Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Max regen works best in slow moving stop and go or any other situation where you replace heavy or prolonged braking with regen. Secondary roads and hwy driving are best with regen off to allow ‘coasting’. I’m sure hyper-milers will start posting more tips.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
166 Posts
Yep, didn’t turn it on today for a known trip I make every week… battery lasted longer. By like 2 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went from getting 21 miles off a full charge to 29 after the 1200 mile marker. The same route. City traffic and 6 miles hwy commuting. Regen on the entire trip as there are times where it can be stop and go even on the hwy for an instance or two. Really happy with the 4xe besides the CarPlay now is not an option for some reason for the time being. Yes I have done the 32 versions of “how to maybe kinda fix the bug hopefully” with no luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went from getting 21 miles off a full charge to 29 after the 1200 mile marker. The same route. City traffic and 6 miles hwy commuting. Regen on the entire trip as there are times where it can be stop and go even on the hwy for an instance or two. Really happy with the 4xe besides the CarPlay now is not an option for some reason for the time being. Yes I have done the 32 versions of “how to maybe kinda fix the bug hopefully” with no luck.

View attachment 720
Mine has been at 21 miles then at 23 miles lately

Does the battery break in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems to. There is also an “art” to driving in hybrid mode. I do my best to not got over 25% power- or at the very most when needed 50% on the gauge on the right ( subject to your own preferences on what read out you chose on your main read out). You do not have to baby it, but you can not drive it like and F1 and expect to get 25+ miles. I noticed my jump from 24 to 29+ on around the 1200 mile mark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine has been at 21 miles then at 23 miles lately

Does the battery break in?
My last 2 cars were hybrids. As another poster said...there's a method to driving them. Its not not battery breaking in, it's the human! If you drive like you did before, you'll get less gas mileage. I found that I paid a lot of attention to mileage in the beginning and adjusted styles to start maxing mpg. Then it became habit. I did the same for the 4xe and have started to get better mileage, now that I understand it's particular idiosyncrasies. I'm not a hyper-miler (especially by their standards!) I picked up a couple things from reading their forums tho.

I'm finding most things are the same on the 4xe as my last 2 hybrids. Breaking down hills vs coasting. Max regen is always on for my other hybrid, so I always use it. If you do a lot of highway, it won't matter if it's on. Hybrids without plug-in always get worse highway mileage (basically whatever the ICE engines get), so if your commute is 20 miles at 80mph...you won't see much advantage unless you plug in/are fully charged before you leave every day.

You'll save significant gas if you lower your acceleration rate (slowly pull out at stop signs and stop lights). I've read that some people slow for traffic lights as far back as they can so they never actually stop at red. I don't do that, but I am really slow pulling out everywhere unless I need to be.

Also, after you've used gas (ie. to go up a hill or accelerate when merging), lift your foot off the gas then gently replace. This will 'tell' the electric to kick back on.

I live in a hilly area, and my commute is 16 miles, about 10 of which is highway. In hybrid, I'm now consistently using 14 miles electric and 2 miles gas. I took it on a trip a few hundred miles away my 1st week of owning it. I could not charge anywhere, and I hadn't figured out it's best driving methods yet. Even then, my overall mileage was never below 25 mpg. I expect my next trip coming up, I'll be well over that.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
166 Posts
I’m not gonna think about my driving style that much… I just don’t care really. If you guys do, awesome!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts