Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my BEAUTIFUL 4XE Rubicon on Sept 24th as a fresh fresh 09/21 Build from the factory.

I have put just under 500kms (non-freedom units from north of the border), and am unfortunately running into a problem that just started today. I have not been able to find anything like it on the forums yet.

Issue: The jeep runs completely fine, no warning lights or CEL's, starts/stops like normal, however it will not charge and gives me a "Service charging system" warning on the dash when I plug it in to charge. This has been tested on multiple level 2 chargers as well as the provided level 1 charger.

The Jeep will charge itself in e-save mode, so the battery is able to take a charge, and I have not had any symptoms occur while the Jeep is in motion. Only when I plug it in to be charged.

The earliest any dealership in my area was able to get me in was med/late next week. So I am hoping it runs as is until then, and that this is not an early indicator of the more serious charging system faults causing emergency stops.

Has anyone seen, experienced, or heard of anything like this happening?

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Motor vehicle Gauge Steering part Automotive design

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have my 4xe at the moment, but I seem to recall a charging setting that gave the same error. Once I unchecked that particular charge setting I was able to charge right away.

Once the Mrs is back with it I will check!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have my 4xe at the moment, but I seem to recall a charging setting that gave the same error. Once I unchecked that particular charge setting I was able to charge right away.

Once the Mrs is back with it I will check!
It was charging just fine yesterday on the same charger. So I’m not sure what could have changed.
But please let me know!! I’ll try anything at this point. I would hate for this to end up like so many others with the new unit locked away at a dealership for months waiting on parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had exactly that problem. The plug to charge my Jeep melted down. From what I understand, that had something to do with a lack of electrical insulation.They had to replace the board managing the charge of the battery, along with the plug and wiring of course.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Sky

As a precaution to prevent unintentional discharge, I wait 3 seconds from the moment I trigger the release of the charging gun and the moment I remove the gun from the charging port. I noticed a delay for the Jeep to acknowledge to the wall charger a disconnect. If you look at your charger (once your Jeep is repaired), you will notice that the wall charger is still supplying electricity to the Jeep when you squeeze the handle, which means amperage is still high. After a few seconds, the wall charger will stop supplying electricity and removing the plug should be safe. It is kinda weird at it is not the case with my other electric car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Had exactly that problem. The plug to charge my Jeep melted down. From what I understand, that had something to do with a lack of electrical insulation.They had to replace the board managing the charge of the battery, along with the plug and wiring of course.
View attachment 2539

As a precaution to prevent unintentional discharge, I wait 3 seconds from the moment I trigger the release of the charging gun and the moment I remove the gun from the charging port. I noticed a delay for the Jeep to acknowledge to the wall charger a disconnect. If you look at your charger (once your Jeep is repaired), you will notice that the wall charger is still supplying electricity to the Jeep when you squeeze the handle, which means amperage is still high. After a few seconds, the wall charger will stop supplying electricity and removing the plug should be safe. It is kinda weird at it is not the case with my other electric car.
Firstly, thanks for the informative response! Very interesting information. I have many questions…

1. Dare I ask what the turn around on the parts and maintenance for that repair was?

2. Was your Jeep still full functional, including charging itself in e-save, and no CEL’s, after this little meltdown? My only symptom is that it won’t take charge from a plug right now.

3. I will 100% heed the advice of waiting before disconnecting, but want to clarify what you mean when you say trigger the release. Does the Jeep recognize when you push male plugs lock to remove it?

Again, thank you so much for the response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello again,

I know how sad it can be to have such a nice truck and not knowing what is going on.

1. It took 5 weeks for the dealer to chat with Jeep USA and Jeep Canada, investigate what the problem was and provide repair. Being among the first to have that Jeep in my area, they had to document the issue. I believe it should be quicker for new cases.

2. Yes, e-save was working properly. Everything was working properly, except for the charging port. Having my Jeep linked with my UConnect app, the self diagnostic would be good for all systems but I would keep getting the "System charging" message, both on the Jeep and the app would I try to connect the charging plug.

3. The squeeze of the charging gun sends a signal to the internal charger to disconnect, to turn off the charging and have no amperage on the line to prevent electric arc while pulling out the gun. I've been told that there might be unusual latency in that unplugging process causing sparks. Therefore, squeezing the gun for 3 seconds and waiting for the amperage to drop to zero reduces the risk of electric hazards. It makes sense in a way. I'm not an expert but seeing first hand what it did, I kinda agree with the principles.

Cheers.

Yann

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again,

I know how sad it can be to have such a nice truck and not knowing what is going on.

1. It took 5 weeks for the dealer to chat with Jeep USA and Jeep Canada, investigate what the problem was and provide repair. Being among the first to have that Jeep in my area, they had to document the issue. I believe it should be quicker for new cases.

2. Yes, e-save was working properly. Everything was working properly, except for the charging port. Having my Jeep linked with my UConnect app, the self diagnostic would be good for all systems but I would keep getting the "System charging" message, both on the Jeep and the app would I try to connect the charging plug.

3. The squeeze of the charging gun sends a signal to the internal charger to disconnect, to turn off the charging and have no amperage on the line to prevent electric arc while pulling out the gun. I've been told that there might be unusual latency in that unplugging process causing sparks. Therefore, squeezing the gun for 3 seconds and waiting for the amperage to drop to zero reduces the risk of electric hazards. It makes sense in a way. I'm not an expert but seeing first hand what it did, I kinda agree with the principles.

Cheers.

Yann
Sounds like we’re not so different, you and I. It will be sad dropping it off knowing what is likely to come.

It completely makes sense that there is a unloading phase prior to ejecting the plug. What’s surprising is that this is even an issue considering how long PHEV and EV’s have been on the market for.

Anyways, thank you for your clear explanations. Fingers crossed there isn’t 3 month delays on parts required for repair.

EK

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pressing the thumb button on the J1772 connector sends a signal to the EVSE to kill power. The vehicle doesn't have any involvement in that operation. It should be immediate. If the EVSE isn't killing power immediately then it should be repaired or replaced. Sometimes the switch inside the handle is the culprit and needs to be replaced. It is rare, but has happened on occasion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update: The Jeep has now been in the shop since Monday, with no diagnosis and the service manager stating today, four days after the vehicle has been there, that they are going to have to contact engineering next week to assist… I had been calling each day to provide insights that I had found on the forums, and gather updates from the techs, but these efforts were brushed aside.

When I tried to instil some urgency into the service manager by stating he should have contacted engineering 4 days ago and that I would really like to have a timeline for repairs (and parts if they are ultimately required) instead of accomplishing nothing for the week, he responded with “what would you like me to do?” Sarcastically. To which I responded “fix my Jeep…” it was extremely unprofessional.

I have put in a claim with customer service to see if that would push the dealership to actually accomplish something, but that was a waste of time as well. They got the same information from the service manager as I did, said they would continue to follow up, and apologized for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately an apology doesn’t cut it on a $80,000 CAD car with 500kms (300mi), that I am paying for. And an offer of an enterprise rental car to fill the gap, is offensive.

I am a bit lost as this point, and no further ahead in the process. All I want is my Jeep.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Update: The Jeep has now been in the shop since Monday, with no diagnosis and the service manager stating today, four days after the vehicle has need there, that they are going to have to contact engineering next week to assist… I had been calling each day to provide insights that I had found on the forums, and gather updates from the techs, but these efforts were brushed aside.

When I tried to instil some urgency into the service manager by stating he should have contacted engineering 4 days ago and that I would really like to have a timeline for repairs (and parts of they are ultimately required) instead of accomplishing nothing for the week, he responded with “what would you like me to do?” Sarcastically. To which I responded “fix my Jeep…” it was extremely unprofessional.

I have put in a claim with customer service to see if that would push the dealership to actually accomplish something, but that was a waste of time as well. They got the same information from the service manager as I did, said they would continue to follow up, and apologized for the inconvenience.

Unfortunately an apology doesn’t cut it on a $80,000 CAD car with 500kms (300mi), that I am paying for. And an offer of an enterprise rental car to fill the gap, is offensive.

I am a bit lost as this point, and no further ahead in the process. All I want is my Jeep.
I hear you. It is so frustrating. I don’t know what you do for a living but if I approached my job the way these things are being handled I would be fired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello again.

I felt exactly what you're going through now. Although I must admit that the past weeks at playing in the mud washed away the inconvenience I experienced a few weeks ago. After all the repairs done, my Jeep is doing wonderfully. I'll scan the repair bill and send it to you. It will be in French (as I live in Quebec) but you will be able to google-translate it. Repair codes should also be recognizable. As I'm reading multiple threads on this forum, people are having issues which point to the same source: recalls that need to be done.

Had the chance to have a Laramie from Hertz. What about the lease you have?

Yann

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello again.

I felt exactly what you're going through now. Although I must admit that the past weeks at playing in the mud washed away the inconvenience I experienced a few weeks ago. After all the repairs done, my Jeep is doing wonderfully. I'll scan the repair bill and send it to you. It will be in French (as I live in Quebec) but you will be able to google-translate it. Repair codes should also be recognizable. As I'm reading multiple threads on this forum, people are having issues which point to the same source: recalls that need to be done.

Had the chance to have a Laramie from Hertz. What about the lease you have?

Yann
Thanks Yann, that would be hugely helpful! I will give it to the service manager directly on Monday when I go back in person.

I have to wait until this Monday to pick up the rental vehicle, I will be sure to update everyone what they offer me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Yann, that would be hugely helpful! I will give it to the service manager directly on Monday when I go back in person.

I have to wait until this Monday to pick up the rental vehicle, I will be sure to update everyone what they offer me.
Hey! Here is the repair document as requested. Good luck friend.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi again,

In regards to the PDF I've just posted, I've highlighted the important information, imo:
  • Ticket # with Jeep techs was 101952505
  • I had to submit photos of my charging hub to discard issues on my side.
  • It was a huge job to access the proper connector do to the testing.
  • They replaced the charging port.
  • They replaced the IDCM.
  • The cooling liquid had tp be readjusted. Twice.
    • In that regard, I went twice because of the boiling water noise in the backseat.
Cheers.
Yann

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE #2:

Day 7 (Monday): I received a Rental Car, which was a process in itself as I rejected the first seat stained Dodge Ram, and accepted a humble Sahara with limited options. There were no updates from the Dealer, no updates from Engineering support, no update from FCA Customer Care. I follow up with both with little success and very canned responses from customer care. This left a lot to be desired in pursuit of any form of compensation, as I was being made out to be ungrateful for getting a rental car. As apparently FCA does not stand behind there vehicles and normally provide customers, whose brand new cars are broken, an alternative to their vehicle.

Day 8: Crickets

Day 9: This is where it gets interesting. I received a notification early in the morning through the uconnect app, stating my vehicle was charging... :confused: Which left me extremely hopeful. This, and numerous charging fault notification happened a few more times throughout the day.

Early afternoon, I receive a call from the Service Manager with the verdict... After his team had requested a replacement IDCM, engineering made one final suggestion, power the modules down, re-flashed them with the same updated software that was already installed, and turned them back on again... Of course this worked. You can see the service report below.

I expect this issue to arise again, as fundamentally there were zero changes to my Jeep made. However, I am hopeful that the Engineers will come up with a software update to mitigate this from occurring in the future.

I live to Jeep another day and have to commend Mark (after being critical of our initial interaction), the service manager at Islington Chrysler in Toronto ON, for ultimately being the only one to truly care throughout this process. Taking me in the shop multiple times to show me what they were doing, providing insights into the engineering hoops and hurdles they have to go through with these early 4XE's, and being a human and a Jeep guy. (y)(y)

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.