Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking for advice. I ordered a Sahara with the 3.6 a couple of months ago, no where close to being built due to production delays. The dealer offered me a High Altitude 4XE that is currently in transit for only a couple of grand more. My problem is this, I currently live in a building with no EV charging, requested from the property manager if I could install a plug (120v, 240v preferred) at my parking stall, still awaiting a reply, not too optimistic.

Currently I am working from home but going to office 2 days a week and will increase to 3, where I do have free charging. My commute is around 11 miles one way, mix of highway and city. Also, I live near a few public locations that offer charging (within a 4 miles).

Now I am not considering the vehicle for the mpg’s but for the power and technology.

So my question to you all, is it worth switching my order to the 4xe when I will not be able to charge it every night?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi All,

Looking for advice. I ordered a Sahara with the 3.6 a couple of months ago, no where close to being built due to production delays. The dealer offered me a High Altitude 4XE that is currently in transit for only a couple of grand more. My problem is this, I currently live in a building with no EV charging, requested from the property manager if I could install a plug (120v, 240v preferred) at my parking stall, still awaiting a reply, not too optimistic.

Currently I am working from home but going to office 2 days a week and will increase to 3, where I do have free charging. My commute is around 11 miles one way, mix of highway and city. Also, I live near a few public locations that offer charging (within a 4 miles).

Now I am not considering the vehicle for the mpg’s but for the power and technology.

So my question to you all, is it worth switching my order to the 4xe when I will not be able to charge it every night?
If you’re considering for Power and Tech then the 4xe is definitely the way to go between the two; the MPG increase will be a nice side effect. Not being able to charge everyday isn’t a huge deal unless you only want to drive exclusively in electric mode. But if you can charge at work for free three times a week then it’s a good option. I have also found that level 2 charging at a lot of places around me is free. Not sure if it’s the same where you are but it may be. Best part is if you cant get a charge you still have the ending and the car maintains ~15% of the battery and will still be a hybrid when it says you have no charge left. Also when you are out of charge you can switch your Jeep to eSave mode and set it to back charge in with max regen and charge your battery on your commute.

outside of just MPG, Power, and Tech… other things to consider will be what you plan on doing with it because there are some significant difference between a 4xe and the other models.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep 4xe Rubicon
25 Posts
The 4xe is a much better purchase as the options are yours to use. The power vs. 2.0T or 3.6 is significant.
The 6.4 is another conversation as the pure all out power winner. The smooth power roll on is amazing.

The electrification is a game changer. With your 11 mile commute you can charge completely and go to and back on a single charge. If you want you can top off at work. You can get over 30 mpg at 50% battery and 50% gas.

You may and should get a $7500 tax credit. Your State may have credits also. These are big savings.

The 4xe is a blast. Learning how to take advantage of the electric motor is fun. The electric parts and the battery have a 10 year warranty. I believe 100,000 miles also whichever is reached first.

Just a few considerations...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you all, the advice is great!
i didn’t know the powertrain retains 15% power to run in hybrid. Makes my decision a lot easier. I also plan to use the max reg braking, drove an BMW i3 with it and loved using it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's the nature of lithium batteries. They recharge to the 15% range much easier than at any other level. It's the opposite of why they take much longer for the top end of the charge.

You still get plenty of low speed electric driving even in this state.

In pure hybrid mode, the 4xe is not efficient, but does produce good power. Closest wrangler would be on the 392.

If you could plug in every day you would probably get 1000 miles per tank!

Press the property manager. They likely would have tax breaks. I'd probably move too, lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All, thought I’d give you an update.

Went to the dealer today, finally drove a 4xe Rubicon. And needless to say, I pulled the trigger on it. Instead of waiting for the High Altitude to come in, I got the Black Rubicon that was on the lot.

Thanks Again all for the advice, it really helped me decide!
Now just can’t wait to pick it up on Friday!

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 4xe is more powerful, more economic on fuel and brakes to operate, and cheaper after tax credits. The gas models have more compatibility (for now) with aftermarket accessories.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I would provide an update…
….Picked up my Rubicon on Saturday, and loving it!! So happy I switched to the 4XE, thank you to everyone on the advice which help me pull the trigger! Already over 150 miles and still have 3/4 tank of gas!!! (Yes it is dirty, pre-pick up pic, it was cleaned before I picked it up, was too excited to get in and drive, didn’t snap and pics then)

9E7F80E9-CF43-4C1E-9423-8B149CCB6A6F.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts