Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else been told that they need to charge on Mopar level 2 chargers only?

our 4xe blew the IDCM twice. The first time on a 32 A juicebox pro, the second time on a replacement juicebox pro (b/c the other one blew with the first incident).
So since jeep doesn’t want to cover another IDCM they said if we charge on a non-Mopar charger it will void the warranty.
Does this come as a surprise to any of you?

· Registered
3,742 Posts
yes. Jeep, and our jeep service personnel acknowledged that and still claim that it’ll void our warranty
It wouldn't surprise me to hear a jeep service person claim that. It wouldn't surprise me to hear a jeep service person claim jeep said that. I wouldn't expect someone from Jeep to actually claim that. That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen as there would be no legal standing on a magnuson-moss warranty act claim there.

To more directly answer your question, the only legitimate claims on evses against warranty issues I have seen are in situations where a non-UL listed/non-J1772 standard compliant evse was used.

I would ask the jeep service personnel how they're going to justify that one is required to use the mopar evse when it is never specified as a requirement in the owner's manual and the owner's manual specifically discusses using public charging stations, which are definitely not the mopar branded home charger.

· Registered
41 Posts
Bollocks, Jeep. The whole point of having a J1772 system in the Jeep is so that it can be charged by any J1772 EVSE. That's why the automotive standards body, the SAE, created the J1772 standard. For interoperability between different OEMs and EVSE makers.

BTW I had the same IDCM issue and run-around, but I was persistent and it's fixed, for now.

· Registered
2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
2 Posts
Has anyone else been told that they need to charge on Mopar level 2 chargers only?

our 4xe blew the IDCM twice. The first time on a 32 A juicebox pro, the second time on a replacement juicebox pro (b/c the other one blew with the first incident).
So since jeep doesn’t want to cover another IDCM they said if we charge on a non-Mopar charger it will void the warranty.

Electrical wiring Gas Electricity Font Rectangle

Audio equipment Gadget Output device Material property Gas

Gas Hand dryer Rectangle Font Magenta

Mines been working great! 0-100% in ~2 hours.

· Registered
4 Posts
I experienced a "Service Charging System" msg on a Grizzl e Smart charge after 500 miles. Took it to the dealer and diagnosed as a faulty charge, the dealer reset with a warning that "non-OEM" Level 2 chargers will void your warranty as an unauthorized modification. I replied that the owners manual lays out how to charge a public charging stations and they are certainly non-OEM. So if I use a public charging station, I void my warranty!?!? The reply was well no, you can use a public station, but run the risk or another code lock out. Really. Sounds like a software issue to me.

· Registered
250 Posts
I experienced a "Service Charging System" msg on a Grizzl e Smart charge after 500 miles. Took it to the dealer and diagnosed as a faulty charge, the dealer reset with a warning that "non-OEM" Level 2 chargers will void your warranty as an unauthorized modification. I replied that the owners manual lays out how to charge a public charging stations and they are certainly non-OEM. So if I use a public charging station, I void my warranty!?!? The reply was well no, you can use a public station, but run the risk or another code lock out. Really. Sounds like a software issue to me.
EVSEs do basically nothing but supply 240v to the vehicle. There's not a whole lot that can go wrong on the EVSE side and a lot that can go wrong on the vehicle AC to DC converter side. Jeep should not have programmed this to be a latching fault that requires dealer intervention to fix if it was simply an error detected in the EVSE.

· Registered
2 Posts
I think this is hilarious that Jeep service people are trying to wiggle their way out of servicing these vehicles. My wife and I purchased two JGC4XE in the last week of December and both have had the charging error. Mine had the error while still in the dealer's possession so that means their charger was the one that tripped the lockout. My wife's car experience the error from our tesla charger with adapter because the amperage was still set at 80amps from my model S. Jeep service tech told us the same thing that our warranty would be voided if we did not purchase the Mopar branded charger. I didn't argue, I simply asked her to include it to the service note on my printout which she did. Should this be a litigation issue, I will have all of my documented issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts