Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
It’s not the same.
Rough guesses coming…..
Hybrid mode allows you 50% of electric motor power before the gas motor fires up
Electric mode allows 80%

hybrid mode is not enough electric hp since if I use it I end up starting the gas engine 1-2 times . In electric mode it’s just right.

I hate starting the gas motor up when not intended. I don’t care what anyone says, it is not good for the engine to fire up based on throttle position unless the engine is warmed up and oil is circulated.

Running high throttle on a cold engine heats up the pistons faster than the block. This leads to the pistons expanding quicker than the cylinder bore. It scratches the cylinder walls and expands the cylinders. I learned this the hard way from owning a civic that ran 25lbs of boost while I was stationed in north dakota.

I‘d bet they loosened up the ring gap on our 2.0t’s for this purpose, and it probably why form is such an issue, because big ring gaps will allow more fuel past the cylinder walls until the motor warms up.

kinda crazy how the 4xe commands the 2.0 to run at high throttle when it’s cold. It’s akin to just starting your car in the morning and within one sec just haul ass out of your driveway, and it’s expected to do it everyday.

What jeep should have done….
Hybrid mode = electric and gas motor running together, like how most hybrids for the last 20 years operate.
Electric mode = electric only no gas intervention even at WOT. Maybe ok to turn on past 75-80mph though.
Esave mode = fine how it is
I put it in electric, because sometimes when I'm coming out of the underground garage it will kick on the ICE, if it's electric it will not fire up the ICE, also a little too hard on the pedal will fire up the ICE, but in electric it will not.

Indeed, Electric seems to give a little more power before firing up the ICE.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I put it in electric, because sometimes when I'm coming out of the underground garage it will kick on the ICE, if it's electric it will not fire up the ICE, also a little too hard on the pedal will fire up the ICE, but in electric it will not.

Indeed, Electric seems to give a little more power before firing up the ICE.
THIS!!!

So many people are quick to say "just leave it in the hybrid mode" but in reality that does start the ICE engine in some circumstances.

I can drive "spirited" in electric mode without having the ICE come on, doing the same thing in Hybrid causes the ICE to start up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
THIS!!!

So many people are quick to say "just leave it in the hybrid mode" but in reality that does start the ICE engine in some circumstances.

I can drive "spirited" in electric mode without having the ICE come on, doing the same thing in Hybrid causes the ICE to start up.
Everybody’s driving style is different, because I have the ICE kick in when I’m in electric mode WAY more often than in Hybrid mode. I’ve learned how to perfectly apply the gas pedal in hybrid mode to maximize horsepower and balance electric!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Many owners who have never experienced FORM might not agree. Seems that several FORM 'nightmares' resulted from over-manipulating the drivetrain into behaving like an EV.
I'm fully prepared to accept the 4xe for what it is...more importantly, for what it isn't. Neither do I presume to know more than the team of PHEV engineers who 'engineered' the thing. 1092 miles driven on 15 ga. of fuel is such a leap forward in efficiency from our last Wrangler Unltd (Pentastar V6) that I don't feel compelled to try and squeeze out anything more...even with $5.47/ga. fuel here in NorCal. Whatever....

·
Registered
442 Posts
I prioritize EV like operation on both my 4Xes never had an issue with FORM. But I also monitor it a lot and when I do run the ICE it's on the highway for around 30 minutes, other than last week at the track which was probably 30+ stop start events the e give never has short run times.

Everybody’s driving style is different, because I have the ICE kick in when I’m in electric mode WAY more often than in Hybrid mode. I’ve learned how to perfectly apply the gas pedal in hybrid mode to maximize horsepower and balance electric!
That goes against every other person's observation of how electric vs hybrid works, I guess I'll just go data log and show the amount of throttle effort required to start the ICE in both hybrid and electric mode, because it's going to be less throttle application in hybrid to get the ICE going.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That goes against every other person's observation of how electric vs hybrid works, I guess I'll just go data log and show the amount of throttle effort required to start the ICE in both hybrid and electric mode, because it's going to be less throttle application in hybrid to get the ICE going.
Yes, I know for a fact that the throttle in hybrid engages the ICE in far lower parameter than in electric. What I’m simply saying is that I drive it well within those parameters while in Hybrid mode to keep the engine off. When I switch to electric, which honestly I only do maybe once or twice per month, I drive much more aggressively and see that engagement more often.

No need to go data log. I 100% agree with you on the parameters. I guess I just drive like a 90 year old man compared to others in this thread. Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tend to drive a conservatively when I have battery and really don't want the ICE to needlessly fire up, however if I know I would eventually run out of battery, and the ICE would be required, I go nuts from the get go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Max regen also prevent you from just coasting, so you are constantly hitting the pedal, I've turned it off, and only put it on if I'm in bumper to bumper.

I've put on Falken MT take offs from a Gladiator, doesn't appear to affect mileage on the Sahara 4xe, maybe more than 33s would affect mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Omg. Life got away from me and I’m just coming back to this. Great reads, all. What I’m discovering is to “do one’s best”, and it can be a fun game. We found all the “free” chargers around and one is a block away from our house, and another at our grocery store, so we do enjoy planning around that. I’m totally into the regen brakes situ. It keeps me on my toes for how to drive efficiently and well around town. I’m also all about electric mode when I know I’m doing less than 25 miles for my trip. But I definitely do a trip beyond 25 miles a couple times a week, which it sounds is good to keep things fresh and running smoothly. And then my husband is a fan of e-save on the highway although I’m not completely convinced. We added a hitch for a back bike rack instead of on top. I think we’ll eventually get a rhino rack tho and upgrade the tires to some Falkans. And we went over a couple mountains these past few weeks, and the regent brakes got us 6-7% in the course of ten/15 minutes?! It’s a fun game!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Max regen also prevent you from just coasting, so you are constantly hitting the pedal, I've turned it off, and only put it on if I'm in bumper to bumper.

I've put on Falken MT take offs from a Gladiator, doesn't appear to affect mileage on the Sahara 4xe, maybe more than 33s would affect mileage.
I have falkens at the top of my list, so good to hear.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts