Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
‘21 4xe Rubicon
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious how folks are managing their e-power when out for a day 4-wheeling. Do you drive to the trail on e-save, then go electric when you hit the trail? Or do you keep it e-save until a rocky technical section, the go electric for better torque control in the technical bits?

I‘m heading out with a group Saturday and will go e-save until the rocky/technical bits, figuring electric on these sections will give me better control. Will switch back to e-save when the going is smoother until the next rocky section, then back to electric. Ifthere’s any left in the e-tank at trail’s end, I’ll use it up by switching to hybrid for the drive home. I’ll also turn off max regen for more braking consistency using the brake pedal (rather than doing an Irish pedal-dance between accel and brakes to slow), and will have the engine recharge when it’s on to extend the electric range (albeit inefficiently).

My wife and I did a 110 mile loop that included about 60 miles of easy off-road. driving in hybrid with max regen, we got 38 miles of electric power, thanks to the downhills shutting off the engine even after we got to 0%. This whole e-power management thing brings another interesting facet to wheeling.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I usually e-save to the trail, of course, but on trail gets tricky. I need to do more experimentation but I think you get better control with the engine in 4low - which is likely why it starts when in hybrid mode and 4low. I feel like the inertia of the spinning engine makes smooth crawling just a tiny bit easier when you are starting and stopping all the time.

I've been lucky and just cruised the trails I've done so far on mostly electric mode, since they've been pretty short. If I knew I'd come up short on battery, hmm... I'd lean towards using electric for stream crossings and fun things, with some eSave thrown in during uphill sections and flat/boring parts.

I haven't personally experienced this, but I have heard that the trans can overheat with lots of stop and go crawling - just a heads up. Using 4low and optionally selecspeed crawl control to keep moving slowly is probably better than stop-and-go for avoiding this, but again - I haven't had an issue so far.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oh yeah, one thing I'm really wondering about - whether 4hi, or lo is more efficient. I wonder if anyone has done a real world test over the same route...

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
137 Posts
Oh yeah, one thing I'm really wondering about - whether 4hi, or lo is more efficient. I wonder if anyone has done a real world test over the same route...
4 low automatically kicks on the gas engine and doesn't allow for electric operation. So I would say 4 low is less efficient.

4 high auto is pretty dang capable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I go wheeling as much as possible.

In the Rubicon you have a 4:1 transfer case. The dam thing is a torque monster and can be difficult to manage in 4 low. Especially with crawl control.

·
Registered
137 Posts
@Greg W

In response to your question my experience is this...

Full charge the night before.
E save to the trail [max regen on]
Electric on the trail [max regen on]
Hybrid on the way home [level ground]

If I have downhills on my way home I may switch back to e save and max regen to build a charge, then back to Hybrid. Pushing all the buttons is beginning to wear on me but nevertheless this is my experience.

Crawling in electric can be a pain in the ass as the transfer to ice can be at inopportune times and rough.

Crawl control for me requires adding brakes to smooth the transition of power from one obstacle to the next.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had to edit and elaborate... wasn't very clear.

You can't do 4 low in electric only. At least my rubicon doesn't allow it.
You should be able to run in 4 low electric mode, I ran almost all of Hells Revenge in 4 low electric mode. You need to leave the transmission in auto D, if you shift to manual gear select mode it will force the ICE on. Low range in electric is quite impressive.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That sucks for me!

I have tried my hardest to use electric in 4 low.

No matter what I try it won't work.

I rarely use manual shift except when in crawl control.

Dam

1 - 14 of 14 Posts