Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I almost didn’t believe my wife when she unplugged the other day and said she smelled something burning. She was right! Anyone have this issue of one pin melting on both the J1772 and the receiver side? Weird thing it still charges properly but I’m afraid to do so of course. Wall charger power still reading accurately. See pictures. 2100 miles. Been great otherwise. Even got 83 mpg on my 2nd tank of gas (lots of trips close to home!) Trying to schedule a visit to dealer for repair.
Automotive tire Auto part Rim Bicycle part Circle

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Light Steering part

Footwear Shoe Grey Fluid Material property

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd blame the charger first.

No one here knows what happened. Only the Jeep service techs or engineers can answer this. But all I do know is after spending $60000 on a rechargeable Jeep I'd certainly spend the extra $100-200 more and buy the Jeep branded charger (if I ever do go to a level 2). At least if it fails I could point to what should be an approved charging device.

Edit: Looks like at least one Amazon buyer of this same charger also had this problem of a melted connector with their Chevy. And plenty of others report issues. Pumping 30A of juice is pretty serious stuff and I just can't imagine buying a no name or generic unit... I'd be more worried about a deadly shock. But that's just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is the charger, I don’t know why Jeep would not simply provide the L2 charger or tell me I have to use their mopar charger. You are right that if you’re buying a 4xe, what’s the $600 really. But Jeep can’t afford giving us both chargers with their markups on these?? Ha! I read someone mentioning the weight of the L2 chargers seem to pull down and adds extra pressure, which I agree with regardless of the brand. When I bought the charger, to me specs are specs. If all the required specs are met, what does the brand of charger matter. But I obviously might be wrong on that. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Jeep EVSE is made by Clipper Creek. I personally wouldn't be comfortable using any EVSE that isn't UL listed.

I know the Clipper Creek is as well as the Grizzl-e. I'm sure there are others that are, I would definitely recommend one that is UL listed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As with anything it seems these days, there’s good product and there’s bad product. There’s quality chargers and then there’s low quality chargers. It’s up to the buyer to figure out what they are buying… it’s not up to Apple to say “don’t buy a cheap bad charger” for their phones and iPads. It’s not up to Jeep to do the same.

@CrabCakes Jeep does include a free level charger which is good enough. They offer a level 2 charger as an extra. You chose not to buy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My other car is a Taycan, which came with a nice level 2 charger and the thought did cross my mind in using it to charge my Jeep, however the Porsche one is rated at 40A and even though you could lower in its settings, I decided not to risk using it on the Jeep so I bought the Jeep branded one ( it is actually quite large and sturdy made by clipper creek ) rated 32A and it works flawlessly.
I am sorry that this happened to you. It does look like a charger fault. I would recommend, after the repair is made, for you to buy the Jeep one ( it takes 3 weeks to arrive )
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My other car is a Taycan, which came with a nice level 2 charger and the thought did cross my mind in using it to charge my Jeep, however the Porsche one is rated at 40A and even though you could lower in its settings, I decided not to risk using it on the Jeep so I bought the Jeep branded one ( it is actually quite large and sturdy made by clipper creek ) rated 32A and it works flawlessly.
I am sorry that this happened to you. It does look like a charger fault. I would recommend, after the repair is made, for you to buy the Jeep one ( it takes 3 weeks to arrive )
Good luck and keep us posted.
You don’t need to change the charger settings to charge the Jeep. The Jeep will pull what it wants (about 32 amps). I’m using a Grizzl-e that’s a 40 amp capable charger and it’s working great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update to everyone: to answer a few questions, the charger I bought is made by Mustart and is UL listed and is approved for SAEJ1772 AC Level 2, so I thought it was fine. Yes the 220 line and N14-50 outlet was installed by a licensed electrician with it’s own breaker off a sub panel powered with a T-1 line. I agree, the charger must be at fault. The dealership said today the repair is $1200, which of course not covered. I totally get that and will be ordering the Jeep approved charger to replace it so next time (hope not) they pay for this. I’m trying to reach out to Mustart for some ownership of this problem, but that’s highly doubtful. My only issue is why wouldn’t Jeep just provide both charger options or be very clear I have to use theirs? Are they saying I can’t ever use a charging station at a hotel, gas station, parking deck, etc. if it’s not a Jeep/Chrysler branded charger?? That’s why the standards exist so you can use charging stations. Yes/no?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi CrabCakes. Yes you can use any other public, free or for pay chargers and any other branded Level 2 charger as well.
You do not have to buy the Jeep branded one. Long history but I was one of the unlucky ones when I go my Jeep. I ordered in March, got in July and had it w me for only 16 hours till 2 lights came on, engine and brakes, fast forward, the car was at the dealer for 3 months...so out of an abundance of caution, I decided to go and get their charger. Anyways as to why the car does not come w level 2, fyi most of them do not come w level 2, Porsche been an exception when they introduced the Taycan they "gave" the charger. One thing I do agree is that Jeep should at least offer when one gets the 4e as an option, even if it costs more. Ouch on your $1,200 repair that was not of your wrong doing...thnx for the updates.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Update to everyone: to answer a few questions, the charger I bought is made by Mustart and is UL listed and is approved for SAEJ1772 AC Level 2, so I thought it was fine. Yes the 220 line and N14-50 outlet was installed by a licensed electrician with it’s own breaker off a sub panel powered with a T-1 line. I agree, the charger must be at fault. The dealership said today the repair is $1200, which of course not covered. I totally get that and will be ordering the Jeep approved charger to replace it so next time (hope not) they pay for this. I’m trying to reach out to Mustart for some ownership of this problem, but that’s highly doubtful. My only issue is why wouldn’t Jeep just provide both charger options or be very clear I have to use theirs? Are they saying I can’t ever use a charging station at a hotel, gas station, parking deck, etc. if it’s not a Jeep/Chrysler branded charger?? That’s why the standards exist so you can use charging stations. Yes/no?
I would get an attorney to go after Mustart. Manufacturing defect or design flaw. If it is designated to meet SAE J1772, It should work with the Jeep.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Listen not worth the fight for now, you first option to ask Jeep to fix your chartering port( it is not easy fix heard sorry). Second, if they refuse obtain a quote and go after this stupid charger. Either way they should reimburse your charger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: No surprise but the part has still not arrived for a repair. The company, Mustart, of the L2 charger may still cover costs of repair and wants their charger back for testing. The interesting update is from Mopar. Went to the site to buy the official L2 Jeep branded charger and you can put a VIN in to confirm the part fits. It errors out despite being the only possible Jeep that plugs in right now - right?? So I write to them and Mopar says they are still testing and won’t know until February if the L2 charger can be used on the 4xe! What?!? Why is it being sold and why did no one at the dealership or Jeep Wave tell me I can’t use their L2 charger? Is that true for any L2 charging station? I’m not sure if I would have bought it had I known this. I even talked to my sales guy during my ordering about my excitement since I redid my garage and installed a 220v line. By the way, don’t be surprised when no one at Jeep or your dealership understand what a 220/240v outlet means as they read the tech sheet back to you. I tried to help teach the Jeep Wave Care guy how that works and the confusion of what people call a 220v outlet actually having 240v reading when you test with a voltmeter. Anyway, hope the next update is a repair so I can start using the battery of my 4xe, otherwise I should have just bought a Rubicon. Definitely would not recommend anyone buying the 4xe if you want more than the 110 trickle charge option.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Update: No surprise but the part has still not arrived for a repair. The company, Mustart, of the L2 charger may still cover costs of repair and wants their charger back for testing. The interesting update is from Mopar. Went to the site to buy the official L2 Jeep branded charger and you can put a VIN in to confirm the part fits. It errors out despite being the only possible Jeep that plugs in right now - right?? So I write to them and Mopar says they are still testing and won’t know until February if the L2 charger can be used on the 4xe! What?!? Why is it being sold and why did no one at the dealership or Jeep Wave tell me I can’t use their L2 charger? Is that true for any L2 charging station? I’m not sure if I would have bought it had I known this. I even talked to my sales guy during my ordering about my excitement since I redid my garage and installed a 220v line. By the way, don’t be surprised when no one at Jeep or your dealership understand what a 220/240v outlet means as they read the tech sheet back to you. I tried to help teach the Jeep Wave Care guy how that works and the confusion of what people call a 220v outlet actually having 240v reading when you test with a voltmeter. Anyway, hope the next update is a repair so I can start using the battery of my 4xe, otherwise I should have just bought a Rubicon. Definitely would not recommend anyone buying the 4xe if you want more than the 110 trickle charge option.
I'm content with the 110 charger, especially, in light of the fact that most battery failures are from fast chargers. I don't have a commute, though, so ad long as it charges overnight, I'm good.

I did notice that the "free" solar powered Jeep chargers aren't popping up everywhere as promised, but I'm still glad I got the 4xe. With the tax credit, it's the cheapest way to get a Rubicon and it has more power than the diesel I was considering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts