Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 4xe and I have about 2000 miles on it and everything was great up until this mornings commute. I was driving on the hyw in all electric mode going about 60mph when all of a sudden the gauge cluster lit up like a christmas tree and the jeep lost all motor power (electric and gas). I pulled off to the side of the road. I got a message about the hybrid system needing to be serviced along with a red wrench and CEL. I was able to turn the jeep all the way off and get it into park. I tried to restart the jeep but no luck. I tried two more times and on the last attempt the jeep started back up and I was able to get to work although I was unable to use electric at all. So when I got home I got my obd II scanner out and I pulled the following code (P0CA6) but the scanner had no idea what the code was and so I searched google and couldn't find anything there either. I was reading about some other owners of jeep having issues with the fuse box having loose fuses so I went ahead and checked that out and sure enough multiple of my fuses were loose or almost out of place. So I tightened all of them down and checked to see if the CEL was still there and sure enough it was. At this point I was able to charge the jeeps battery up to 100% so I plan on taking it for a drive to see if the code clears or if any other issues arise. I attempted to get in contact with my service dep but had no luck as no one answered the phone so perhaps I will just drive down and try to speak to someone in person. What are your thoughts on this issue? seems like lots of new 4xe are having similar issues. I will post updates on this post as soon as I find the fix with the local service dep.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
90 Posts
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 4xe and I have about 2000 miles on it and everything was great up until this mornings commute. I was driving on the hyw in all electric mode going about 60mph when all of a sudden the gauge cluster lit up like a christmas tree and the jeep lost all motor power (electric and gas). I pulled off to the side of the road. I got a message about the hybrid system needing to be serviced along with a red wrench and CEL. I was able to turn the jeep all the way off and get it into park. I tried to restart the jeep but no luck. I tried two more times and on the last attempt the jeep started back up and I was able to get to work although I was unable to use electric at all. So when I got home I got my obd II scanner out and I pulled the following code (P0CA6) but the scanner had no idea what the code was and so I searched google and couldn't find anything there either. I was reading about some other owners of jeep having issues with the fuse box having loose fuses so I went ahead and checked that out and sure enough multiple of my fuses were loose or almost out of place. So I tightened all of them down and checked to see if the CEL was still there and sure enough it was. At this point I was able to charge the jeeps battery up to 100% so I plan on taking it for a drive to see if the code clears or if any other issues arise. I attempted to get in contact with my service dep but had no luck as no one answered the phone so perhaps I will just drive down and try to speak to someone in person. What are your thoughts on this issue? seems like lots of new 4xe are having similar issues. I will post updates on this post as soon as I find the fix with the local service dep.
Good to hear that you were able to charge the high voltage battery. I have yet to experience such an event, knock on wood. Hoping that seating the fuses will be the winning action for this issue. I do not have the advanced safety group which I think includes the adaptive cruise control, could that be a contributing factor? Best of luck in finding a resolution.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I had an almost identical event yesterday AM heading to work. I was maybe 3 miles out from work driving on I80 East in Des Moines, IA., just prior to the ramp to head North on I35 to Ankeny, I selected Electric mode on a slight up hill the engine cycle off like normal but electric mode seemed sluggish (a bit soft and under power). When I made the turn North on the ramp to I35 I experience exactly your noted situation. With any power I lucky to coast out of traffic to a grass median area between two high speed on ramps (not a great area to park). I powered off the 4xe and then back on and on the first try the engine started immediately and electric mode was not available. I was able to make it to work and tested for electric mode a couple more times even after a restart, that was a no go..... I decided to try charging it up from the 25% SOC (state of charge) and it was able to charge to 100%. I then powered it on and immediately the engine started so I let it idle for maybe a minute or two and tried electric mode, not possible once more. On the next power down and up cycle I got a somewhat normal power on with battery only and no IC engine. I did here some contractor cycling under the hood then that halted and everything seemed normal. I have not checked the ODB codes with my OBD2 Bluetooth reader but plan that tonight. Today everything has been 100% normal. I did report the issue yesterday with Jeep Cares and got a case number for my pending service appointment next week.

Crazy to think but maybe I forced an issue switching to electric mode from hybrid under a moderate Kw load and freaked the power management system out with only a battery available which did seem sluggish from what I have seen as normal electric power at only 1500 mile so far.... I will see what if any codes I find.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What month production are y'all's vehicles? Also, have you guys had all the available firmware updates completed by the dealer? I'm curious as I'm just trying to find some kind of fact pattern here maybe in software... My Jeep is in for a different reason, but this error is freaking me out. Hopefully FCA will get off their ass and do a recall because that's freaking dangerous.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You didn't check your fuses when you first got it? My salesman claimed it was an issue on early production models due to the robot that seats the fuses being out of calibration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts