Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bit of back story to start off. I am a long time Jeep fanatic and have been driving Jeeps for decades.

This is my fourth Jeep and my first Rubicon which has always been my dream Jeep. I wanted to trust in this new hybrid tech since I believe it’s the future of vehicles and I was assured by my dealer that FCA had everything ironed out since it’s been used in the Pacifica for a couple years now.

I don’t drive much these days, but my family climbed into our 4XE for its first road trip, a 2.5hr drive to the cabin and the thing bricked itself after I parked it for the night and refused to even try to start. (It has 700km on the odometer). Warning lights for check engine and Hybrid charging error came up.

I had it towed to my home via CAA since Jeep’s warranty would only tow it 35km, and it didn’t make sense to leave it at a dealership 2 hours away from my house. (I then had it towed to a local dealership).

I had to wait a couple days for the dealership’s hybrid tech guy to have a look and he couldn’t resolve the issue. I was told it’s either my wiring harness or the full hybrid battery system that needs replacing. Apparently the tech was going to get in touch with “Jeep Engineers” to help identify the problem. That was 2 days ago. Still no word.

When I did have the tech on the phone, I asked about the availability of replacement parts and was told getting them could take some time due to their need to cross boarders and covid.

My hope was that at the very least FCA would provide me with a rental or loaner vehicle so I can get my family around while this is being resolved but they say I’m out of luck since I didn’t purchase the extended service package?! You’d think they’d stand by their product, but apparently thinking that you won’t need to tow your vehicle due to mechanical/electrical failure at 700kms isn’t reasonable?!

The feeling of abandonment from FCA is tough to take.

My 4XE was my first “new off the lot” purchase and it is completely shattering my faith in Jeep. This problem appears to be common. It seems like 4XE technology makes vehicles that Don’t “Go Anywhere” and Don’t “Do Anything” besides sit in service centres for extended periods of time.

I miss my Sahara pentastar V6. I never had problems with it... the 4XE is a completely different story

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can understand how you feel, I would be losing it if I were in your shoes. I will say that FCA has responded appropriately when I have escalated. You can find their executive team online and email them. I did this once in a Saturday night and got a call Monday morning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. I believe one other member has mentioned they too had to have their harness replaced. I do have a "stupid" question, did you check your fuses when you first got your Jeep? There is another thread on here where a bunch of people are noting that they have unseated fuses, and seating them has fixed the issue. When I picked mine up, a handful of mine were not seated properly.

Hope it is a simple fix and you get back to enjoying your Jeep again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can understand how you feel, I would be losing it if I were in your shoes. I will say that FCA has responded appropriately when I have escalated. You can find their executive team online and email them. I did this once in a Saturday night and got a call Monday morning.
I will try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear of your problem. I believe one other member has mentioned they too had to have their harness replaced. I do have a "stupid" question, did you check your fuses when you first got your Jeep? There is another thread on here where a bunch of people are noting that they have unseated fuses, and seating them has fixed the issue. When I picked mine up, a handful of mine were not seated properly.

Hope it is a simple fix and you get back to enjoying your Jeep again.
Thanks for the reply. I tried several of these types of things people were describing online when it was bricked at the cabin. There were actually several fuses unseated. It unfortunately didn’t solve things.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A little bit of back story to start off. I am a long time Jeep fanatic and have been driving Jeeps for decades.

This is my fourth Jeep and my first Rubicon which has always been my dream Jeep. I wanted to trust in this new hybrid tech since I believe it’s the future of vehicles and I was assured by my dealer that FCA had everything ironed out since it’s been used in the Pacifica for a couple years now.

I don’t drive much these days, but my family climbed into our 4XE for its first road trip, a 2.5hr drive to the cabin and the thing bricked itself after I parked it for the night and refused to even try to start. (It has 700km on the odometer). Warning lights for check engine and Hybrid charging error came up.

I had it towed to my home via CAA since Jeep’s warranty would only tow it 35km, and it didn’t make sense to leave it at a dealership 2 hours away from my house. (I then had it towed to a local dealership).

I had to wait a couple days for the dealership’s hybrid tech guy to have a look and he couldn’t resolve the issue. I was told it’s either my wiring harness or the full hybrid battery system that needs replacing. Apparently the tech was going to get in touch with “Jeep Engineers” to help identify the problem. That was 2 days ago. Still no word.

When I did have the tech on the phone, I asked about the availability of replacement parts and was told getting them could take some time due to their need to cross boarders and covid.

My hope was that at the very least FCA would provide me with a rental or loaner vehicle so I can get my family around while this is being resolved but they say I’m out of luck since I didn’t purchase the extended service package?! You’d think they’d stand by their product, but apparently thinking that you won’t need to tow your vehicle due to mechanical/electrical failure at 700kms isn’t reasonable?!

My 4XE was my first “new off the lot” purchase and it is completely shattering my faith in Jeep. This problem appears to be common. It seems like 4XE technology makes vehicles that Don’t “Go Anywhere” and Don’t “Do Anything” besides sit in service centres for extended periods of time.

I miss my Sahara pentastar V6. I never had problems with it... the 4XE is a completely different story
Not only were they limiting the tow to 35 miles, but they fleeced me for another $500 just to go onto the dirt road and fine the damned thing. This was from Jeep Roadside Non Assistance too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried several of these types of things people were describing online when it was bricked at the cabin. There were actually several fuses unseated. It unfortunately didn’t solve things.
I may have stumbled on fixing the unfixible by clicking in three large fuses. Suddenly it started working in all modes. First time since I bought it. Was at dealer for first 9 days and is back again because AM FM radio doesn’t work. What’s next?!?!

·
Registered
34 Posts

Check the fuses for loose ones. Click them back in and it may fix it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check the fuses for loose ones. Click them back in and it may fix it.
I tried that out in the woods and several were unseated but that didn’t get me going again.
Mine ended up being a slice in the main hybrid battery harness (likely caused during installation at the factory from what I’m told). The part is on backorder and will arrive in 45days. I’m on day 30 now. Hopefully it’s all smooth sailing after this 🤞

·
Registered
34 Posts
They pronounced it fixed after 10 days so I picked it up , drove 130 miles home , whereby it promptly quit again. Back came the tow truck the next day but first I checked fuses. Three large ones were not firmly seated so I pressed them down until they clicked. At that point it began to run and charge and so on like I had fixed it. It’s now been 6 weeks. I haven’t used a gallon of gas as all driving has been local. It’s quiet. Powerful. Getting 30 mpge and feeling better about this Jeep. Oh yeah the radio didn’t work when I got it back but it’s fixed. I recommend getting a small 9”-12” antenna because the car wash wraps up that long one and whips it against the windshield pillar. And there’s almost no storage space so forget about that. But it’s as smooth as butter on the road. No trails yet but that’s coming soon. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
@Azphoto this is great news. I find it quite fascinating that something so simple as seating the fuses is the root cause of an issue like yours. Jeep really needs to fire the guy responsible for inspecting the fuses....lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Still wondering why @JeepCares has not gotten back to the factory about correcting poorly seated fuses and relays. Seems like many of us have fixed electrical gremlins after doing this. It would be a simple way to get ahead of a lot of ill will and loss of confidence in the vehicle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
@Hybrid3.0 i tend to agree. I know this has been an issue since the JL was released but I don’t understand why it hasn’t been corrected, especially given some of the issues some have had with the 4xe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts