Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

So after a long time waiting for my 4xe to be built, it looks like I'll be getting it in a few weeks. I am going through the dealership in Lake Charles, LA (Mark Dodge) and wanted to make sure I ask them to double check on a list of things prior to picking up the car. It's unfortunate that a ton of people have reported problems with the 4xe, so hopefully I can get ahead of some of these things. I'm sure there are a ton I'm missing and would love to hear anyone's input on what else should be added to this list:
  • Make sure all fuses are properly seated
  • I've read a lot of about checking for the "gas lid" - can anyone elaborate on this one? Something about a check engine light coming on because of the gas lid?
  • All fluids should be topped off
  • Making sure no software updates are needed (I want to make sure one of the more recent rollouts of having Max Regen on after engine start up is implemented)
  • Checking Ball Joints to make sure they are all torqued properly
  • Double check to see if there have been any recalls and action required
I'm sure I'm missing a ton and/or there's only so much I can do to be preemptive about everything. Appreciate everyones help on this though!

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's a good list, but several of those items shouldn't be an issue or a worry.
1. Definitely ask for the fuses to be checked and seated properly!
2. The gas cap had a recall for early models because the connector that holds it to the vehicle was too long. That has already been corrected in production, but still want to make sure the dealer properly reapplied the gas cap after they fill it up with fuel.
3. Topping off all fluids is part of the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) that all dealers do, but still good to make sure they do it.
4. All of your software should be up-to-date as updates are regularly applied at the plant. I picked up my 4xe on 8/28 and it was already up-to-date with Max Regen sticking as it should.
5. I'd asked my dealer to check my ball joints and they were all good, which they even commented that they haven't seen that issue after July this year.
6. Recalls are VIN and production time-frame specific, so you shouldn't have any as those new parts are already in the production process. Again, I got mine on 8/28 and it had no recalls, campaigns, or software updates needed. I even had them check again last week, and dealer confirmed my 4xe was 100% up-to-date.

Ask for the dealer to provide written proof they completed these items, just so you have it documented!

1400 miles on mine so far and it's awesome! Zero issues! My parents and my brother-in-law also bought 4xe's within a week of me and they also have zero issues!

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
114 Posts
Be aware that despite sending in your checklist requests, the dealership may agree yet neglect to actually inspect the vehicle properly, if at all. They should, however, at least apply any software updates applicable to your VIN. Often, you will see buyers mention there were chalk marks ticked on their fuse box, all over the vehicle where they should have inspected, only to still run into the problem of loose fuses. Also stories of driving off the lot or before even driving off the lot, CEL lit up. If dealer’s know there’s an issue with your vehicle, they’d try to get you to take delivery ASAP so that at least then they can start billing FCA for warranty work even if it becomes an outright lemon… so… maybe stand next to the salesperson to witness the (re)inspection when you get there.

When mine went in for the updates, perusing the dealer lot, I saw a new wrangler tagged for delivery/pickup with new owner name on it, with obvious paint damage on the hood likely from transport, unrepaired.

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Grille
Magenta Astronomical object Tints and shades Carmine Peach Tints and shades Magenta Peach Pattern Astronomical object

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a good list, but several of those items shouldn't be an issue or a worry.
1. Definitely ask for the fuses to be checked and seated properly!
2. The gas cap had a recall for early models because the connector that holds it to the vehicle was too long. That has already been corrected in production, but still want to make sure the dealer properly reapplied the gas cap after they fill it up with fuel.
3. Topping off all fluids is part of the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) that all dealers do, but still good to make sure they do it.
4. All of your software should be up-to-date as updates are regularly applied at the plant. I picked up my 4xe on 8/28 and it was already up-to-date with Max Regen sticking as it should.
5. I'd asked my dealer to check my ball joints and they were all good, which they even commented that they haven't seen that issue after July this year.
6. Recalls are VIN and production time-frame specific, so you shouldn't have any as those new parts are already in the production process. Again, I got mine on 8/28 and it had no recalls, campaigns, or software updates needed. I even had them check again last week, and dealer confirmed my 4xe was 100% up-to-date.

Ask for the dealer to provide written proof they completed these items, just so you have it documented!

1400 miles on mine so far and it's awesome! Zero issues! My parents and my brother-in-law also bought 4xe's within a week of me and they also have zero issues!
This is awesome feedback, thank you! And really happy to hear that you've had zero issues with the car so far!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be aware that despite sending in your checklist requests, the dealership may agree yet neglect to actually inspect the vehicle properly, if at all. They should, however, at least apply any software updates applicable to your VIN. Often, you will see buyers mention there were chalk marks ticked on their fuse box, all over the vehicle where they should have inspected, only to still run into the problem of loose fuses. Also stories of driving off the lot or before even driving off the lot, CEL lit up. If dealer’s know there’s an issue with your vehicle, they’d try to get you to take delivery ASAP so that at least then they can start billing FCA for warranty work even if it becomes an outright lemon… so… maybe stand next to the salesperson to witness the (re)inspection when you get there.

When mine went in for the updates, perusing the dealer lot, I saw a new wrangler tagged for delivery/pickup with new owner name on it, with obvious paint damage on the hood likely from transport, unrepaired.

View attachment 2457 View attachment 2458 View attachment 2459
Wow yeah I'm hoping that this dealership doesn't have the same negligence as some of the other dealerships out there. But I will be sure to do what I can to be there in-person to ensure some of these inspections actually take place and they aren't just giving me lip service

·
Registered
82 Posts
I picked up mine from the dealer yesterday, having given them a list like this. Who knows whether they actually implemented it, although I will say that I insisted on my salesman opening up the fuse box in front of me and then I manually pushed down on each fuse. I thought that a couple of them had a little bit of give to my pressure, but the sales guy disagreed. Whatever, but an ounce of prevention… When I arrived home I also went to the website and plugged in my VIN and it said my software was up to date.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I picked up mine from the dealer yesterday, having given them a list like this. Who knows whether they actually implemented it, although I will say that I insisted on my salesman opening up the fuse box in front of me and then I manually pushed down on each fuse. I thought that a couple of them had a little bit of give to my pressure, but the sales guy disagreed. Whatever, but an ounce of prevention… When I arrived home I also went to the website and plugged in my VIN and it said my software was up to date.
What website do you use to check if you have the latest software?

·
Registered
228 Posts
this is what I used, I think it what posted somewhere else on this forum at one point:
lol, I haven't taken delivery yet, but according to this, my software is up to date!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Regarding the ball joints not being torqued to "spec"...what is "spec"? I didn't have the dealer check this but lucking I have a mechanic friend that can if I know what the specification was.

Also, I don't see it here, but the suspension bolts are sometimes loose...is there a torque spec for those as well?

For mine (picked up 10/3) the fuses were all loose even after I asked the dealer to check but it was a simple fix I did myself. The software updates were all good as far as I can tell...the Max regen features stays on thru restarts so that's my only test.

Anything else?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts