Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got about 500 miles on 1 tank of gas, but I guess the key is to charge the hell out of this thing as much as possible. A lot of the driving I did on that tank was with less than 1% battery. I feel like I misunderstood the efficiency info when I bought it, not knowing that really I'm only getting a "free" 25ish miles before gas is being used primarily. Whether in electric or hybrid, the battery sucks down to nothing after 25 miles. However I still absolutely love it, I just need to plan better and realize this Jeep for short commutes and not long road trips.
that's what I've noted as well. Long drives you can kiss the electric goodbye after 24 miles - rest is all on gas. Don't understand the Hybrid BS - for me it completely stops using electric on freeway once the juice gets depleted. After 2 hours of non stop driving it saves 4% on battery. Big deal. Maybe the battery is bad on my Jeep. As someone said the only way to get a higher MPG is to use this truck for local grocery shopping only and drive it on all electric locally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good morning from Canada.
Im not sure if this thread is still active or not, but here goes.

I have been driving the highway to work and back, about 44kms. sorry not miles.. lol...
i use electric mode until it shuts off.
Everyday is different.
I find when it gets down into the 10% range, it can either get lazy and not want to stay in electric. or if i am on flat road, it will continue to use the battery till it runs out.
around the 10% range it struggles to go up a hill at 110kph. and will switch to gas.
I average 32kms on battery on the highway.

Anyone else having this issue??
I thought it would have been closer to the 42km range that they advertise.
i am only 44kms to work, and thought it would have been a 4km drive on gas.
not the case.

Anyway.
anyone else jeep feel gutless on the highway around 10% in electric mode?

·
Registered
88 Posts
@BigMac17

Gutless is a pretty good description of what mine is doing half way through the battery. In Electric Mode, I have not been able to go the 21miles/33.8km predicted on the gauge since having a failure with the battery coolant pump. On the highway, I can only go 4-5 miles/8km before the ICE kicks in and runs in hybrid. I get maybe 10-11 miles/17km doing 55mph/88km on a country road without stopping. I get a ding and "Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable" message on mine because the electric motor in the transmission is getting over 330F/165.6C. Do you get the same message, or does it stay in Electric Mode and run the ICE for a bit then shut it off without any messages?

I can always tell when it is about to happen too because it can't keep speed and applying more and more pedal has no effect (gutless). Once I give it around 3/4 pedal, the ICE kicks in and the vehicle lurches forward. This is all on flat road.

Mine has 4,800 miles/7,725km and is getting worse. Our last full charge/full tank trip of 230 miles/370km we got 14.2mpg/22.85kpg. It use to run great when we first got it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont think that my milage is that bad.
sounds like yours might have some issues.
my estimated battery range always says 41kms. but in real life on the highway i get 33ish.

I wasnt sure if i had the only issue about it shutting down at 10%.

it seems like i the electric must be only for city driving.
That would have been nice to know before buying it..
lmao

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
65 Posts

I have been driving the highway to work and back, about 44kms. sorry not miles.. lol...
Everyday is different.
I find when it gets down into the 10% range, it can either get lazy and not want to stay in electric. or if i am on flat road, it will continue to use the battery till it runs out.
around the 10% range it struggles to go up a hill at 110kph. and will switch to gas.

not the case.
Your vehicle appears to be performing to spec range. I don’t know where you got the 44 km electric range expectation from, unless it’s from EU published results which, like in the “Ask the Expert” interview, the Jeep engineer stated there are differences in how NA testing is done compared to EU, hence, the difference in published numbers.

Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Document

·
Registered
597 Posts

Everyday is different.

not the case.

Anyway.
anyone else jeep feel gutless on the highway around 10% in electric mode?
It is now, but it's full of bad/false information on the first page.

In the end, it's a Wranger. Gas or electric it will be as energy inefficient on the highways as any other Wrangler of similar weight. I get the equivalent 45km with normal driving up to 54km if I really try.

Do you have a Rubicon? They can get a little less range and struggle on the highway a bit more given the gearing and larger tires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do have a rubicon..
ive gotten near 40kms in the city.. Like you said, trying to see how easy i could drive it lmao...

I would never get anywhere near 54k, thats crazy. lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
I do have a rubicon..
ive gotten near 40kms in the city.. Like you said, trying to see how easy i could drive it lmao...

I would never get anywhere near 54k, thats crazy. lol
I figured it out by you mentioning the electric motor having issues on the highway and the range you were seeing. Every time I see that it's either a Rubicon or 35 inch plus tires. :D In empirical units the Rubicon is governed at 97 MPH and all other models at 110 MPH (sorry for all the US units). But the Rubicon fun factor makes up for it!

Getting 54k can be stressful. Now that I have a level 2 EVSE I'm less inclined to hypermile.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts