Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I've owned four Jeep's over the years with my last ones being JK's. Two 2 door Sports and one AEV built unlimited Rubicon. Loved them all, but mostly the two doors. Sadly, cannot have one due to family vehicle room needs. I liked the Uimited but I hated the MPG's. Felt wasteful burning so much gas with the big 35's when my little Sports always did everything I asked of them. I have always thought of myself as a Jeep guy and miss them when I don't have one.

The 4xe came out and I was intrigued. I just got rid of a 2019 Ford Ranger lemon and am maybe a bit gunshy with testing new tech.

I have a company car so the commute, though short, is not an issue. Right now I am borrowing my father-in-Laws 2006 F150 and to be honest, I hate it. It's sucks to drive, it's sucks to put gas in and it sucks to park. But it is free to use and I do appreciate him for that

Most of my driving is around town with the occasion few hour trip to the coast or Central Oregon. I like exploring dirt roads and mild off-roading usually alone, so I don't get crazy. We do overnight road trips once every couple of years and this vehicle would be what we use for that.

I have a lot of charge stations in the city where I live (Hillsboro, OR) but do not have a level 2 in my home. However, the Jeep typically will sit most of the time except after work and on weekends.

The dealers around me have a small amount of 4xe's with them mostly being well spec'd out Sahara's in inventory-Around $58-$60k. The dealers I have been working with permit using the state and federal rebates toward the lease reduction so payment wise I am looking at right around $500/mo. Less than the Ranger XLT I just got out of for sure.

The green guy in me wants to be an early adopter to help further this technology. The frugal guy in me likes the lower-ish payment (for what you are getting) and the hooligan likes the 470lb-ft of torque. The worrier in me doesn't like to see low mpg reports or hearing of the dead-in-the-road stories. Being a lease I am not too worried about issues but it does concern me a little. It will be under warranty the whole time and in the end I can walk away if it is plagued with issues.

What does the forum think of my use case? Does it fit the 4xe?

Oh! Almost forgot, I told my local dealer to put my name on a granite gray loaded Sahara since they are selling so damn fast. I'm going to go down tomorrow and see if I can get any break at all on the price. Most are charging above MsRP which I refuse to pay.

Thank you!
Dave

·
Registered
41 Posts
I too am very nervous to buy one as this will be my first Jeep but I figured if I hated it the resell value is so good I can always sell it to Carvana. I ordered mine a week ago the $58k MSRP no discount North San Diego

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too am very nervous to buy one as this will be my first Jeep but I figured if I hated it the resell value is so good I can always sell it to Carvana. I ordered mine a week ago the $58k MSRP no discount North San Diego
Kinda what I am thinking. I'm leasing mine. My hope is that after 3 years technology and options will be much greater. I have a feeling the price of gas is not going to go down at all.

·
Registered
25 Posts
3-Year lease is working for me. $7,500 tax credit with 1-pay got me all-in a broker discounted $57k Sahara for $13k - subsidized by $6k equity from CarMax who bought my leased 2019 Tacoma.

The bricking issues are concerning but the percentages are likely skewed here. Seat the fuses and gas cap. Getting level 2 in my garage this week. Only at 300 miles but exceeding expectations so far!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3-Year lease is working for me. $7,500 tax credit with 1-pay got me all-in a broker discounted $57k Sahara for $13k - subsidized by $6k equity from CarMax who bought my leased 2019 Tacoma.

The bricking issues are concerning but the percentages are likely skewed here. Seat the fuses and gas cap. Getting level 2 in my garage this week. Only at 300 miles but exceeding expectations so far!

View attachment 1145
Nice looking Wrangler. That is the same color I am getting but with the color matched top. TBH, I think I prefer the black top but other than ordering one there are none left around here. I am too impatient to wait on an order for a leased vehicle that I will be returning at the end. 😂

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice looking Wrangler. That is the same color I am getting but with the color matched top. TBH, I think I prefer the black top but other than ordering one there are none left around here. I am too impatient to wait on an order for a leased vehicle that I will be returning at the end. 😂
The black top is less expensive, more durable and makes a nice subtle contrast with granite crystal metallic, IMHO. I did a factory order and it came in under a month.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You actually sound like the perfect 4XE owner.
I just took a 4,596 mile road trip and averaged 21.2MPG for the trip. I was charging at night but that was it. Right now, the MPG calculator on my 4XE is sitting at 37mpg. It works the electric miles in to that calculation so it’s not really MPG alone but it can give you an idea of what’s possible. Before my road trip, I was at 43MPG on that screen. I had one fill up that I averaged 83MPG. That was a lot of electric miles, mind you, but I think you get the idea.

Since you live in Oregon, you have the added bonus of a lot of hydro in your power mix. That makes your Wrangler 4XE way cleaner than areas with more carbon based power generation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good points there. I did notice the MPG rating is a bit of a cheat, but I get the reason why. If electricity was free it would make more sense.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some people refer to that screen as MPGe but that’s incorrect. MPGe is an efficiency rating applied to electrified vehicles and isn’t a combined MPG rating. Someone in the Wrangler 4XE Fans groups on Facebook called in Miles Per Gallonwatt. It’s about as good a term as can be applied to a calculator that attempts to blend both electric and hybrid miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Dave,

I purchased my 4xE from NW Jeep on Canyon road in June. I have had 0 issues with my 4xE granite Sahara. I just had the Clipper Creek branded Jeep level 2 charger installed and it works great. The cable gets kinda hot which makes me nervous however.

I have taken it out to the beach twice during our crazy hot weekend we just had (Cannon Beach and Lincoln City). This is my first time owning a Jeep and the only thing I dislike is the amount of over-steer at highway speeds. This thing had plenty of power when those mountain passing lanes came up on 26 out to the coast. My next project is to install some sort of ceiling harness/pulley system in my garage so I can take the hard top off.

Anyway, greetings from Bull Mountain!

Dave

Edit: Wanted to add I paid full price. 58k minus the 10k in tax credits. So my 3 year lease price was 48k @12k miles a year. MSRP was around 56k and they marked it up to 58k. Extra equipment is the heavy duty towing package and the safety group.

·
Registered
11 Posts

View attachment 1145
How much did you pay to have a level 2 installed at home? do you mind breaking down the price for me? thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
@AleM - I purchased the Jeep branded Mopar (Clipper Creek) off of Amazon for $650. The electrician cost me $725 for install, permit, and the 50amp breaker. I got the plug in version.
$1375 total.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How much did you pay to have a level 2 installed at home? do you mind breaking down the price for me? thanks!
$460 for 240V 50amp outlet installed (existing electrical panel and ~12ft run) and $260 for a portable L2 32amp charger from Amazon on Prime day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts