Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, there! Totally new Jeep owner and almost afraid to post ‘cuz I know nothing other than I absolutely love my new giant adult Lego! I just got my ‘22 Sahara 4xe a few weeks ago and am loving it. I’m hoping to maximize on both efficiency and fun with this car, which is my jam. I love that I can commute all electric for the daily grind, and then just play, otherwise. So, with that in mind, what’re the best tips for balance?! I saw someone posted somewhere about a rando bug deflector actually getting them another mile or two (which when dealing with electric mileage in the 20s, counts)… I’ve also see loss when tires get upgraded (but a little more rugged would be nice)…
All the mods so far have been just basics—all wether mats, grab handles, mirrors … and a hitch. Thoughts on hitch mount for gear vs rack for efficiency?! We have both on our old rav… Anyone else a maximizer and enjoy tinkering with this?! My husband is really enjoying playing with the different modes of driving and thinking through efficiency there (he thinks esave is the way to go highway driving, and I’m not sure he’s wrong about that)!

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
433 Posts
You may gain some efficiency with mods that help make the Jeep more aero, but there is not too much you can do about the "flying brick". Best way to maximize EV range for a given setup is by never using your brakes - meaning let the regen braking do as much of the braking as you possibly can. Using the mechanical brakes in any car uses friction to turn kinetic energy into heat so any time you use your brakes for any reason it reduces the overall efficiency of the car - unless you are using regen to recapture that energy.

Biggest tip for me is ABC - Always Be Charging - that way you can maximize the number of EV miles you drive. Even running errands around town I burn through the battery pretty quickly (although I have a Rubicon with a winch so it's not even close to the most efficient 4xe) so I am always charging every time I get home.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You may gain some efficiency with mods that help make the Jeep more aero, but there is not too much you can do about the "flying brick". Best way to maximize EV range for a given setup is by never using your brakes - meaning let the regen braking do as much of the braking as you possibly can. Using the mechanical brakes in any car uses friction to turn kinetic energy into heat so any time you use your brakes for any reason it reduces the overall efficiency of the car - unless you are using regen to recapture that energy.

Biggest tip for me is ABC - Always Be Charging - that way you can maximize the number of EV miles you drive. Even running errands around town I burn through the battery pretty quickly (although I have a Rubicon with a winch so it's not even close to the most efficient 4xe) so I am always charging every time I get home.
I turned off max regen because it seems to use the same amount if regen just stepping on the brake pedal. Now I don’t have to wonder when my brake lights are activating on the highway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Max regen also prevent you from just coasting, so you are constantly hitting the pedal, I've turned it off, and only put it on if I'm in bumper to bumper.

I've put on Falken MT take offs from a Gladiator, doesn't appear to affect mileage on the Sahara 4xe, maybe more than 33s would affect mileage.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
433 Posts
I turned off max regen because it seems to use the same amount if regen just stepping on the brake pedal. Now I don’t have to wonder when my brake lights are activating on the highway.
When the Jeep uses regen braking (including when Max Regen is turned on and it slows the Jeep when you lift off throttle) the tail lights will illuminate (
). Only real advantage to using Max Regen is you can adjust your driving style to maximize the amount of regen and only use mechanical brakes below about 5-6 MPH. If you can feather the brakes with Max Regen turned off and avoid hard stops it does not make a difference which setting you use theoretically - you get the same amount of regen unless the braking system determines there is wheel slip - it will then engage the mechanical braking system. Just seems easier to leave Max Regen on and you can feel directly how much mechanical braking you are doing if you are trying to maximize regen - but to each their own.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When the Jeep uses regen braking (including when Max Regen is turned on and it slows the Jeep when you lift off throttle) the tail lights will illuminate (
). Only real advantage to using Max Regen is you can adjust your driving style to maximize the amount of regen and only use mechanical brakes below about 5-6 MPH. If you can feather the brakes with Max Regen turned off and avoid hard stops it does not make a difference which setting you use theoretically - you get the same amount of regen unless the braking system determines there is wheel slip - it will then engage the mechanical braking system. Just seems easier to leave Max Regen on and you can feel directly how much mechanical braking you are doing if you are trying to maximize regen - but to each their own.
Yeah I just don’t like not having the ability to control my brake lights. I also can’t mentally get over completely taking my foot off the gas when I just want to coast. In a tesla it took 5 miles of highway driving to adapt to not taking my foot off the gas completely. In the jeep it’s not strong enough regen for me to develop that habit.

I am fully in the “never use mechanical brakes” camp.

I wish there was an actual max regen with throttle off, but then we’d probably be crashing in the rain because of rwd bias.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The best way to maximize fun and efficiency is to
1) Drive it as much as possible
2) Charge whenever you can
3) Make sure the ICE gets used at least a few times a week for sustained periods, not a lot of short start/stop segments
4) Drive it as much as possible

I have a friend who drove his family insane when he got his 4xe trying to maximize fuel efficiency. He’d only drive it if the place he was going was within walking distance of a charging station. He tried to never use the ICE, which of course led to FORM and cascading issues. It’s crucial that you understand this is not a full EV, so that ICE needs to be used. Just open the roof, take off the doors, and drive it!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wish there was a way to charge to 90% so that esave keeps the engine running the entire time.

Sometimes if I’m feeling frisky when the battery has a full charge, I drive in manual mode to warm up the motor. I hate the manual mode lol. Just want to put it in D. I find myself not plugging my jeep in if I get home and it’s over 80%.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
433 Posts
I wish there was a way to charge to 90% so that esave keeps the engine running the entire time.

Sometimes if I’m feeling frisky when the battery has a full charge, I drive in manual mode to warm up the motor. I hate the manual mode lol. Just want to put it in D. I find myself not plugging my jeep in if I get home and it’s over 80%.
eSave does not keep the engine running with charge level over 90%? I am going to have to test that - I just assumed it ran the engine regardless of battery level.

·
Registered
428 Posts
eSave does not keep the engine running with charge level over 90%? I am going to have to test that - I just assumed it ran the engine regardless of battery level.
Not sure if it’s something new, but yeah, mine is exactly 90% cutoff, otherwise I “think” it defaults to hybrid mode. But it definitely does not keep the motor running.

that’s with esave “charge mode”

·
Registered
442 Posts
Once the HV battery is at 95% in E-Save mode it will operate in electric mode at low speeds and low engine loads, it will also turn off the ICE when slowing down or stopping.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
433 Posts
Yeah - tested for myself this morning - 95% battery level is maintained to allow for regen braking (need somewhere for the energy to go) - so starting at 100% in any mode will use the battery down to 95%. In E-Save with Battery Save selected you still cannot avoid Start/Stop, but even at very low speeds the engine was still running for me. Does not mean in other conditions where the HVAC does not need much energy that it won't revert to EV mode at slow speeds - it just did not for me. So as many have said - it's always a Hybrid unless you drive in Manual Mode 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
38 Posts
avoid putting stuff on the roof and other accessories that hang outside, lightest tire wheel combo, drive like you have some loose eggs on the back seat. Can be fun in that it becomes a game trying to squeeze more from it. On the other hand just enjoy and. charge as often as you can.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I remain a huge advocate of using Hybrid mode 'set and forget' and not try to overly manipulate the drivetrain for that very reason.
I hardly ever use hybrid because if I’m around town I want electric only
If I’m out having some fun I want both.

Only time I use hybrid is on the highway, but hybrid mode while driving in manual transmission I feel is best, but I hate using the manual shifter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hybrid mode initially runs all-electric until battery depletion. So if around town (and less than 25 miles), it does exactly the same thing-electric only. However, while in Hybrid mode, the ICE can/does occasionally run briefly. I believe this has kept our 5900 mile 4xe out of FORM, and thus reduced/eliminated other complications. To each their own....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hybrid mode initially runs all-electric until battery depletion. So if around town (and less than 25 miles), it does exactly the same thing-electric only. However, while in Hybrid mode, the ICE can/does occasionally run briefly. I believe this has kept our 5900 mile 4xe out of FORM, and thus reduced/eliminated other complications. To each their own....
12,600 miles on mine, took delivery 11 months ago, and have never entered FORM either. It’s always hybrid mode, unless I’m running a trail where I want to be all electric.

Every friend with a 4xe who switches to electric most of the week was stuck in FORM for weeks all winter. Agree 100% that hybrid mode is the best option, and it helps you learn how to drive and keep the ICE off! Lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
It’s not the same.
Rough guesses coming…..
Hybrid mode allows you 50% of electric motor power before the gas motor fires up
Electric mode allows 80%

hybrid mode is not enough electric hp since if I use it I end up starting the gas engine 1-2 times . In electric mode it’s just right.

I hate starting the gas motor up when not intended. I don’t care what anyone says, it is not good for the engine to fire up based on throttle position unless the engine is warmed up and oil is circulated.

Running high throttle on a cold engine heats up the pistons faster than the block. This leads to the pistons expanding quicker than the cylinder bore. It scratches the cylinder walls and expands the cylinders. I learned this the hard way from owning a civic that ran 25lbs of boost while I was stationed in north dakota.

I‘d bet they loosened up the ring gap on our 2.0t’s for this purpose, and it probably why form is such an issue, because big ring gaps will allow more fuel past the cylinder walls until the motor warms up.

kinda crazy how the 4xe commands the 2.0 to run at high throttle when it’s cold. It’s akin to just starting your car in the morning and within one sec just haul ass out of your driveway, and it’s expected to do it everyday.

What jeep should have done….
Hybrid mode = electric and gas motor running together, like how most hybrids for the last 20 years operate.
Electric mode = electric only no gas intervention even at WOT. Maybe ok to turn on past 75-80mph though.
Esave mode = fine how it is

·
Registered
57 Posts
Blah blah blah...
You say you want to run around town in electric only.
My wife drives to town 2/3 times a day in Hybrid mode. Never runs engine.
Sounds to me like the same thing (as far as performance/economy).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts