Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I suggest turning max regen off in low traction situations. In 2wd mode I had back end skid in rain enough to convince me of this.
Early Tesla Model S vehicles were RWD only, and aggressive regen in the snow/rain was a bit sketchy. Over the years they refined the system, but the biggest benefit was the dual motor, which could favor where the regen occurred to balance out the handling. That, and better refinement to the internal traction/ESP systems.

IMO, with a seasoned company like FCA/Jeep, and a car that is brake by wire, it should be able to invoke the ESP/traction systems based on what might be occurring, input from steering, regen, etc. But you are right that a sort of “snap oversteer” type experience could occur if there is braking at the rear axle that doesn’t match the front.

It will be interesting to see how the Jeep fares in the winter. I’d assume that in 4WD/Auto mode it’ll do a great job, and the regen should be more evenly distributed such that it should drive like any other Wrangler. But you do need to re-learn your “go pedal” muscles, because you want to be more slow to lift off the accelerator; a quick lift in dry weather is fine, but in the cold wet/snow not so much. As you said, it can cause a skid — how far that skid would go before the systems would take over? Guess we may hear about that soon on these forums!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Even in rain the rear tires would skid. Borderline dangerous. Are there any publications stating to put into 4wd auto when driving in rain or snow even though traction may not be needed to move. Would be interesting to see a break down of how the regen % changes based on 2wd of 4wd/auto etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.