Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to keep the max regenerative mode on between starts?

Every time I start the vehicle, I have to remember to push the button, seems like there would be an option in a menu to keep it on or remember the last setting.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did an experiment on my commute today. I had been commuting with max regen on, and getting to the office with about 45% battery left. Today I commuted without max regen, and got to the office with 60% battery left. Was careful to brake lightly so it used regen and not actual brakes. Have only done this once, but seems like max regen prioritizes power back to the battery so much that it fights itself a little bit.

Where I see max regen being valuable is on long descents just coasting.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did an experiment on my commute today. I had been commuting with max regen on, and getting to the office with about 45% battery left. Today I commuted without max regen, and got to the office with 60% battery left. Was careful to brake lightly so it used regen and not actual brakes. Have only done this once, but seems like max regen prioritizes power back to the battery so much that it fights itself a little bit.

Interesting, can you try a few more days to get some more data points?

I'm not quite used to the max regen driving style. Requires you to come in to stops a little on the "hot" side where I usually like to coast with momentum.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I'm not quite used to the max regen driving style. Requires you to come in to stops a little on the "hot" side where I usually like to coast with momentum.
To coast you can also press the accelerometer (gas pedal) just a bit snd you will see it is still charging the battery and slowing down but not as quickly as letting go of the pedal. It takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Does slight throttle application just lessen the regenerative braking and are the brake lights on?

Once concern I have is getting rear ended but I usually maintain a good 360 awareness. I like to make sure I don't give the person behind me a surprise in heavy traffic.

I haven't heard it called an accelerometer since college!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Does slight throttle application just lessen the regenerative braking and are the brake lights on?

Once concern I have is getting rear ended but I usually maintain a good 360 awareness. I like to make sure I don't give the person behind me a surprise in heavy traffic.

I haven't heard it called an accelerometer since college!
Lol now that it isn’t necessarily gas I figured I’d bring back the term. As far as the brake light, it comes on if you are decelerating using regen at a certain rate. Chris posted a good video illustrating it:

·
Registered
13 Posts

yeah good call. I’ll chart it for the next few days and follow up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah good call. I’ll chart it for the next few days and follow up.

Awesome thanks! I'm really curious, as it seems a bit counterintuitive. I assumed Max Regen did =not= have any negative impact on battery, didn't, you know, introduce anything into forward movement/acceleration that would cause additional battery consumption, and that the only thing it did was generate more power, and slow the car quicker.

FWIW, I really dig on the Max Regen feel, I use it for like 90-95% of my "braking", so it gets used quite a bit, when it's not on, I'm braking like I would an ICE vehicle, which I would think doesn't put much power back into the car[?]

I guess if you're coasting longer on standard regen there's more time to create power, vs. the shorter stopping distance with Max, though the latter should be making more power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think my data is still inconclusive. I was able to plot commutes that were "identical", but max regen on half. I think the first two on max regen I must've had air conditioning without knowing. The rest I made sure it was off, no heat as well. The last two samples of each are coming to within 2% of battery from each other consistently. So I really don't have an answer yet from my experience, I'm really careful on both to make sure braking is really light so it's mainly regenerative.

Still with normal being consistently higher, I suspect that coasting is better than either slowing down or applying power. Sample size way too small...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there any negative to running it on max regen all the time? I also have gotten used to (and really like) the feel of driving in this mode. Seems to save wear/tear on brakes? Would love the fix that keeps max regen on with restart...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Is there any negative to running it on max regen all the time? I also have gotten used to (and really like) the feel of driving in this mode. Seems to save wear/tear on brakes? Would love the fix that keeps max regen on with restart...
I don't think there should be any. It's typically the standard in vehicles with regenerative braking. It should be less wear on the friction brakes. However, normal braking also uses regen too, not sure if it really changes the balance much.

But it's strange that they changed the default to off just before release. The early versions would keep the setting between cycles as well as the manual stating it. I guess we are all test pilots at the moment. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I keep regen on all the time except when driving on the highway as I prefer to coast when letting off the accelerator as opposed to having the vehicle begin braking. When exiting the highway or on a long downhill grade a quick switch on of regen is in order.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Which mode were you in. I feel like it fights itself if in the electric mode. I found Max Regen is great for when the battery is low and you go into Esave or Hybrid. I wouldn't use it in electric mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Which mode were you in. I feel like it fights itself if in the electric mode. I found Max Regen is great for when the battery is low and you go into Esave or Hybrid. I wouldn't use it in electric mode.
Did a longer experiment over a couple weeks to try and keep to a strict daily commute day by day. Max regen ended up winning out in stop and go traffic. It’s a good option, just not on highway with deceleration being too abrupt

·
Registered
307 Posts
I loved the Max over the week end driving serpentines , so easy to drive. first i did not used the max . reg. simple forgot it. but after the push of the button we claimed the mountains. its not the one paddle drive but its cool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve been running with Max Regen on almost daily since I bought my Jeep a few weeks ago. I tried an experiment with my fuel mileage and actually noticed I picked up almost 1.5 mpg by NOT using Max Regen. I can only surmise that it’s because the regen is always slowing the vehicle down every time you let off the throttle to “coast” so you don’t coast as far and you have to reapply the accelerator sooner/more often than you would if you were freewheel coasting. My commute is about 20 miles mostly 45-65 mph two lane roads with some twisty turns and such, no real city traffic except the last mile or so. I was averaging 20mpg dead on it barely would move, I turned off regen and within a day it went up to 21.5.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts