Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow 4xe'ers...I'm about a week into my new White High Altitude ("Trooper" as in Storm Trooper) which I really do love for the most part. I'm not a brand snob but do like nicer quality materials and features so I have bought mostly luxury brand vehicles (MB, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Lexus) hence the HA trim. BMW X7 is the other vehicle in the garage so I consider it my poor man's G Wagen.

I understand this is not a completely fair comparison, nor I expect it to be except for the fact that the MSRP is basically the same price as the Audi SQ5 I just came out of. That being said, here are the 3 things I (really dislike) about my new 4xe:

1. AC Compressor Noise - holy crap is this loud! I still don't quite understand why it has to be either. The start up is supposed to be quiet, yet the noise fills up my garage like a Hemi (ok, a little exaggerated). Its just more of an annoyance when you're excited about having this hybrid vehicle that could run all electric and this turbine-like noise gradually gets louder like something is on its way to blow up!

Has anyone discovered a silencer?? :)

2. Turn signal stalk - I understand this is FCA which is known for cheap parts, but seriously? This thing feels hollow and I always feel like I could break it. I get the click sound of a more utilitarian vehicle, but how about spending the extra $1 on manufacturing the part so it doesn't feel like I'm driving a $15K vehicle.

Am I being over critical on this one?

3. Rear view camera - Its actually pretty decent during the day even though I can see some of the graininess when I look at cars in the distance. I know its a little nit picky but, my benchmark is luxury vehicles and HD cameras just are not expensive and every brand has them. It's far from a deal breaker, but at night its a different story. I probably should take a picture and post so everyone can see, but I can barely see anything.

Is that what others are experiencing?

I don't want to be come off as just a "Debbie Downer" so I will point out a few of things I do love:
  • Nappa leather seat insert and steering wheel - its not everywhere, but feels great on the butt and the hands. The copper stitching on the seat and dash also gives it a luxury vibe that makes you feel good driving it. Looks super nice against the black.
  • One touch sky roof - I love the open look of the Wrangler, but having to take off the roof in pieces by myself and storing in a 2 car garage just didn't seem practical. Its also too much commitment. I live in the Dallas, TX area and what might seem like a good idea may turn out to be way too hot for extended driving. Also, being able to close it when I park keeps the inside cool and more secure. And the pop up rain storm...
  • Comfortable seats - picked this up in Louisiana and drove it back home 5.5 hours. Talk about a great way to break it in! No back pain, no fidgeting, great support...just a comfortable ride home.
  • Sound system - this thing thumps! I'm mid 40's, but still love jamming my music. The Alpine system is incredible and just sounds great with all kind of music.
  • AC - I do live in Texas so super important...its been super cold so definitely a thumbs up!
  • Electric only mode - I only got the 4xe to take advantage of the tax credit, but its actually been cool to see if I can drive full electric. I haven't used gas since my drive from the dealership...hey, I'll take the gas savings!
Overall, I really do love it and driving it is super fun. I haven't even been off road yet and already starting to understand the fandom.

Glad my kids talked me into it!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I usually keep the AC off when I'm in the garage. It does seem to start loud and then settles. I sometimes use the remote start and after a few minutes it's hard to tell it's on.

My annoyance is only the front windows are one touch and only for going down.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I usually keep the AC off when I'm in the garage. It does seem to start loud and then settles. I sometimes use the remote start and after a few minutes it's hard to tell it's on.

do you have your doors on? in summer ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Another little nuisance that is such an easy fix! Is there a point to not making them one touch?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
back to topic..you not like the seat hight ?
Seat height? Not sure what you're asking exactly, but the seat height is great. Sits a little taller than most similar sized crossovers. Back seats are a little higher because of the battery which I also like because I have younger kids. Is that what you're wondering about?

·
Registered
10 Posts
100% on board with you on the AC Compressor noise. My driveway is in front of my desk where I work from home and every time I remote start the car it literally sounds like a 747 taking off. Not sure why they didn't put in a quieter compressor, on my old BMW PHEV 3-series it was considerably quieter at full blast.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here are my 3 gripes:

1). Paint around the hinges. I can see the primer if I look close where the door and hinge meet, especially on the tail gate. Nobody will notice but me and it makes me wonder if I have a future littered with corrosion issues as this is common on the JL's.

2). Rubicon wheels - wish there was a black out option

3). Water channelling - opening the door in the rain leads to a waterfall streaming into the jeep.

as for your list, yes "Turn signal stalk" commentary is petty :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are my 3 gripes:

1). Paint around the hinges. I can see the primer if I look close where the door and hinge meet, especially on the tail gate. Nobody will notice but me and it makes me wonder if I have a future littered with corrosion issues as this is common on the JL's.

2). Rubicon wheels - wish there was a black out option

3). Water channelling - opening the door in the rain leads to a waterfall streaming into the jeep.

as for your list, yes "Turn signal stalk" commentary is petty :)
Water channeling...haven't experienced that, but now I'm prepared next time it rains! I'll have to check the paint closer, but I haven't noticed that.

And yes, I know my stalk comment is petty...I just started noticing the little things when I started driving nicer vehicles. Still wouldn't keep me from buying another Jeep though!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The water channeling is not specific to the 4xe, or even the hardtop. It’s the same on all roofs of the JL line since 2018. Can’t speak for the JK

·
Registered
13 Posts
The water channeling is not specific to the 4xe, or even the hardtop. It’s the same on all roofs of the JL line since 2018. Can’t speak for the JK
This is my fourth Wrangler, starting with a 2000 TJ, all with soft tops, and all of them do the waterfall thing (hint: park on angle surface so water runs out on passenger 😂). Personally, I don't consider my baby broken in until I get caught in an unexpected rainstorm with the top down... So a bit of water doesn't bother me, but I can understand why this could be an issue for some.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My only complaint so far is the size of the key fob. There are a couple of after market solutions Threedom and AJT Designs. Does anyone have any experience with either?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts