICE???

So basically instead of engine issues you will likely have battery issues within the 15 years (10 years of that in warranty). What's the price for a new battery pack now........and then just inflate it out to the future.

Last - far as taking a beating, this would be mostly just the day in day out salt spray on it. I'm just curious if anyone from Jeep can chime in on that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, this was my thought as well - the maintenance invovled with the ICE, it's going to have a lot less wear and tear. I guess there's no substantive long-term effects documented, because well........they don't have that data. So, I mean the miles are still calculating on the transmission, suspension, etc. but just a quick calculation using my '07 JK:

JK has 166k miles (actually 180k due to a tire switch) in almost 15 years of use (bought in October 2016):Roughly 12k/year
4ke: given that I work from home and drive 80% of time within the 20-25 mile radius, and drive roughly 9k miles a year (it would go up with a dependable vehicle - trips, etc.), let's say 10k, with 2k of those miles on ICE, So.......in 15 years of use, that's roughly 30k miles on a ICE???

So basically instead of engine issues you will likely have battery issues within the 15 years (10 years of that in warranty). What's the price for a new battery pack now........and then just inflate it out to the future.

Last - far as taking a beating, this would be mostly just the day in day out salt spray on it. I'm just curious if anyone from Jeep can chime in on that.
Hopefully, batteries will be cheaper in 10 years with technology gains. Or I might just not ever change the battery and use the ICE for the last 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully, batteries will be cheaper in 10 years with technology gains. Or I might just not ever change the battery and use the ICE for the last 100,000 miles.
Yeah, but.....if the battery failed, not a loss of capacity, but a complete failure, as I understand it, the vehicle won't start/operate, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts