Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 4xe last night. I drove it less than 50 miles in hybrid mode after a 90% charge and the charge is about gone. I would have expected this to be more like a Toyota, BMW or Subaru that regenerates and keeps the charge unless you go fully electric. Am I missing something, or do I need to take this car back to the dealer?

Also, the MPG gauge has shown that I've been averaging less than 14 MPG since I got it last night. Again, it's in hybrid mode, and everything I read says that it should be getting like 49 eMPG. Am I misreading the gauge, or is something wrong?

Thx!

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
42 Posts
Just picked up my 4xe last night. I drove it less than 50 miles in hybrid mode after a 90% charge and the charge is about gone. I would have expected this to be more like a Toyota, BMW or Subaru that regenerates and keeps the charge unless you go fully electric. Am I missing something, or do I need to take this car back to the dealer?

Also, the MPG gauge has shown that I've been averaging less than 14 MPG since I got it last night. Again, it's in hybrid mode, and everything I read says that it should be getting like 49 eMPG. Am I misreading the gauge, or is something wrong?

Thx!
It’s normal. none of PHEVs would retain battery charge driving in hybrid mode. It will be consumed, slower then in EV mode, but your battery will be drained eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t know man, I just picked mine up and in hybrid mode it looked like I was burning battery miles at 1 a real mile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just read the manual and it says in hybrid mode the vehicle uses up the battery first then then switches to gas. But I did discover you should turn in the max regenerative braking which is the blue battery button under the stereo.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Exactly. That's what mine is doing, which doesn't make sense. And then you'e stuck with a 4 cylinder Jeep pushing around a useless and super heavy battery pack.

Except, I took ours for a drive, at the 1% battery level, i.e., no charge, no option for switch to pure battery, went WOT, and that was absolutely more than 270HP. I think there's some kind of reserve always on tap for extreme acceleration demands. Maybe you can't do that over and over, not 100% clear[?]

It won't be such a big deal for us as our operational area is like a 5 mile radius, and we're getting a Level 2 charger installed, so getting back to full juice won't take 10 years ...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Except, I took ours for a drive, at the 1% battery level, i.e., no charge, no option for switch to pure battery, went WOT, and that was absolutely more than 270HP. I think there's some kind of reserve always on tap for extreme acceleration demands. Maybe you can't do that over and over, not 100% clear[?]

It won't be such a big deal for us as our operational area is like a 5 mile radius, and we're getting a Level 2 charger installed, so getting back to full juice won't take 10 years ...
New here, but I read that when the battery indicator is showing less than >1%, in reality it still holds somewhere around 15% for use in the hybrid mode. So that leaves you with the efficiency of the true hybrid mode but not straight electric only.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I took mine out for a few hours yesterday with a full charge and kept it in hybrid mode the entire time. I can confirm that it mostly relies on the battery until it's primary charge is fully expended. I noticed it did switch to gas engine a bit more quickly than it did when in Electric mode. In Electric mode, it would only switch to the engine when I basically floored it. In Hybrid mode, it would do it when I did anything other than gently accelerate, particularly on hills.

What I noticed when the Electric mode battery was expended was that the engine and the reserve battery were being used simultaneously almost all the time. Obviously, you can see when the engine is being used by the RPMs but if you look on the opposite side of the primary driver console, there is an "equivelant" gauge for the battery. In Hybrid mode, you should see both RPMs and the battery being used almost all the time. On the highway at 75, I was running around 2000 rpms and using about 15-20% battery power. My average mpgs did creep down because I had primarily only driven in Electric mode until then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are in hybrid mode it will use both engine and battery until the battery is below 1% and will not recharge the battery from the engine as you would see in other standard hybrids. The only way we have found to charge the battery from the engine to maintain the battery on long trips is to do the following:
Switch to eSave mode and go to your Uconnect app on console and go to hybrid electric page and select eSave button and change esave charging option from battery save to battery charge.
Battery Save will only charge the battery from regene breaking and for some reason seems to be the default setting.
Battery charge will also allow the battery to be charged while engine is running in esave mode.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are in hybrid mode it will use both engine and battery until the battery is below 1% and will not recharge the battery from the engine as you would see in other standard hybrids. The only way we have found to charge the battery from the engine to maintain the battery on long trips is to do the following:
Switch to eSave mode and go to your Uconnect app on console and go to hybrid electric page and select eSave button and change esave charging option from battery save to battery charge.
Battery Save will only charge the battery from regene breaking and for some reason seems to be the default setting.
Battery charge will also allow the battery to be charged while engine is running in esave mode.
The reason why the battery save mode is default is because you actually will get lower mpg in the engine charge mode. but for me- If I'm selecting e-save as an option - I want the most miles in all electric at my destination (off-roading) and am willing to sacrifice the few miles of gas for it considering current charge rates are more than the gas i'm using.

Also notably- the most efficient speeds for charging the battery is between 45 and 55 mph.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My post dealer drive back was 211 miles on a depleted battery and then normal daily use came out to 35 MPG combined when taking a pump measurement. I suspect I will be way higher on typical usage.

Speed also kills MPG on the Jeep, just like every Jeep ever made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t know man, I just picked mine up and in hybrid mode it looked like I was burning battery miles at 1 a real mile.
It gets better with time, as the engine breaks in. The same happened with mine, and now it is about accurate with the miles I am traveling. It prioritizes the electric when there is a full charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Drove mine for about 80 miles from dealer and averaged about 22 MPG with about 70 miles on highway at 65-70. Currently at 150 miles averaging about 24.7 MPG with short all electric trips. I assume, it will end up with a pretty high MPG with my basic usage which will be short trips around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drove mine for about 80 miles from dealer and averaged about 22 MPG with about 70 miles on highway at 65-70. Currently at 150 miles averaging about 24.7 MPG with short all electric trips. I assume, it will end up with a pretty high MPG with my basic usage which will be short trips around.
The real test is what kind of mileage when wheeling rocks in four low for 100 miles? My '87 5sp 20 gal tank XJ got better than 15 mpg wheeling, 20-22 hiway.... never needed to carry gas. Different story for my TJ. Carrying gas is a PIA; running out is worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got about 500 miles on 1 tank of gas, but I guess the key is to charge the hell out of this thing as much as possible. A lot of the driving I did on that tank was with less than 1% battery. I feel like I misunderstood the efficiency info when I bought it, not knowing that really I'm only getting a "free" 25ish miles before gas is being used primarily. Whether in electric or hybrid, the battery sucks down to nothing after 25 miles. However I still absolutely love it, I just need to plan better and realize this Jeep for short commutes and not long road trips.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts