Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there! I’m a new Jeep owner as of yesterday. Within 24 hours and 51 miles, our 4Xe died on us. We were sitting in a lot when the dashboard said “service Charging system” error with a red plug illuminated and a red Turtle showed up. We couldn’t drive it at all. I’ve had a lot of vehicles but never had an issue like this. After reading through the “issues” forum, telling you all that I have buyer’s remorse is an understatement. It has been towed to the dealership whose service department was also bewildered. They couldn’t start it either!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello out there! I’m a new Jeep owner as of yesterday. Within 24 hours and 51 miles, our 4Xe died on us. We were sitting in a lot when the dashboard said “service Charging system” error with a red plug illuminated and a red Turtle showed up. We couldn’t drive it at all. I’ve had a lot of vehicles but never had an issue like this. After reading through the “issues” forum, telling you all that I have buyer’s remorse is an understatement. It has been towed to the dealership whose service department was also bewildered. They couldn’t start it either!
@JeepCares

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sorry to hear. :( Been a great vehicle for me so far.

Most of the time they fail so fast it has me thinking it's an assembly line issue. They did million mile plus pre-production testing. It's the flagship vehicle of the brand.

Like is there a disgruntled factory worker out there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Empathy for OP :confused:

They did million mile plus pre-production testing.
Maybe they did but let's be honest there is no way this Jeep would be feasible option for overlanding from Alaska to Patagonia or from Egypt to South Africa as it looks like many issues can't be fixed in the field compared to an ICE vehicle.
When I bought my JK diesel 2.8crd it would dangerously and randomly cut out and stop in the middle of the road. It took it back to the dealer 3 times and they would treat me like I was making it all up. Eventually they found the fault which was a loose earth cable... If they couldn't test for a lose earth cable the first time I took it in I shudder to think how they are going to deal with a hybrid.
I'm still strongly interested though, just waiting to see if some of these issues are a simple fix. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Empathy for OP :confused:

Maybe they did but let's be honest there is no way this Jeep would be feasible option for overlanding from Alaska to Patagonia or from Egypt to South Africa as it looks like many issues can't be fixed in the field compared to an ICE vehicle.
That's a concern with many/most modern vehicles. Even the ice ones are so dependent on electronics and sensors. I'd want something very purpose built if I were driving the African continent. I'd probably pick a Jimny over a JL for that.

This make me think of that time Top Gear tried to destroy an old Toyota truck. It just kept going against incredible abuse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same issue, mine made about 1k miles though. Been in the shop for a week, they have no idea. Something to do when it switches over from Electric to Hybrid/Gas. Either way wont start

·
Registered
201 Posts
We appreciate you tagging us here, HedoRick1976.

So we can discuss your situation further, Nweisser, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been mentioned many times on the FB 4xe group, but did you check the seating of every fuse in the fuse box? Many have found about 50% of the fuses slightly loose which will cause the condition you have. Straight from the factory fuses are not correctly seated all of the way. Report back your findings.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Salesman and I both checked the fuses in the Wrangler date of pick-up (Saturday). We also found 40-60% of fuses and relays loose.

The fuse box even had a chalk mark on it which means someone had looked at them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Same, my fuse box had a chalk line as well.
That's alarming to say the least. From what people are reporting, my research/investigation experience tells me there may be defects in the fuse boxes enabling fuses and relays to work themselves loose over time. When I get mine, that will be added to my normal maintenance/inspection (check oil, tire pressure, etc. and also the fuse box).

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's alarming to say the least. From what people are reporting, my research/investigation experience tells me there may be defects in the fuse boxes enabling fuses and relays to work themselves loose over time. When I get mine, that will be added to my normal maintenance/inspection (check oil, tire pressure, etc. and also the fuse box).

Did you notice a few of the fuses had a plastic holder surrounding the top and were they extremely loose? I couldn't push them in and didn't want to break them.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is my plan as well!

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
33 Posts
Mine also had the chalk mark on the fuse box and still half the fuses were not properly seated. Either the chalk does not mean what we think it means... or Jeep QC is missing very low hanging fruit here. Great idea to add this to regular maintenance/inspection plan, I hadn't heard of fuses loosening up before this thread!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m going through the same thing but they have diagnosed mine.... my 4xe turned into a brick on me with this same hybrid system error while I was out in the woods. Wouldn’t start for me at all, checked all the fuses and still nothing. They say there was a slice in the main hybrid wire harness likely damaged during installation at the factory. Parts for the 4xe are on extreme backorder and the harness will take 45days to arrive (Im in Canada).
The dealership was nice enough to rent me a jl sahara while I wait.
I am on day 30 now.
Hope this helps and I’m sorry to hear your going through the same sort of thing... I know how tough it is being a new vehicle and all.
Here’s a pic of mine at the dealer. You can see the giant plug hanging below.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’m going through the same thing but they have diagnosed mine.... my 4xe turned into a brick on me with this same hybrid system error while I was out in the woods. Wouldn’t start for me at all, checked all the fuses and still nothing. They say there was a slice in the main hybrid wire harness likely damaged during installation at the factory...
I wonder how many like this or other connectors were mishandled/cut during shipping/assembly? I hope Jeep Cares can alert the right people to trace how this (and maybe other wiring issues?) could happen. Sometimes that critical info never gets to the component parts supply chain or the assembly plant to affect changes in handling/procedures.

Really sorry that happened, Canadian4xe, but on the other hand it's hopeful to others that maybe a lot of the issues are of the handling-assembly-screwups kind and not design defects affecting longevity.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts