Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone else find value if we had a selectable option in the Hybrid Menu to tell the vehicle we were planning a long road trip without plans to stop and recharge along the way. Essentially a mode that works in a 80% engine / 20% battery usage as opposed to the standard 90% battery first / 10% engine use we currently have in order to offset the engine workload with the battery for more miles and potentially better fuel mileage? This is all assumptive and fictitious numbers I'm using, but curious. Anyone else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish hybrid would use less battery in general, since for me hybrid seems to mostly use battery first before switching to gas. The electric range is already low enough. The feature you mentioned would greatly extend the battery life which would definitely be nice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya. I'm learning the the vehicle will always prioritize usage of the battery first since it is a more economical fuel source and it has no idea when we will recharge it next.

But if it had two operational algorithms and we could have a way tell it, then...😁

But this is all theory and I have no way of knowing or testing if it would actually result in mpg gains when going on full battery/ single tank drives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's a great idea but I highly doubt we will see it as a new feature, especially something applied retroactively to already released vehicles. I just toggle to E-Save when I'm going on trips and pretty much only use hybrid when I'm driving close to home.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even if it's a mild gain, you're probably right. 😔 Maybe a 2023 potential?
Curious, do you use E-Save for those longer trips because you plan to use battery at your destination or for a different reason. Do you have E-Save set to Save Battery or Charge Battery in the Hybrid Menu?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use E-Save on trips because I just don't like the idea of running around on <1% battery all of the time. I actually am unaware of the Hybrid Menu you speak of. I've only had my 4xe about a month.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Would anyone else find value if we had a selectable option in the Hybrid Menu to tell the vehicle we were planning a long road trip without plans to stop and recharge along the way. Essentially a mode that works in a 80% engine / 20% battery usage as opposed to the standard 90% battery first / 10% engine use we currently have in order to offset the engine workload with the battery for more miles and potentially better fuel mileage? This is all assumptive and fictitious numbers I'm using, but curious. Anyone else?
Yes,I would

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah. Gotcha. A little FYI, my understanding is even though the display shows <1%, there is still approximately a 15% reserve still present in the battery for true hybrid operations and the vehicle is designed to keep it near that reserve through ICE operation and regenerative braking.

If you select Apps on the Uconnect and select the E Hybrid Menu you will find an e-save page with two options.
Battery Save - it keeps the current charge in the battery while still using the hidden 15% for normal hybrid operations while the ICE is running.
Battery Charge - charges the battery up to 95% using the ICE and regenerative braking while still using the hidden 15% for normal hybrid operations. This selection is the least favorable in regards to vehicle efficiency but useful if you have a partially depleted battery and want to drive to a destination using the ICE so you can drive around on battery when you get there.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It would be nice to have the feature you mentioned for sure. I typically use e-save for my drive to work since it is almost all downhill. Then the battery gets saved for my drive home which usually leaves quite a bit since my drive is about 12 miles each way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Kinda resurrecting here, but with FORM hitting many of us, it appears as though this very thing is happening.

While in FORM, the engine is running all the time, yet we're seeing the rpms stay low and battery being used, just at a greatly reduced rate.

It'd be nice to see Tazer or Superchips or someone push this as a 4xe option.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahhh. I think I am starting to see the logic. I have not been stuck in FORM specifically, just Electric Mode Unavailable. Could you provide some numbers from the Hybrid Page?
Cruise set at 70mph on a flat highway with plenty of battery, what do you see on average for ICE load and Battery load when stuck in FORM vs not stuck in FORM?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ahhh. I think I am starting to see the logic. I have not been stuck in FORM specifically, just Electric Mode Unavailable. Could you provide some numbers from the Hybrid Page?
Cruise set at 70mph on a flat highway with plenty of battery, what do you see on average for ICE load and Battery load when stuck in FORM vs not stuck in FORM?
Let me amend my previous: we're definitely in "electric mode unavailable" and I know I've seen FORM with that message, but I'm not 100% FORM was there all the time "electric mode unavailable" was.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts